Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 21 Aug 17, 05:28 AM  
Link to this Post
AnnieB
Imagineer

Food poisoning at Ohana?

We finally made it to Ohana after missing out on our trip four years ago.

We ate at 5 pm. I had the tofu option, my son had chicken and steak, and my husband had chicken, steak and shrimp, plus the starter meat dishes - I am not sure what they were as I did not eat any.

By 1am, my husband was very ill with some sort of bug or food poisoning. He was in bed for all of the next day feeling nauseous and shaky, but fortunately it only lasted 24 hours. No one else in the family was affected.

Has anyone else ever had suspected food poisoning at Disney World? It could of course have been a bug - but we were sharing a hotel room, spent all day together and none of the rest of us caught it, which makes me suspect the shrimp ...

Edited at 05:29 AM.
AnnieB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 17, 05:46 AM  
Link to this Post
riversider2014
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

It's too soon for food poisoning to kick in for it to be that, it's usually at least 1-2 days

March 2015 - http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=865148
riversider2014 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 17, 06:21 AM  
Link to this Post
TartanTink
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Food poisoning from fish or seafood kicks in much quicker can be within a couple of hours, I once had food poisoning from the Mexican in Epcot from the seafood platter, I was fine after about 12 hours

Tartan Tink
TartanTink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 17, 06:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Eden
Very Serious Dibber

My mum thinks she had food poisoning from Ohana back in 2013
It wouldn't have been fish though as she doesn't eat fish, most likely the chicken
2019 - Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort
2024 - Clearwater/Orlando/Cheerleading Competition!
Eden is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 17, 06:46 AM  
Link to this Post
nadya
Imagineer

we had raw chicken once in ohana😣.bit into chicken wings and there was blood in the middle!.i wasn't too well that night but wether it was the chicken or just the thought of the raw meat that turned my stomach i don't know!dh felt very ill too.not been back -such a shame as the rest of the food/experience was great
nadya is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 17, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
SEAWORLD FAN
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by riversider2014 View Post
It's too soon for food poisoning to kick in for it to be that, it's usually at least 1-2 days
I thought that too until I got a particularly bad bout in Tenerife when I became violently sick about 4 hours after eating. I had seafood paella from a buffet but in my defence it had just been brought out and I was the first to dig in. It was our first night too and what a night it was!
SEAWORLD FAN is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 17, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

My son got food poisoning from chicken when in dubai. It kicked in after about 4-6 hours. He was also shaky, sleepy etc the next day but fully recovered in 36 hours max

Edited at 10:24 AM.
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 17, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Gezzs
Imagineer

I had a dodgy chicken kebab years ago. I felt fine until the middle of the night (about six hours later) when I felt sick. When I got up to go to the bathroom, I fell over - like I was drunk (I wasn't). I spent the next day in bed, shaking. After 24 hours I was fine. I believe this was food poisoning.

Florida: July 2009, Aug 2011, Sept 2014, Sept 2018, Sept 2024
Disneyland Paris: Dec 2023
Gezzs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 17, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

If you consider the shed load of food that is served and eaten in WDW the opportunity for contamination is massive.

Accepting that Disney have the very highest standards when storing, cooking, serving and keeping food (for buffets), the occasional 'bad egg' is almost impossible to rule out.

I am sure the vast majority of Dibbers have eaten out many many times, at many many locations and all been fine, including all over the world and back home.

Sorry to hear of DH's illness and I hope he is better now, but I struggle to see the significance of the post.

Disney332
Old 21 Aug 17, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

I remember having food poising from tuna in spain , we hadn't even left the restaurant and I didn't feel well , half an hour later I was so ill. I now know that's how it happens with tuna. There was another dibber on here with a stomach bug and as of yet her children hadn't got it just her and her husband.