Old 3 Jan 19, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by Kidd McFluff View Post
Brilliant. We will be reading along. We've just booked a cheeky Orlando trip for late August. It just sort of happened while Mrs McFluff and I were pricing up a week at Universal Studios (just for research... we'll not book anything... how much?...really? .go on book it!... You did? Whoops!).

Nice to have a countdown again.

Planning on convincing friends to come with us for a 2020 Disney and Universal extravaganza.
Fantastic, a week at universal will be great. I'm sure your finger just slipped on the keyboard during the research process. Ha ha! I hope you have a brilliant time, plus you've already got plans for 2020.

Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
Sounds like Dad hasn't taken too much convincing! POFQ will be lovely, we had a little look at the reception and the seen part of it when we sued the boat, it looks lovely.

Fab that you got sorted with dates and accommodation though xx
Yes, I think you're probably right Kelly.

Originally Posted by Kat11 View Post
Another great update.

We are also booked into POFQ, we have 2 rooms booked so get a $200 gift card for each room. So $400 in total. I’m considering using them to pay for tips?

Kat
I couldn't be bothered to look it up last night, thanks Kat! I thought we did have 2 lots of the gift card. Last year we just charged everything (tips, cocktails, souvenirs) to the room and then used the gift card to pay off part of that bill. So I think we will do that again.

That's what we did with ours Kat, we also opted out of mousekeeping and got another $130 gift card, really helped towards the tips! xx
I wonder if they will still be doing this next summer? Although I quite like the mousekeeping so I'm not sure I'd want to be without it.

Originally Posted by katnav View Post
Looking forward to reading the rest of your pre trippie. Have a very similar countdown and also staying at POFQ. It will be our 2nd time staying here as loved it so much last time, it was the perfect resort.

Currently waiting impatiently for the park hours to be released so we can start planning ready to make our ADRs in the middle of Feb.
I'm glad you loved it so much you're returning. I can't wait for all the August park hours to come out so I can do a proper plan and sort out ADRs.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 19, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
I wonder if they will still be doing this next summer? Although I quite like the mousekeeping so I'm not sure I'd want to be without it.
I was a bit dubious but somehow we ended up with the giftcard AND mousekeeping. Not sure it would happen again though 😂 you can still request fresh towels and for the bin to be emptied. It's just they won't tidy round and make the beds every day. I suppose we didn't get the full benefit really as we did still have it xx
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 19, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
I was a bit dubious but somehow we ended up with the giftcard AND mousekeeping. Not sure it would happen again though 😂 you can still request fresh towels and for the bin to be emptied. It's just they won't tidy round and make the beds every day. I suppose we didn't get the full benefit really as we did still have it xx
You were lucky.

Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 19, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Flights

I had been checking prices pretty randomly, I hadn’t really got into it this year. I have a note book (well I have lots of note books and planners) but I have one in which I like to track prices for flights for our dates and it was pretty sparsely populated which is unusual for me. I don’t know why I wasn’t so keen this year as I do actually quite like tracking the flights and it is sort of a hobby!

As for my wishlist for the flights I don't really have an airline preference. We've flown with Virgin, American Airlines and BA on a BA codeshare, United, Aer Lingus. Really any of the airlines will do.

I’m happy to do indirect and in fact we’ve only ever done direct once before to Orlando and that was on our first trip. Indirect is not without it’s problems though, we have had times where we didn’t think we would make the connection, where we’ve lost our luggage due to a tight connection and we made to the plane and the luggage didn’t, so it certainly isn’t stress free. But as we are tied to the school holidays and I don’t want to pay anywhere near £1000 per person for direct flights then indirect has won the battle.

I also really like getting the magical express from the airport, yes I know there are cheaper flights to be had if you fly into Tampa or Miami, but then there is the drive and I also don’t want to have to drive either! So my preference is to fly into MCO, other than those requirements I'm pretty flexible.

