Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Closed Thread

Old 16 Jul 19, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Ritz
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

OP maybe you were just unlucky, as you said in another post you have stayed at CSR before and enjoyed it https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1105428
So you knew it was a convention centre.
Ritz is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by lorr05 View Post
I voiced my honest opinion about this hotel which for some reason certain people seem to think they are entitled to attack. Disney has a huge number of hotels and everyone has their personal preferences that suit them and what they look for in a holiday. That’s not to say others don’t love it. The world would be a very boring place if we all liked exactly the same things. I loved the hotel and I thought the new tower was beautiful and I’m sure most guests who stay there love it and have a great time. For us, our family, it didn’t suit what we are looking for and we would rather try somewhere else next time.
Just in case it isn't clear, I am not attacking your opinion at all. In fact, I think you raise some very good points. Especially the bit about Disney not increasing the capacity of its buses and eating places after opening up Gran Destino tower - something I've commented on before. I had hoped Disney would take this into account but it sounds like they haven't.

For goodness sake at what point did I say people aren’t entitled to wear suits or go to conventions.
I didn't say you did. I asked whether you thought business people shouldn't stay at CSR. There was a question mark.

I wanted to clarify what you meant. Whether you thought CSR should be a holidaymaker-only hotel or whether you were ok with people wearing suits and going to conventions at CSR.

It’s a mix of business people and families on holiday and for about the millionth time I said my impression of this hotel is that’s it’s trying to cater more towards business people and conventions which is why as a family I would choose to stay elsewhere.
And I'm agreeing with you!

I specifically said that, yes, CSR caters for business people and conventions. It's called Coronado Springs Resort and Convention Center outside. Disney markets it to business people on it's business website - it's the primary WDW hotel for business meetings. I'm just surprised that some people didn't know this.

Many large hotels do cater for both tourists/holidaymakers and conventions/business people. On my summer holiday to Cyprus this year, the hotel I stayed at catered to businesses and there was a business meeting there one day (there was also a wedding there one day and so some people were dressed in dinner jackets and posh frocks that day). I've also had business meetings myself at tourist/holiday hotels. It's a reasonably common thing to mix the two.

Personally I wouldn't be concerned with some people in the hotel wearing business suits whilst I was there in a t-shirt and shorts. If anything I'd just be glad it wasn't me wearing a suit. However, I can see that some people might think it was a bit odd.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 03:37 PM.
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
lorr05
Chilling at Carribean Beach

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ritz View Post
OP maybe you were just unlucky, as you said in another post you have stayed at CSR before and enjoyed it https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1105428
So you knew it was a convention centre.
I never said I didn’t know it was a convention centre. Yes I’ve stayed there before and enjoyed it which is why we didn’t hesitate to stay again. Last time I don’t remember any conventions taking place or if they did they had no impact so the convention centre wasn’t an issue.
This time there were two, two day conventions during the week and each weekend kids competitions for martial arts and football which vastly increase how busy the hotel became and indeed changed the atmosphere of the hotel.

My post was to simply say we noticed a change in the atmosphere and focus of the hotel and were disappointed this time and would probably stay elsewhere next time. Not sure what people are finding so contentious about this.
lorr05 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

For me, it's quite simple. If CSR wasn't a convention centre, I am certain it would be one of the most expensive moderates, not several hundred pounds cheaper than the next cheapest mod. You are getting much better facilities for less money with the one compromise is that it's a convention centre.

If you don't like the convention vibe then pay several hundred pounds more for one of the other moderates. Who by the way also have convention guests (my friend spent 1 week in CBR attending a convention)

Gone are the days where you can blame travel agents for mis-selling you a hotel, when the information is so freely and easily available at the click of a button online.

I feel sorry for the guys in suits who have to do teambuilding exercises all day whilst everyone else is enjoying the sun in the parks. Well, kinda...I suppose they are still in the Disney bubble

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
lorr05
Chilling at Carribean Beach

Mobile

Originally Posted by catherinesian View Post
For me, it's quite simple. If CSR wasn't a convention centre, I am certain it would be one of the most expensive moderates, not several hundred pounds cheaper than the next cheapest mod. You are getting much better facilities for less money with the one compromise is that it's a convention centre.

If you don't like the convention vibe then pay several hundred pounds more for one of the other moderates. Who by the way also have convention guests (my friend spent 1 week in CBR attending a convention)

Gone are the days where you can blame travel agents for mis-selling you a hotel, when the information is so freely and easily available at the click of a button online.

