Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 13 Jan 19, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Princess104 View Post
Well decided to redo our ESTA's having done them in November without our middle names, re-done them today and approved within an hour. Can relax now.
I’ve redone mine too after the response they sent me I just did them all for peace of mind!
Old 13 Jan 19, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
FindingMerida
Apprentice Imagineer

FindingMerida's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I posted this on another thread, but my husband completed an ESTA on 22nd Oct 2018 without his middle name (which is on the same line on his passport). We travelled to Boston on November 2018 without any issues
May 2016 - DLP Newport Bay Club Oct 2016 - DIBB Villa, BLT
Jun 2017 - DIBB Villa, HRH, AKV
Mar 2018 - DLP Magic Circus Jun 2018 - DCL Magic 7 Day Med
Sep 2018 - DLP 36K Challenge Nov 2018 - DLP Sequoia Lodge at Christmas
Apr 2019 - DIBB Villa, AKV, BLT
Sep 2019 - DLP 36K Challenge
Oct 2019 - DCL Fantasy 7 day Western Caribbean
Sep 2020 - DLP 36K Challenge
FindingMerida is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
hawki
Imagineer

I just did mine today & decided to try & upload passport thinking it would be better. It added extra letters after my name so I left it like that, but when I did DH's passport it showed his first name & then some random letters, not his middle name! So with his I deleted the random letters & put his middle name in!
They were both approved in 10 minutes, which surprised me!
Port Orleans Riverside - 2011,2012, 2014,2015,2016,2017 RPR 2015,2016,Grand California,POR & HRH 2017 DLP Newport Bay 2018 Sequoia Lodge 2019 Grand California,HRH CSR 2019
hawki is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 19, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

ESTA, US clarifies given name requirement

As many are aware, the DHS/CBP update requiring passport/ESTA given names to match, led to irritibility amid advice not to renew ESTA as, apparently, the US have yet to enforce (hopefully the US advise enforcement date). Be mindful that the clarification update is a US decision, please don't be irritible to imparting forum members.

Thanks to YorkshireT, who I believe recently ESTA applied, the US have, on page one (Enter Applicant Information) further clarified their requirement with additional text and a diagram outling the name within passport chevrons to compound their requirements.

No idea what date the US initially updated the requirement (rumour is Oct 2018) or if/when they'll enforce, as they've further clarified perhaps they intend to enforce... or not! Possibly recent clarification will aid those who don't hover over the more info ? ... or not!

This clarification may continue to cause ESTA re-apply uncertainty for some, especially as the US are not yet enforcing travel document match. It's worth noting the terms in the pre-completion Disclaimer one must acknowledge before continuing: I have read and understand the information and agree to these terms.
Terms include the following: All information provided by you, or on your behalf by a designated third party, must be true and correct. An electronic travel authorization may be revoked at any time and for any reason, such as new information influencing eligibility.
Old 25 May 19, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Do we know if this applies to ESTAs arranged before the names change came into effect? My sisters doesn’t have her middle name as we got it last year but I needed a new passport so have an ESTA with middle name. If there’s any doubt I’ll just apply for another one but I’d rather not have to.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 19, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
Do we know if this applies to ESTAs arranged before the names change came into effect? My sisters doesn’t have her middle name as we got it last year but I needed a new passport so have an ESTA with middle name. If there’s any doubt I’ll just apply for another one but I’d rather not have to.
Hi Lisa, many are unsure. Brother asked me what he should do, I said the ultimate decision had to be his. After some thought/conversation re updates not yet being enforced/would the US enforcement date advise, he decided to stay with their pre-update ESTA's but as my niece/her hubs and bairns is due they [carefully!] followed the update, placing all given names as instructed.

Strictly personal (from moi, the risk taker!), if hubs and I VWP travelled vs B2 visa, we'd ESTA re-apply, but I understand why those holding pre-Oct 2018 ESTA's don't, including bro and sis in law. My decision revolves around being hauled into immigration Secondary interview, altho all was corrected and the Supervisor was superb, it was very disconcerting and isn't something I want to repeat. I now go out of my way to ensure compliance to the best of my ability.
Old 25 May 19, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
We all have ESTAs from early last year. Thing is, if I didn't read this blog I wouldn't be aware of any changes so I would find it difficult to believe that CBP would get too upset if they were presented with an ESTA without a middle name IF IT WERE ISSUED PRIOR TO THE CHANGE (I'm not shouting, just emphasising).

What they would do with those issued after the change (whenever that was) I have no idea.
Old 25 May 19, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Burgmeister View Post
We all have ESTAs from early last year. Thing is, if I didn't read this blog I wouldn't be aware of any changes so I would find it difficult to believe that CBP would get too upset if they were presented with an ESTA without a middle name IF IT WERE ISSUED PRIOR TO THE CHANGE (I'm not shouting, just emphasising).

What they would do with those issued after the change (whenever that was) I have no idea.
Whilst it has been under the more info ? for a few month's, it's VERY OBVIOUS NOW (emphasising, I like that BM ) as they show a diagram and added info to the 'hover over' ? at the first question.

As above, I'll do owt to ensure I'm au fait with the US, at the end of the day if they decide to enforce they could, but whether they would knowing the fallout would be huge, who knows! A pure guess, they may wait until circa Oct 2020.

Edited at 08:31 PM.
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 19, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
carolmc
Imagineer

I think you may well find that not being up-to date with requirements is not a defence - the onus is on every traveller, to any destination, to ensure they comply with current rules/ visas etc. It even says so on every ticket booked - whether with an airline direct or booked as a customer of a travel agent. I think you will find it in every brochure too.
I would just get a new ESTA if in any doubt.
Old 25 May 19, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by carolmc View Post
I think you may well find that not being up-to date with requirements is not a defence - the onus is on every traveller, to any destination, to ensure they comply with current rules/ visas etc. It even says so on every ticket booked - whether with an airline direct or booked as a customer of a travel agent. I think you will find it in every brochure too.
I would just get a new ESTA if in any doubt.
Whilst, of course, this is obviously true I don't think even the CBP would be unreasonable enough to expect you to know about something that is only documented in the ESTA application form itself. If you don't know you need a new ESTA (as you got one prior to the change) then you won't have seen the requirement as you won't have been using the form.

Of course, if they were to announce that you need another form to enter the US then ignorance would not be a defense but you are currently asked for a valid ESTA and a passport. I have both. They do not state anywhere (other than the ESTA application form) that if you hold an ESTA it must now have middle names on

Edited at 06:15 PM.
Burgmeister is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List