In early September I’d seen the same flights we had in 2018 with Aer Lingus (LGW-DUB-MCO) on sale for £600, which is about the same as what we paid. I liked these for a couple of reasons, the pre-clearance in Dublin, the free seat selection on the plane and the 2-4-2 plane layout which really suited us. But for some reason I didn’t snap them up. I think I sort of thought there would likely be a better deal out there as it was still very early for our dates. Then of course a day later those flights were over £800 and I was regretting not getting them.

I was cross with myself for holding off as it would have meant an end to the flight tracking ‘hobby’ and that I could have got on with other things. At this point I sort of decided that if is saw flights for our dates at £600 or less I would book them. I spoke to mum and dad. Mum said to just book as soon as I saw what I wanted , Dad said there was loads of time yet (which is of course true, but I really did want it sorted).

On Friday 5th October Dad sent me a flurry of emails, I’d seen them in my Hotmail but I don’t look at personal emails at work. When I got home I phoned him. I think he'd been eagerly awaiting a call as he was very keen to talk about it all.

Dad explained he’d used the trip advisor search to find flights and set up an alert. At this point I was feeling really pleased that it wasn’t just me who was doing the legwork! I didn’t really care whether there were any flights that would be good for us (remember the £175 flights with Norwegian that he found…for January not for July ). He explained he’d found Aer Lingus flights from LCY via Dublin to MCO for £624 per person. I actually thought these were pretty good as they were only £24 over budget and an end to the constant checking and tracking made the £24 easy to swallow.

The only problem was the dates Dad was looking for weren’t right . Well, they were accurate in that they were perfectly aligned to our hotel booking with Disney, it’s just that I had unilaterally decided that we did NEED to do Universal and so we should tag an extra 2 days on the end of the holiday and so fly home on the Thursday not the Tuesday . I tried to explain over the phone that the dates he was searching for weren’t correct. In the end they came over for dinner as it seemed easier than doing stuff by phone.

I had wanted to do some themed planning nights with them in the run up to the trip. I’ve seen other people do World Showcase themed meals and planning sessions. So, we had our first Eating around the World dinner – an impromptu fish and chips, yes UK pavilion here we come!

While we were eating dinner we explained a bit about Epcot and the World Showcase. Dad asked if any of the countries had restaurants, so this was another time when I tried to explain that our meal credits could be used everywhere in WDW and that each country has it’s own QS and TS restaurant and often multiple little snack carts and stands and that they are all included in the dining plan.

After dinner we started looking at the results of the flight search my dad had done. Of course when we put in the revised dates the price for the Aer Lingus flights shot up and was now £798 . But, I wasn’t too bothered because it had been a fun evening and a start to the Eating around the World planning sessions. Plus it was still only October and there was still plenty of time to get flights booked.

But, all of a sudden some BA flights popped up. We couldn’t quite believe it. They were showing as £621 DIRECT Not indirect, yes BA flights direct from LGW to MCO for £621. This seemed too good to be true. Not having the stress of indirect would be fab. Well, it turned out that this price was a little too good to be true as it didn’t include luggage, but as we don’t normally take four cases I could live with adding on the cost of the luggage as we wouldn't need to do 6 pieces of hold luggage.

And that was it we booked up the flights then and there after all . Not quite what we had planned or thought we would get but I’m pretty pleased to be back to a direct flight. The only thing left to decide for the flights is whether or not to pay for seat selection, which I kind of resent doing, so as yet this hasn’t been done. Possibly we will give in and do it though.

We had flights booked and paid for, 14 nights at POFQ with tickets and DDP and so things were pretty much sorted. We just needed to sort out the extra tickets and then get a hotel for the last 2 nights of the holiday and that's it. Well, nearly it, of course there's the airport parking and airport hotel. Then we're finished for sure .

Tickets

I was prepared for the Black Friday sales and had done a bit of research into prices for Universal tickets and for Discovery Cove. In the end I booked direct with Discovery Cove on their ‘Blue Friday’ sale and we got tickets for the dolphin swim at a cheaper price than I paid when we went back in 2017 so I was pretty pleased with that (or maybe we overpaid back in 2017).

