Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 5 Jun 18, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
You've also, perhaps unknowingly, given a tip to others, don't complete API if you know you're going to need to renew your pp and ESTA as it may lead to confusion

This is a very good tip

Let's remind DIBBers that API is part of the online check in process, and even if you don't do Online Check in, it's part of the physical check in process at the airport

so you will eventually complete API at some point

I never complete API in advance, because the API information have to be entered during online check in
the sole benefit of doing API in advance is that the required fields are already populated during OLCI and you save a couple of minutes ... but as OP's mishaps has outlined, you could also waste valuable time and generate a huge amount of stress if the information change between API and OLCI (like new passport)

some people seem to go to panic mode when they see ... 8 months out ... a line like "passenger details are required" ... there is really no need to panic, doing that at OLCI is early enough

Edited at 04:17 PM.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 18, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
waiting4disney
Imagineer

Mobile

Some people are randomly selected for airport check in at the airport maybe it was something to do with that.

Virgin once accidentally scanned my husbands passport twice so he was flagged up as flying on a fake passport. We were at the gate after 20 mins they let us board and said they would sort it before we landed.
Thankfully all was fine when we arrived.
Old 5 Jun 18, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Not sure I would call it “horrific” though.
No you don’t need a passport to fly down from Scotland.
You have a valid esta, there shoukd be no issues when you check in in London.
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 18, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
b00110908
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Warkman58 View Post
Not sure I would call it “horrific” though.
No you don’t need a passport to fly down from Scotland.
You have a valid esta, there shoukd be no issues when you check in in London.
If you've planned your holiday, spent a fortune and get told there's an issue but it "should" be sorted tomorrow at the airport and don't think that's poor service then good on you. I don't plan to check in in London - I plan to check in online beforehand. If I give a company hundreds of pounds of my money I expect service. If someone comes to me with an issue in my work I stand up and say I will make sure this is sorted for you. I expect others to do the same
b00110908 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 18, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Big Dog
Imagineer

I think the title horrific is a bit much but yes it's an unpleasant experience for sure.

What I don't understand is why you did API when you knew your were going to need a new passport and subsequent ESTA? Yes it appears in hindsight that it's an easy fix which it obviously wasn't but when you do your own API and own ESTA and that is where the problem originates then it's hardly BA's fault.

Glad you got sorted though.
Big Dog is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 18, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
I think the title horrific is a bit much but yes it's an unpleasant experience for sure.

What I don't understand is why you did API when you knew your were going to need a new passport and subsequent ESTA? Yes it appears in hindsight that it's an easy fix which it obviously wasn't but when you do your own API and own ESTA and that is where the problem originates then it's hardly BA's fault.

Glad you got sorted though.
I agree. The title make it sounds like it was BAs problem when it obviously the OP played a big part in it by not updating the API information after getting new passport which you can do at any time up to check in.

Maybe the title shoud be edited as this would have also happen at any airline if the OP did exactly the same with them.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 18, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
b00110908
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
I agree. The title make it sounds like it was BAs problem when it obviously the OP played a big part in it by not updating the API information after getting new passport which you can do at any time up to check in.

Maybe the title shoud be edited as this would have also happen at any airline if the OP did exactly the same with them.
You are correct in what you say however, it's not the "problem" that is the issue. It is the fact that no-one at BA were willing to put their hands up to help. Hours on phones, tens of tweets - everyone wanting to pass you to someone else.
Then one person does it in 5-10minutes? Why not do that on the first contact?
It is the way I would have expected Ryanair to deal with an issue - not BA.

Here's the bit that gets me - if someone had done that on the first call it would have saved BA so much time, me so much time and hassle and left me with a good impression.

Instead they decide it's worth them spending hours on the phone as well as me.
Old 5 Jun 18, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Persnicketty
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by b00110908 View Post
It is the way I would have expected Ryanair to deal with an issue - not BA.
Unfortunately, we never really know how things will go with any company until something goes wrong. Always hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

I used to enthusiastically recommend a well known high st tour operator who had enjoyed my loyalty for about 15 years ... until I had to sue them (successfully) for several thousand quid.

Their behaviour shocked me - I found them twisted, cynical and borderline malicious. Even when it was clear they were morally, ethically, factually and legally in the wrong, lies became their stock in trade.

By comparison, unpleasant as this experience was, it fortunately hasn't really resulted in any actual loss, other than a few frustrated hours. Best thing to do is let the red mist settle and re-examine it from a calmer place and you'll see it was really a badly timed storm in a teacup. No point in wasting heart muscle over it
Persnicketty is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 18, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
b00110908
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Persnicketty View Post
Unfortunately, we never really know how things will go with any company until something goes wrong. Always hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

I used to enthusiastically recommend a well known high st tour operator who had enjoyed my loyalty for about 15 years ... until I had to sue them (successfully) for several thousand quid.

Their behaviour shocked me - I found them twisted, cynical and borderline malicious. Even when it was clear they were morally, ethically, factually and legally in the wrong, lies became their stock in trade.

By comparison, unpleasant as this experience was, it fortunately hasn't really resulted in any actual loss, other than a few frustrated hours. Best thing to do is let the red mist settle and re-examine it from a calmer place and you'll see it was really a badly timed storm in a teacup. No point in wasting heart muscle over it
Agreed!
Old 5 Jun 18, 11:44 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

b00 - it'll seem like a bad dream tomorrow, head off and have a good holiday.

Had you been aware it would have only taken a couple of mins to self update your API with your new, valid, pp number which BA would have then tied into your ESTA. You can edit your API up to point of OLCI. Unfortunately as it messed up BA's puter system it may have been out of many agents remit to correct. Likely their advice to sort it at the airport is their standard response, and as others said the check-in agent should be able to enter the system and correct. We had a similar situation when, at VA OLCI, it didn't request hubs B2 visa details, only mine, but still checked us in, I decided to resolve at check-in. The helpful lad admitted the system hadn't been told to ask for his visa number, so at our request he was more than happy to enter it manually. By the time we got to the US we'd forgotten all about it and nothing was asked.

Edited at 12:09 AM.
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List