Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 Jun 19, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

So we are now on page 40 of this thread and I have to admit I've not read all of the posts as some of them seem to be reiterative.

In my mind I face two scenarios here:

1) I have an ESTA which i applied for in FEB 18 which - as far as I know - was before the "Enter middle name" requirement was mentioned on the online system. My passport does have a a middle name on the machine readable area but I didn't enter it on the application. It was fine when I (and my son) entered via MIA in july 18 and I suspect will be fine when we enter via MCO in August this year. Unless anyone can give me reasons to otherwise I don;t think I need to submit a new application for an ESTA that iss already in validity.

2) When I have to apply for my next ESTA I will enter my middle name - if I don't and it gets declined online or at point of entry then really I only have myself to blame for not following the new instructions.

However the moment I read/hear of a current ESTA (as per my point 1) being declined for the middle name reason or entry being refused at the POE then I may reconsider applying!
Old 12 Jun 19, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by carolmc View Post
There has been so much talk "on here" re how to fill out the forms and now the website actually has pictures too , so no I don't feel I was being harsh - just stating the facts.

We need to remember that USA uses language differently - words sound the same but often have a very different meaning... my take on "given name" was always that it refers to the naming given by parents.
And you need to remember that just because you’ve seen this information mentioned on here a thousand times doesn’t mean others have. The website has only recently added the picture so thousands would be completely unaware before this, me included.
My take on First Given Name is its my first name that my parents gave me. My middle names are, well middle names

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
metalguru
Apprentice Imagineer

metalguru's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
And you need to remember that just because you’ve seen this information mentioned on here a thousand times doesn’t mean others have. The website has only recently added the picture so thousands would be completely unaware before this, me included.
My take on First Given Name is its my first name that my parents gave me. My middle names are, well middle names
Regardless of this, they've changed the ESTA so that you have to include your middle name if it appears on your passport. They've added the passport picture to help make this clear. There must be a reason for this. At some point we may find out.

I renewed our ESTA's this year and without seeing this on the Dibb I would have just filled them in blindly without our middle names, like the previous years.

Edited at 10:54 AM.
metalguru is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
carolmc
Imagineer

Originally Posted by metalguru View Post
Regardless of this, they've changed the ESTA so that you have to include your middle name if it appears on your passport. They've added the passport picture to help make this clear. There must be a reason for this. At some point we may find out.
That's my feelings exactly ….we all know current President is hot on folks coming to USA so who knows ? , maybe ESTA might disappear and we all have to have visa like we did in 1994 when we first went to USA
Old 12 Jun 19, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by metalguru View Post
Seems pretty clear to me.

In the First (Given) Name field, enter ALL names exactly as they appear on your passport in the First (Given) Name field. If a second or middle name is included in the First (Given) Name field on your passport, it must also be included here. This field is required to complete the application.
So if it is that clear than answer me this

My esta was completed in September 2018 without a middle name. If it OK or not? Simple question with a yes/no answer.

If you are clear - then can you answer please. A simple "yes my esta is valid" or "no my esta is not valid"

Edited at 10:56 AM.
tspill is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Tsoski
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
If you are clear - then can you answer please. A simple "yes my esta is valid" or "no my esta is not valid"
I don't work for the Department of Homeland Security but if when you log in to look at your ESTA and it says:

Authorization Approved and the expires date is later than your return date...

yes my esta is valid
Tsoski is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
carolmc
Imagineer

Yes - would be my take, it's valid until it expires at which point all the new ESTA's will have this information ….they only last two years so will "wash out" of the system fairly quickly.
Old 12 Jun 19, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
metalguru
Apprentice Imagineer

metalguru's Reviews
Originally Posted by tspill View Post
So if it is that clear than answer me this

My esta was completed in September 2018 without a middle name. If it OK or not? Simple question with a yes/no answer.

If you completed an ESTA before the middle name change I would imagine that it will be valid until it expires. If you completed it after the middle name change and didn't add your middle name if you have one on your passport, then technically it's not been completed correctly. What the implications are with regard to this going forward, who knows?

The authorities will know when an individual completed their ESTA , so will know if it's been completed correctly to the guidelines at the time.

Edited at 11:18 AM.
metalguru is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Whilst I would like to think that most of us on the dibb like to think we are being helpful answering questions like this the answers we give are not authoritative. IMHO the only people who can answer this definatively are the CBP themselves.

I have asked the question of them and if I get a reply I will update (accepted that my answer will be second hand)

BB

UPDATE: So the response from CBP came back very quickly (see below) and I'm not sure it answers the question for valid ESTAs wihout middle names!

Good day,

It has always been recommended that the ESTA application match the machine readable zone of the passport to minimize the potential for delays or denial of boarding.

This clarification is also displayed by clicking the red "?" button on the top right of the data field box and also by clicking on the sample passport to the right of the name fields.
The name on the ESTA application must be entered exactly as it appears on the passport in the machine readable zone. These are the two lines of text with numbers and chevrons (<<<) at the bottom of the personal information page with the passport bearer's picture:

LASTNAME<<FIRSTNAME<OTHERNAMES

If you determine that your application contains incorrect information then you will have to submit a new application. Once an application has been submitted, no changes can be made. This is because the ESTA application is considered an official court document.

If you reapply, the system will recognize that an application already exists for that passport and ask if you want to continue. Simply click "yes/continue" and you can proceed with a new application. Every submitted application requires the associated $14 USD application fee. A new application automatically cancels an existing application and generates a new application number.

Thank you,

Edited at 11:30 AM.
BucksBugsy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
metalguru
Apprentice Imagineer

metalguru's Reviews
[QUOTE=BerkshireBugsy;13897993]Whilst I would like to think that most of us on the dibb like to think we are being helpful answering questions like this the answers we give are not authoritative. IMHO the only people who can answer this definatively are the CBP themselves.

I have asked the question of them and if I get a reply I will update (accepted that my answer will be second hand)

BB

UPDATE: So the response from CBP came back very quickly (see below) and I'm not sure it answers the question for valid ESTAs wihout middle names!

I think it is pretty damn clear. If you have a current ESTA and you have a middle name on your passport but you haven't on your current ESTA, they're saying you need to submit a new application with your middle name included.