On the Sunday before Christmas I took our CD of the photos we got at Discovery Cove to Mum and Dad’s and showed them what to expect with the dolphin swim experience and how it’s more than just a swim.

I bought the Universal 3 day 2 park tickets direct from Universal in the end. There didn’t seem to be many good deals around, we’ve been to Volcano Bay before and I don’t think Mum and Dad will be that bothered about missing out on a water park that they don’t even know exists…there will be enough water park fun at WDW anyway.

So, we have tickets for the final days of the holiday at Universal and that is all sorted. The only thing left now is to get a hotel for the last 2 nights. I figure we will check out of POFQ on the Tuesday morning check in at RPR (hopefully, this hasn’t been booked yet) pick up the skip the line passes and then head off into the park. This will give us most of Tuesday, all of Wednesday and then most of Thursday for Universal and Islands of Adventure.

I also bought the universal photo package over the new year when this was on sale and so now we will get all the ride photos. We had this in 2017 and it is funny to look at our rather scared faces on all the big rides.

Plus it will be fun to see us all getting a soak on the wet rides.

So, of course, you all know that you're never really finished when you're planning an Orlando holiday, just because it's booked and (partly) paid for doesn't mean it's all done .

Next comes the best part - planning

ADR Potentials and Undecideds Post to follow shortly.

Old 3 Jan 19, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Wow what a bargain for the flights, good thing you held out now isn't it! I've seen lots of posts about flights not including luggage now which seems a little strange, but I suppose it worked out better for yourselves. I really love how involved your dad has become, it's so cute.

We got our DC tickets in the Blue Friday sale too, the price was too good not too. So will you be doing SeaWorld, Aquatica and Busch Gardens too? The Universal pics are fab xx
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 19, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Hey Abby . So excited for another trippy!
Where to start?
How lovely to go with your parents, you will have a wonderful time. Don't worry about your Dad not enjoying myself, I had the same worries about mine in 2017 but he ended up having a blast. (Apart from when we lost him in TL, try not to lose your Dad )
Loving the look of POFQ, it always looks beautiful in other reports I've read.
I understand your frustration about booking flights, I'm still waiting to book ours for this summer. It's driving me bonkers but well done on finally getting them booked!
I love the way you've sneaked on an extra 2 nights to the holiday again .
Looking forward to reading more of your plans
Alicia xx

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 19, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Wow what a bargain for the flights, good thing you held out now isn't it! I've seen lots of posts about flights not including luggage now which seems a little strange, but I suppose it worked out better for yourselves. I really love how involved your dad has become, it's so cute.

We got our DC tickets in the Blue Friday sale too, the price was too good not too. So will you be doing SeaWorld, Aquatica and Busch Gardens too? The Universal pics are fab xx
I was over the moan with the flights, really pleased that we can do direct again. I do think it's a bit of a con not including luggage and then for lots of airlines you pay extra to reserve seats. Norwegian even charge for meals if you want them. I guess there are people out there who like the no frills approach and appreciate that they can just pay for the flight but I would love to be able to just see the final price when I'm looking around and not the tempting you in price!

Probably not Busch as it's such a trek but mainly because I'm a wimp and I hate the look of those rides.

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Hey Abby . So excited for another trippy!
Where to start?
How lovely to go with your parents, you will have a wonderful time. Don't worry about your Dad not enjoying myself, I had the same worries about mine in 2017 but he ended up having a blast. (Apart from when we lost him in TL, try not to lose your Dad )
Loving the look of POFQ, it always looks beautiful in other reports I've read.
I understand your frustration about booking flights, I'm still waiting to book ours for this summer. It's driving me bonkers but well done on finally getting them booked!
I love the way you've sneaked on an extra 2 nights to the holiday again .
Looking forward to reading more of your plans
Alicia xx
I was about to reply when I saw your new pre trip for Vegas so I had to check that out first, it sounds like it's going to be a great year of holidays for you. I hope you get your summer flights booked up soon, somehow it doesn't seem real to me until that is done.

