Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 7 Aug 18, 01:08 AM  
Link to this Post

Messed up at the Tolls (possibly twice)

Driving from the airport after the long flight and waiting for our hire car etc (absolutely no excuse but you know how it can be) we went through one of the Sun Pass tolls without stopping/paying, we was in the wrong lane and flowed through with the traffic.

What issues will we have here?

Also, coming off the 417 at the Celebration Av and 192 exit there was a booth on the slip road going down. This wasn't manned and not sign posted the same as the Sun Pass. We did slow down but the cars that started queuing behind started to beep us.

Do you only have to pay at certain times for certain tolls?

Thanks
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 18, 01:21 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Hi Jessica... don't worry, as the tolls are by plate recognition your car supplier will charge your credit card once you return the motor. The amount will be their admin fee plus the tolls, which for the two you missed will be 3.50. Who did you hire your car through? Try a Google search for Orlando car hire toll charges for your supplier.

Edited at 01:22 AM.
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 18, 02:03 AM  
Link to this Post

Thanks ChrisS, we hired through Virgin which was Alamo
Old 7 Aug 18, 06:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Alamo is one of the better ones.

You will be charged only $3.95 admin fee if you don't use the SunPass lanes again.

$3.95 fee per usage day (24 hr. interval) that customer incurs tolls, plus tolls (at posted cash/TOLL-BY-PLATE rates)

However if you now want to carry on using them for convenience again it works out as a good deal.

$19.75 maximum fee per rental period plus tolls (at posted cash/TOLL-BY-PLATE rates)

So you have 3 options
1. Just pay the $3.95 plus tolls that will get billed to your credit card after the car is dropped off
2. Use the lanes for a few days and pay $3.95 plus tolls each usage day
3. Use them for the entire holiday and pay $19.75 plus tolls in total

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 18, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
This is the unmanned toll that you went through at j2 off 417.

Posted this photo a few times on here.

Mick
Old 7 Aug 18, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Twiggy1953
Apprentice Imagineer

Twiggy1953's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Alamo is one of the better ones.

You will be charged only $3.95 admin fee if you don't use the SunPass lanes again.

$3.95 fee per usage day (24 hr. interval) that customer incurs tolls, plus tolls (at posted cash/TOLL-BY-PLATE rates)

However if you now want to carry on using them for convenience again it works out as a good deal.

$19.75 maximum fee per rental period plus tolls (at posted cash/TOLL-BY-PLATE rates)

So you have 3 options
1. Just pay the $3.95 plus tolls that will get billed to your credit card after the car is dropped off
2. Use the lanes for a few days and pay $3.95 plus tolls each usage day
3. Use them for the entire holiday and pay $19.75 plus tolls in total
Just to add to Toms excellent explanation - it can take up to a couple of months to arrive on your credit card. We’ve just been charged £3.81 on our last statement which is $3.95 plus $1 toll. We were there in early June.
Twiggy1953 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 18, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyPCLI
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

We’ve done this without realising and my CC got billed about a month or so after I returned
No issues
Old 9 Aug 18, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post

This is why this forum is excellent. Thanks guys for all the advice its truly appreciated. :-)

Yes that pic looks about right it all happened so fast. Must admit I didn't notice the Sun Pass signs above. However would explain the honking from the car behind when I slowed down on the right hand side lane when the other driver would have had a pass :-O

I suspect the words 'tourist' along with at least one expletive made up his or her sentence at that time :-)
Old 9 Aug 18, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hi Miss Rabbit (or may I call you Jessica - we're all friends here)

Hindsight is a wonderful gift but had you come on here before you went away and asked about tolls we regulars would have saved you a lot of stress.

I would have also posted my other "famous" toll plaza photo - the first one you reach on 417 after leaving MCO.

I'd have said drive through the "pay cash" lane and give them no more than a $20 bill and ask for change. You'll need four quarters to get through the unmanned toll in my earlier post

But as others have said no need to worry you'll just get a charge to your CC eventually.

Mick
Old 14 Aug 18, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
boo2
Imagineer

boo2's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

Sorry to jump on your post but we have just driven up from Miami and we’re concerned we went through the wrong lanes 😐 . We hired with Alamo and presumed we just drive through the Sunpass land but there seemed to be 2 types of Sunpass lanes. Have we gone through the wrong one?
When we came off at a junction to get food the cars in front got the message Sunpass go, we got nothing I’m worried because a toll van came alongside us and DH thought he gave us a funny look, slowed beside us and then went on his radio. We just drove through the Sunpass lanes but there seemed to be 2 different types of signs