I feel sorry for the guys in suits who have to do teambuilding exercises all day whilst everyone else is enjoying the sun in the parks. Well, kinda...I suppose they are still in the Disney bubble
I’m sure for next summer the price will increase for Coronado Springs or there will be a surcharge for the tower rooms.

Coronado springs wasn’t actually cheaper this year. Caribbean beach was slightly cheaper and port Orleans was only about £100 dearer. We opted for Coronado springs because we had stayed there before and enjoyed it. I wasn’t and haven’t said I blamed the travel agents. Merely that it continues to be marketed towards families when with the new tower that no longer seems to be the case. Perhaps for next year it the marketing will change to suit what seems to be their new desired clientele.
lorr05 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

I’m sure for next summer the price will increase for Coronado Springs or there will be a surcharge for the tower rooms.

Coronado springs wasn’t actually cheaper this year. Caribbean beach was slightly cheaper and port Orleans was only about £100 dearer. We opted for Coronado springs because we had stayed there before and enjoyed it. I wasn’t and haven’t said I blamed the travel agents. Merely that it continues to be marketed towards families when with the new tower that no longer seems to be the case. Perhaps for next year it the marketing will change to suit what seems to be their new desired clientele.
The Tower rooms are a separate, more expensive, booking category.

Personally whenever I've looked CSR is cheaper than CBR and I am sure that will remain given the Skyliner at CBR.

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
I never said I didn’t know it was a convention centre.
I think there's some confusion here.

Originally, it sounded like you didn't realise that CSR had a convention center and didn't realise that Disney promotes it to business people to hold conventions and meetings there. So it sounded like you were surprised that there were 2 big conventions and a couple of sports meetings whilst you were there.

But it sounds like that's not the case. You knew it was a convention centre and knew that there was a good chance business people would be there (it's a convention centre after all). It's just that the number of business people seems to have increased since your previous visits - either because the addition of Gran Destino tower has generally increased the number of people including business folk or because Disney is promoting CSR more as a convention centre now (or something). And you also want DIBBers to know that CSR has a convention center - and will have business people there - in case anyone else didn't know.

In addition with trouble with housekeeping and busy buses & eateries, it means that you'd look elsewhere in the future. Fair enough.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
blusteryday
Imagineer

blusteryday's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 12
Guidebook Photos: 8
Mobile

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Erm, yes it does. In a number of places it states that CSR has a Convention Center.

As I say above, CSR won't be marketed as a convention centre to UK holidaymakers. Because that's not what they are interested in. You don't market aspects of a resort to people that aren't interested in that part of the resort.

Whatever it may say on the UK Disney website, Disney still makes it clear in lots of places that CSR has a convention centre and caters to business conventions. I've already pointed out that on Disney's own Meeting & Events website CSR is promoted because of it's extensive convention facilities. However, it's also on the sign right outside the resort:

(As for defending parking costs, I wasn't defending the parking costs. I was defending the people who don't moan about the parking costs. Equally, I'm not "defending" CSR having a convention center but merely pointing out that CSR does contain a convention center, it states as such on its website, and Disney does promote this to businesses).
Disney don't go out of their way to tell holiday planners that CSR is *also* a convention centre (it's not even part of the name on the website, so to say it's outside the resort would be too late).

That said, neither do JW Marriott Orlando at Grande Lakes, Caribe Royale, Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek or DoubleTree Universal mention convention centre in their names.

The lesson I take away from this always to book a villa, and leave the work suit at home

Before hitting that "Submit Post" button, re-read what you've typed and consider:
Is it true?
Is it kind?
Is it helpful?
Is it necessary?
blusteryday is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

For my 14 days... since i upgraded to the Tower from the main resort which was a price reduction of £30/the cost of the IDENTICAL BOOKING has gone up by a staggering £900. Thats in about a month from swapping.

Happy days.

Disney332
Old 16 Jul 19, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Rossmasa
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by catherinesian View Post
The Tower rooms are a separate, more expensive, booking category.

Personally whenever I've looked CSR is cheaper than CBR and I am sure that will remain given the Skyliner at CBR.
We originally booked CSR then had to move to POR as a result of our flights meaning there was no availability .

we desperately wanted to stay at CSR and have been checking availability for dates , in the end by chance I checked the dates for arriving a day later , and there was availability.

The only problem was that I had to loose my free dining , but what I did was do one day less and pay for the dining myself , and it worked out only £100 more and an upgrade to a Tower Water view room
Caribbean Beach Resort August 2016
Coronado Springs Resort August 2014, 2015, 2017 2018, 2019 (Gran Destino)
Art Of Animation December 2021 2022
Pop Century May 2023 & Christmas New Year 2023/2024
Rossmasa is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread