Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 14 Aug 18, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Northerndave
Being a bit Goofy

Car Hire - Found a bargain, but what choice would you make?

Another what would you do question...and a heads-up if you're looking for a car in the next few weeks.

Was booked for a Standard SUV for 13 day hire @ £340, but found a bargain for a full-size (Tahoe etc).

Rental is with Alamo for next month and is £425 from Opodo, via Skyscanner for 13 days.

Has all the standard insurances, with zero excess but does not include cover for glass, wheels, roof, underside of vehicle.

Autoeurope are doing the same, Alamo Full Size, again with all the standard insurances, but with extended cover for glass, wheels, roof, underside for £447

Can't remember having the additionals on previous rentals, but would you pay the additional £22 for the cover and piece of mind?
Old 14 Aug 18, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

I do so for 22 fine by me.
The add on is a purely personal choice no right or just do as suits you.
I like for key cover as generally only one issued these days.
But if choose to save the 20 quid fine by me too.
Old 14 Aug 18, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
tllasa
Trying for More Ears

Thanks for the heads up. Have been watching prices for car hire for the trip next month and the full size saloon hasn't moved from the £270 mark for a while. Used the Opodo search engine selecting only Alamo (who we only use) and it came back with one option at £225. Looked everywhere for the catch but couldn't see one, even the insurance list checked out and the voucher is direct from Alamo themselves it would appear (with try and match it up to Savetime later). Strangely they also had the regular Alamo full size price at £277 there as well as an option. It did appear to be one driver only but that's all we use.

So I appear to have saved £50! Thanks.

As for the extra cover question, we've never taken it but it's all about your own peace of mind. If you're not sure and likely to worry, the cost is irrelevant...
tllasa is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
99plums
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tllasa View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Have been watching prices for car hire for the trip next month and the full size saloon hasn't moved from the £270 mark for a while. Used the Opodo search engine selecting only Alamo (who we only use) and it came back with one option at £225. Looked everywhere for the catch but couldn't see one, even the insurance list checked out and the voucher is direct from Alamo themselves it would appear (with try and match it up to Savetime later). Strangely they also had the regular Alamo full size price at £277 there as well as an option. It did appear to be one driver only but that's all we use.

As for the extra cover question, we've never taken it but it's all about your own peace of mind. If you're not sure and likely to worry, the cost is irrelevant...
I’m just looking at this too, it’s £471 for a Full Size SUV for my dates, that’s definitely the cheapest I’ve seen one for in the last 10 months!

I’ve also rented through Auto Europe in the past, and whilst everything has been fine, I’m not convinced the ‘extra cover’ is the same as Alamo’s extra cover. There’s never a mention about it on your actual Alamo voucher and there’s also no mention of lost key cover or tyre changing cover with the Auto Europe one.

Edited at 06:38 PM.
99plums is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Northerndave
Being a bit Goofy

It's listed on the AutoEurope voucher as including:

* Wheels, glass, tires, roof and undercarriage insurance.

* Basic roadside assistance including tire
repair/replacement, towing costs and glass repair.

But on the Alamo voucher there is no difference in coverages ?

** Edit **

Phoned Auto Europe and it's not an Alamo provided coverage, it is provided by the broker (AE) itself. So let's say someone smashed the windscreen, you would

1. Phone the Police (normal)

2. Phone Alamo (normal)

3. Then phone AutoEurope and report it to them

4. Hopefully AE after speaking to Alamo then sort out a replacement (or covers the cost of an Alamo replacement)

So not quite the seamless operation I was hoping for. Never purchased this cover in the past, so may have a think on !

Edited at 07:30 PM.
Northerndave is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Northerndave
Being a bit Goofy

Originally Posted by tllasa View Post

Have you tried Skyscanner and then select the Opodo option for the same size of car, came out cheaper for me.
Old 14 Aug 18, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
If it helps it was clarified on here last year by a Dibber and the Alamo legal dept that CDW covers a windscreen

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Northerndave
Being a bit Goofy

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
If it helps it was clarified on here last year by a Dibber and the Alamo legal dept that CDW covers a windscreen
It does, thanks Tom
Old 14 Aug 18, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
99plums
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Northerndave View Post
It's listed on the AutoEurope voucher as including:

* Wheels, glass, tires, roof and undercarriage insurance.

* Basic roadside assistance including tire
repair/replacement, towing costs and glass repair.

But on the Alamo voucher there is no difference in coverages ?

** Edit **

Phoned Auto Europe and it's not an Alamo provided coverage, it is provided by the broker (AE) itself. So let's say someone smashed the windscreen, you would

1. Phone the Police (normal)

2. Phone Alamo (normal)

3. Then phone AutoEurope and report it to them

4. Hopefully AE after speaking to Alamo then sort out a replacement (or covers the cost of an Alamo replacement)

So not quite the seamless operation I was hoping for. Never purchased this cover in the past, so may have a think on !
You may find you might have to pay for any damage/repairs yourself and then claim it back from whoever Auto Europe use.
99plums is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 18, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
mandy s
Earning More Ears

Just saved myself £86 with your suggestion re Skyscanner and opodo, much appreciated 😁😁😁💞
mandy s is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List