I'm really excited about having my parents wit us. I'm hopeful we won't have any disagreements or fall outs, if everyone just does what they're told and follows my plan then we'll be fine ha ha

I remembered you lost your dad in TL I'm sure we will have the same problems of finding each other, especially in water parks when we won't have phones on us.

There's lots of exciting plans ahead I really need to get properly thinking about the ADRs as I've got a long list of restaurants.

Old 4 Jan 19, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
ADRs Potentials and Undecideds

So, let's get down to business, for many of us the food at WDW is one of the best parts. Certainly both Dave and Kate said that was the thing they were most looking forward to on the pre-travel day night last summer. Now I've been scouring the menus and food reports and I have a sort of short list but I do still need to trim it down some more.

I’m thinking about this in terms of different categories.

We have must do’s that I’m really keen to book up for this summer and then we have a bunch of options in the undecided category.

The ‘Undecideds’ is also sub categorised – can you tell I like making lists? I’ve grouped together character buffets, Italian restaurants, World Showcase options, resort restaurants and Disney Springs. There is a lot of choice out there and I have gone round and round in circles about what to book up.

I've inserted photos of restaurants on the list that we've been to before (otherwise this would just be a long rambling post so the photos break it up a bit for you).

So far in the must do category has to be:

1. Cinderella’s Royal Table requested by Mum. We’ve done this before (in 2016) and it is fun to meet all the Princesses.

2 credits, but that’s because you are eating inside the castle. I think we would probably go for dinner rather than breakfast or lunch. Of course, the alternative would be Be Our Guest but we've done had dinner there twice, both when it was a 1 credit meal and again this summer when it changed to the 2 credit meal. I'm just not sure that BOG is worth the 2 credits. We will probably book it up for lunch and use QS credits so we will still get to see inside the beast's castle.

2. Hoop Dee Doo we have never done it, so this is a new restaurant for all of us. The fact that it’s not just dinner as it includes the show as well I think will be really good for us as a group as it will be a fun evening, but without the effort of walking around theme parks. This is another 2 credits but I think this will be worth it.

3. Snow White meal at Wilderness Lodge this is the brand new dining experience that opened recently so again would be new for all of us. When it was announced I thought this would end up being a 2 credit meal (wasn’t Artist’s Point restaurant a signature?) but I’m really pleased this is 1 credit meal.

I have told Kate about this and she is excited to meet the evil queen and Dopey and Grumpy (or whichever dwarfs it turns out to be) as we’ve never met any of them. It’s a set menu with a starter, main and dessert and I cannot wait to try this out. Plus of course we get to visit the WL resort which is really beautiful.

Therefore, that uses up 5 of our 14 credits leaving us with 9 credits remaining. Two of the must do's are character meals and so I’m thinking we have space for 1 maybe 2 more character meals without overloading it entirely. I am really going to need your help with making a decision on all the rest of the options.

In the undecided category are:

1. Tusker House vs Crystal Palace both character buffets, both yummy food, both we’ve done before more than once!

This is one of our plates from Crystal Palace lunch

The food at Tusker is better I think... not Max's plate

He did get more food than just 4 pieces of cheese. This is one of mine

But both have a carvery section, both have extensive salad and dessert sections. The problem is you can’t meet all the Winnie the Pooh characters anywhere else other than Crystal Palace and Piglet is Kate’s favourite.

Of course they have Mickey at Tuskers.

We’ve done breakfast and dinner at Tusker and we’ve done lunch and dinner at Crystal Palace. Each of them is one credit. So, do we do both or just one?

2. Mama Melrose vs Tony’s Town Square both Italian, both of them have the set menu and both have the option of a bonus ticket either for Fantasmic or for the parade in Magic Kingdom.

