Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 25 Oct 17, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
jessandjon2005
Apprentice Imagineer

problem with Avis

Hi all, hope you are all well.

We have just returned from our holiday and have noticed on my credit card statement that our rental company Avis have charged us £15 for using tolls and a further £18 for fuel.

We did use 2-3 tolls on our holiday, however paid cash at every one and we made sure that our sun pass on the dash was switched to off before leaving the airport, but they have charged us anyway, despite reading through the terms and conditions thoroughly.

When we were about 2-3 miles away from our departure airport, I fully fuelled the car (as agreed with Avis) and even clicked the pump a few extra times to make sure the car was ''extra'' full, but after a few days of getting home they have decided to charge us for (by my calculations) over half a tank of fuel.

There was nothing wrong with our fuel gauge during our holiday, so I don't even buy it could have been faulty, therefore a simply mistake could have been made, so have come to the conclusion that they are taking the (blank)

There was nobody to meet us when we dropped the car off, like Alamo last year (who were there) so as far as I am concerned Avis are blatantly taking the Michael out of customers, and the minute your back is turned and you fly home, they try their luck.

After all, it's their word against yours isn't it and we will never be using them again.

I have sent a very strong worded e-mail and demanded this matter is fully investigated so will report back when I hear what they have to say.

Has this happened to anyone else at MCO and is there anything you can do, because after all they are committing fraud?

The only thing I can advise/suggest from my end is learn our lesson, maybe take pics of car and receipts in future and demand someone meets us before we leave the car.

Stay well away, this company are bad news and also make you wait in line 2.5 hours before getting your vehicle. 18 desks when we were there and 2 people serving in a line of 50+ customers.

Appalling :angry:

Edited at 02:44 PM.
jessandjon2005 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 17, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
disney babe
VIP Dibber

happned to my sister in aug but she had her receipt saying zero when she handed the car back so rang BA as fly drive with them and they refunded it straight away. we dropped off at Hilton opposite Disney springs and we didn't get charged, it does seem a bit suspicious though
I. Drive july 92,DLP 98,99, 02, 04, comfort suites sept 03, southern dunes july 06, westridge july 09, RPR, orange tree, OKW july 12, chatham park, OKW oct 13, RPR, polo park east, AKL, july 14, CBBR, HRH, CBR, disney dream, BCV oct 15, La, Vegas, SF July 16, new york, GFV, CBR, BCV july 17, Miami, Rosen inn, CBBR july 18, LV, Anaheim Oct 18, rosen inn, aventura dec 18, Fl keys, AoA, portofino bay july 19, mirage LV oct 19, rosen inn, pop dec 19, POP, Rosen Inn, POFQ aug 22
disney babe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 17, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
jessandjon2005
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by disney babe View Post
happned to my sister in aug but she had her receipt saying zero when she handed the car back so rang BA as fly drive with them and they refunded it straight away. we dropped off at Hilton opposite Disney springs and we didn't get charged, it does seem a bit suspicious though
It seems more than suspicious, so won't be using BA fly drive again.

It wasn't just the car hire that took the mickey, it was the 2.5 hour wait in line, watching some American slug move round the counter like some child that had lost their sweets (would have been different story if they were working for tips)

Rude BA staff, no food choice, ''case of this is it we have nothing else''

I could keep going but I wont!
jessandjon2005 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 17, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
jessandjon2005
Apprentice Imagineer

Does anyone know if Avis staff are supposed to meet the car on arrival at the airport and scan your car back in?

I know this happened to us with Alamo (no problems there) but everyone at MCO were just dumping cars and walking away with their suitcases, nobody to be seen?
Old 25 Oct 17, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. You can demand that Avis supply you with photgraphoc proof of each toll voilation. They have to do this. In the interim you can get your credit card provider to put the charges 'in dispute' and not pay them
Have you got a receipt for the fuel? Credit card bill maybe? Or was it cash?

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 17, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

We had a 2 hour wait with Hertz. I think they are all as bad as each other. This year we picked up the following day from a hotel and it was much easier.
I think the tolls automatically charge from the license plate. But they should have informed you of that.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 17, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jessandjon2005 View Post
Does anyone know if Avis staff are supposed to meet the car on arrival at the airport and scan your car back in?

I know this happened to us with Alamo (no problems there) but everyone at MCO were just dumping cars and walking away with their suitcases, nobody to be seen?
We have used Avis at MCO a couple of times without problems... sorry to hear this. Yes there was a guy with a scanner both times and handed us a receipt saying balance was zero. We had no problems. Sorry to hear this.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 17, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

My mantra with any rental lease etc at pick up zero when I leave unless I add anything.
On return zero and agree at time any marks etc,this may take a few minutes but so be it,you spend more time then sorting latter.
It now depends how much £30 is v your time in doing this all of us have different answers.
You can as posted follow this route or put it down to experience,as always choice is yours.
Old 25 Oct 17, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jessandjon2005 View Post
It seems more than suspicious, so won't be using BA fly drive again.

It wasn't just the car hire that took the mickey, it was the 2.5 hour wait in line, watching some American slug move round the counter like some child that had lost their sweets (would have been different story if they were working for tips)

Rude BA staff, no food choice, ''case of this is it we have nothing else''

I could keep going but I wont!
Sorry is the "American slug" the guy behind the counter at Avis? I guess you landed at a bad time as I have never ever waited that long at any of the rental car places ... even Dollar
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 17, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
jessandjon2005
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
OP. You can demand that Avis supply you with photgraphoc proof of each toll voilation. They have to do this. In the interim you can get your credit card provider to put the charges 'in dispute' and not pay them
Have you got a receipt for the fuel? Credit card bill maybe? Or was it cash?
Unfortunately it was cash, and me being me, I assumed when you returned it full that would be the end of it... I was wrong, so next time I'll be keeping receipts.

It did look to me like some of them couldn't organise a booze up in a brewery by the way some of them were running around like headless chickens looking lost, so maybe it was a simple mistake...

That or Avis are just trying to take the Michael out of Brits, thinking we won't notice or are just plain stupid.