Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 14 Aug 18, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Sam_Smith
slightly serious Dibber

Vegas for my 50th - Day 5 - Going home (highs and lows)

So we are going home today but our flight isn't until 14:30.

First stop was breakfast. We actually found that the Excalibur had a whole floor we had not even visited, which was a food court and restaurants! We had seen adverts all over the foyer for their new all you can eat buffet, but we ended up finding a counter service place call Breakfast Burgers and purchased a selection of breakfast offerings to share

No more than $20 spent and tummies full we decided to ride the free monorail that runs from the Excalibur to the Mandalay Bay, to see what that hotel had to offer. We didn't want to go too far from the hotel and we hadn't been into the Mandalay Bay, so this was a perfect choice for the next couple of hours.

It was still quite early so the monorail was empty and actually so was the hotel pretty much

They have an aquarium so we made our way to the back of the hotel complex to see if it was open.

It wasn't

Never mind, by the time we got back to the Excalibur it was time to pack and check out anyway.

We checked out and went outside to get a cab back to the airport, which was painless and quick. Once we found our gate we face timed my son to have a chat. We showed him that even the airport departure lounge had fruit machines in!

It was only about 12:30pm so I had a wander and bought a travel pillow from Ayala's Concessions for $10 and a set of Sony headphones from Hudson News for $59.99 to keep DH happy on the journey home

Flight boarded on time and we only had a 1 hour connection in Chicago.

So that's it for my 50th birthday holiday. It was a wonderful experience and maybe we will go back one day, but I think a California road trip might be on the agenda for next year.

We had a dog friendly week in Wales in July which we spent in a lovely cottage miles from anywhere with very limited wifi and the added luxury of a hot tub and sauna

Bliss

With deserted beaches on the doorstep

We will definitely be doing this again

Highs
Getting free upgrades from our friend who works for UA
The Canyon - Wow just wow!
The Hoover Dam - just incredible
The Shelby museum
The Excalibur
Tournament of Kings
Cramming in as much as we did

Lows
Flying indirect makes for a very long travel day and staying only 5 nights meant it was very hard to adjust to the time difference (at our age anyway)
The very strong smell of marijuana - not getting into the legalise cannabis debate here, but it was just so obvious and absolutely everywhere, and the smell made me feel sick
The crazies - yes I know everywhere has them but these were off their heads!
The ticket sellers - not so much a low for us as we know how to deter them and they were all very polite, but they were everywhere!

Edited at 10:04 PM.
Sam_Smith is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 18, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Sam_Smith
slightly serious Dibber

Update on the California Road trip for next year...

Flights are booked! 😜👍✈️

1st - 19th June 2019.

Let the planning commence