We’ve eaten at Mama Melrose in 2016 and did really enjoy this meal, we had the Fantasmic ticket and it is handy but it’s not essential as it’s such a huge venue we’d definitely get in to see the show so I'm not sure this is really a perk. We’ve not tried Tony’s and it used to be poorly rated getting dreadful reviews, but recently there has been a lot of positive reviews so I am really tempted by this. Again, these are both one credit. So, do we do both or just one?

3. World Showcase – Teppan Edo vs Biergarten vs Chefs de France

We’ve eaten at Teppan Edo and I really like this restaurant, it’s fun to watch the chef at work and I think this is somewhere that we would all enjoy. The noodles and vegetables are lovely and the meat was also tasty. Not so great on the puddings, but it's not like we'd be short of sweet options from snack credits.

We’ve not done either Biergarten or Chefs de France. Since we went to Berlin in October and enjoyed all the Bavarian food I’m quite keen on the idea of Biergarten, it’s a buffet but without characters and there is a bit of a show with the German band. I think there would be something here for us all to enjoy. Plus it would be nice for us to try somewhere new.

Chef’s de France seems to keep popping up and it looks like a pretty restaurant with the big windows looking over the Epcot World Showcase. Again this would be a new option for us and perhaps the food on the menu makes it a good alternative to BOG which I don't plan on doing this year.

I’m in a bit of a dither. I’m liking all 3 of these the main problem is that this means 3 meals at Epcot and that is a lot…so it probably means that we wouldn’t be able to fit in our beloved Garden Grill.

We love this restaurant, but it is another character meal and I’m not sure we will need it with the others that we will do.

So, do we do all 3 or sacrifice 1 so that we can fit in Garden Grill?

4. Resorts I like the monorail resorts and it’s lovely to look around them. There are lots of restaurants we could try out.

We have done The Wave (lovely food) and California Grill brunch (probably our favourite meal of 2018) at the Contemporary.

We have done 1900 Park Fare dinner (which was hilarious with the step sisters) at the Grand Floridian.

We have done ‘Ohana twice now at the Poly and both times I had issues with the service as we had to wait nearly an hour for our table the first time and then we were raced through the meal last summer in record breaking time so this is one that is not on the list for potential meals. I know the food here is tasty, I don't dispute that, but I don't want to be rushing through the meal.

Of course, there are lots that we haven’t done. I am tempted to book up Cali Grill again, but should we do the brunch or dinner as something different for us? Plus of course this is a signature so it is 2 credits. Or do we opt for Narcoossee's or Citrico's at Grand Floridian? Would these be a good idea to try out as an alternative if we are going to use 2 credits, we've not eaten at either of them.

I am also thinking about the Grand Floridian Café as this seems to get some good reviews and would then give us a reason to visit the GF, plus this is a one credit meal so perhaps is a better option for us.

Are there other resort restaurants that I’ve not thought of that we could add in to the mix?

5. Disney Springs depending on my decisions with the undecideds above there may or may not be a Disney Springs slot available.

We’ve had dinner at Raglan Road and lunch at House of Blues, but I think that’s it for table service as we've enjoyed the quick service so much. While, they were both lovely meals I'm not too bothered about repeating them. There are so many brilliant QS options that we have really enjoyed (Blaze Pizza, D-Luxe Burger) and also a lot that we haven't managed to fit in. I still haven’t been to Polite Pig and I really want to eat there oh and the Morimoto Asia Street Food, not forgetting Cookes of Dublin and can you believe it but we've never eaten at Wolfgang Puck's Express.

So I think I am leaning towards having just QS as this may leave room for pudding from Ghiradelli. Am I wrong? Should we find a Disney Springs TS meal or should we stick to QS?

