Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 25 Jul 14, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
m84ourlife
slightly serious Dibber

Great thread cheers for all the tips
m84ourlife is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 14, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dreamcatcher View Post
Hi

Never done car hire before so need a bit of help please.

Looked for a car via skyscanners-Argus car Rental-Alamo and in print its telling me to ensure enough on card to cover a deposit once there?

Is this normal?
Do they actually take the money or just swipe the card?
How much would it be?

Please help don't want to book and then have a costly bill. Thanks in advance and sorry if posted in wrong place.xx
Some companies put a "hold" on a sum on the card and some don't. It also seems to depend on whether you pay up front or when you arrive.
With Alamo, if you pay up front when you book, there is nothing held against the card and the swipe is only for identification. But if you choose to pay when you collect the car they "hold" and extra couple of hundred dollars (not sure exactly sure how much).
This "hold" is not a charge and you wont have to pay it as such; but what it does mean is that for the period of the "hold" it reduces the limit on the card by that amount - so you can't spend it.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 14, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
nordictat2girl
Imagineer

Bumping!
West Coast road trip 2018 (CO,CA,MT,ID,WA,OR,NV,UT) Yellowstone/Yosemite
Alabama, Florida & New Orleans - May 19
nordictat2girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 14, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post

When I booked with alamo I paid on arrival and they only took the amount of the rental from my card no extra money or hold or deposit of any kind, I used the online check in and the counter bypass ticket, I was really worried about the car hire as there are all sorts of stories online but my experience was really positive.
I rented in orlando from MCO and also from LAX, both times with alamo and I was really pleased with them!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 14, 07:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Crackerx
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Hi was just wondering have booked an SUV with Alamo Brits it comes with fully inc plus insurance and we are going to pay in advance for a tank of fuel but was wondering do I need to pay extra for the roadside assistance I paid it last time I went and then someone told me you don't need too as they are not going to leave you and the car stranded. Any thoughts on this would be very welcome 😀😀
Crackerx is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 14, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post
nordictat2girl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Crackerx View Post
Hi was just wondering have booked an SUV with Alamo Brits it comes with fully inc plus insurance and we are going to pay in advance for a tank of fuel but was wondering do I need to pay extra for the roadside assistance I paid it last time I went and then someone told me you don't need too as they are not going to leave you and the car stranded. Any thoughts on this would be very welcome 😀😀
Morning.
You don't need to buy that extra roadside assistance. If something happens with the car...you just call Alamo...they won't leave you stranded!
Hopefully everything will go smoothly for you though
nordictat2girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 14, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Crackerx
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by nordictat2girl View Post
Morning.
You don't need to buy that extra roadside assistance. If something happens with the car...you just call Alamo...they won't leave you stranded!
Hopefully everything will go smoothly for you though
Hi thanks very much for the reply that's good to know as it's always worrying when they tell you that you need it or have to have it I just want to make sure I have adequate cover 😀😀
Crackerx is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 14, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post
nordictat2girl
Imagineer

You're welcome
Mmmhmmm...I agree. They will try various methods trying to make you feel insecure. That's why we try to avoid the desk all together and go out to the garage and or use a kiosk (like Alamo has)...who are you using?
Old 26 Jul 14, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Potterfan5686
slightly serious Dibber

Potterfan5686's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Hi sorry to intrude on your post, but how much is the save time through Alamo? Do you have any idea? Thanks
Potterfan5686 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 14, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Crackerx
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by nordictat2girl View Post
You're welcome
Mmmhmmm...I agree. They will try various methods trying to make you feel insecure. That's why we try to avoid the desk all together and go out to the garage and or use a kiosk (like Alamo has)...who are you using?
Hi we are going through Alamo Brits and flying into sanford we are going to do the save time which hopefully means I can then avoid the desk. 😊