I have canvassed at home (sort of) Kate has 3 ADR requests:

1. Beaches and Cream she liked the tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich

2. House of Blues the pulled pork sandwich she had here was the best she’s ever eaten

3. California Grill yummy sushi

Now, the first two were our penultimate and then final meals at WDW last summer so I wondered if it was just that those were the one’s she found easy to remember. I’m less keen for either of these as they were both ‘cheap’ TS restaurants that we did when we didn’t have the dining plan and so paid for with cash. They were both lovely meals and we did have fun doing the kitchen sink but this isn’t on the dining plan anyway so would have to be an extra cost. I think it was around $30 so it's hardly extortionate, it's just that we struggle to eat all the food we get for 'free' that it seems silly to pay for extra food.

I’ve told Kate about the House of Blues also has quick service spot and the menu does have a pulled pork sandwich and also nachos with pulled pork on. She was happy enough to substitute this instead of booking as a table service credit.

I’ve also explained that Woody’s lunch box in Toy Story land in HS has a grilled cheese sandwich and a tomato soup. She asked if it was proper cheese or if it was just a little slither of cheese I couldn’t answer that. I’m hoping it would be a good enough substitute.

But I’m wondering whether to make a booking for Beaches and Cream and just have the kitchen sink?

Max had literally one request for food repeats and that was he wanted to get the Kitchen Sink when Grandad is there. We failed miserably at eating the whole thing last summer and Max thinks that with Grandad's help we could get to the bottom of it all…so I suspect I will end up putting this in as a bonus reservation. Heck, I think I've just talked myself into it right now!

As you can see I really need your help narrowing it all down. Is this the right balance between buffets and proper waiter service? Should we have more or less character meals? I've tried to include old favourites and new restaurants so that we get to try out new experiences too.

I’m wondering about what I have forgotten. There must be lots of options out there that I haven’t thought of.

What restaurants would you recommend for first timers? Do you think I've got a good mix? What would you scrap? What are your must do restaurants?

Old 4 Jan 19, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

I think Dinner shows are fab if your into them

I can't wait to see your review of Storybook Dining, I was devastated it wasn't open when we were there, so exciting!

Obviously we haven't done Crystal Palace but I think if it's the only place Kate can see Piglet I'd do that, even though I loved Tusker House and that would be my recommendation

We didn't rate Mama Melrose much on our visit sadly, but I think we just found the food too rich for us. We were dubious of Tony's but we enjoyed it (apart from the steak) it's not till day 14 of my report though! I think if I were you I'd try Tony's as much as I love Fantasmic I agree you could still get decent seats.

My vote would be for Chefs De France, we haven't tried the others but apart from the fries looking and tasting like they'd been reheated we enjoyed it.

I think Cali Grill dinner would be a lovely meal to have with your parents watching the fireworks at MK, that would make for a really special night. As 1900 Park Fare was one of our favourites I would have to say that as a choice. Like you though I've heard good reviews of the GF Cafe, in fact I think it was in Collybirds report!

You NEED to make a space for Wolfgang Puck Express, it was our favourite QS meal of the holiday, you won't be disappointed!

I think the kitchen sink would be a fab idea for all 6 of you

I don't think it was on your list but we really enjoyed Sanaa if you could fit that in I think you would really enjoy it. The plans are really coming along, I'm getting so excited for your ADR day xx
Old 4 Jan 19, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Kidd McFluff
slightly serious Dibber

Oh the jealousy is beginning to hit as I read this pre-trippie. We are doing a Universal only trip later in August and I know absolutely nothing about the food options either in Universal or on Idrive. We've only ever done food onsite with the DDP or OOP or back at the villa from Publix or Take away.

I would choose Tepan Edo over your other choices in Epcot (mostly because of an excellent meal there on our last trip). Chef De France does pop up a lot doesn't it? we considered it last time but ended up at Cape May Cafe (Beach Resort) and really enjoyed the seafood buffet there.

You are spot on with your assessment of Disney Springs... I totally agree that the QS spots here are more of a draw than the TS venues. Blaze was our favourite but Polite Pig came a close second for us.

It sounds like you're going to have a great trip. We're looking forward to seeing how things progress and of course reading the trippie...
Kidd McFluff is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List