Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Sep 19, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Flights being quoted without checked bags, is this now the norm..

following my recent rant about crazy flight prices next july - august ish looking >800 even for indirect

today i can get man - sanford direct on dreamliner 24/7 - 7/8 for £809 each not great but in context not bad

so crack on & its and extra £70 pp for a hold bag upto 20kg.. is this normal now as seemes to be on all the other flights i checked.. taking your luggage is considered 'extra' .. £210 in total..

why cant they just quote you with a bag each like they used to...

rant over...
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Cez
Getting Excited

Cez's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
When I have been looking, this does seem to be the norm now I'm afraid which is annoying.

DLP 2016
Cez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
JanetteP
Imagineer

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
following my recent rant about crazy flight prices next july - august ish looking >800 even for indirect

today i can get man - sanford direct on dreamliner 24/7 - 7/8 for £809 each not great but in context not bad

so crack on & its and extra £70 pp for a hold bag upto 20kg.. is this normal now as seemes to be on all the other flights i checked.. taking your luggage is considered 'extra' .. £210 in total..

why cant they just quote you with a bag each like they used to...

rant over...
It is so annoying, although sometimes Tui do free bags, but not very often. They did it a couple of years ago on Black Friday, and did one recently for flights in September - hence I bought my holiday forward to 29th September to take advantage.

Janette
Dreamy Corner June 23, Potter’s Villa May 22, Shamu Villa Sep 22,AKL, HRH Lakeside Haven Sep 19, Lakeside Haven RPR May 19. White Blossom & Viburnum Villa Aug 18. SSR, Aurora Villa May 18. Kidani, RPR Champion Florida Villa 17, Staybridge Suites, White Blossom & Owens Villa 16 OKW, Champion Florida Villa & RPR 16, Magic Landings 15, Grand Reserve & HRH 2014, Tuscan Pines 12, Highgrove 09, Legacy Park 07, Indian Point 06 and 05, Florida Pines 04
Graduation Trip 2019
+ Trip Report 2018
JanetteP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

ridiculous to price long hall flights with hand luggage only

ok its doable but who in reality could take enough gear for 2 weeks in hand luggage... & not have any wiggle room for bringing stuff back
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

Almost all airlines have taken the 'Ryanair' approach to pricing. It means they can advertise cheaper flights or entice people to buy.

The other way to look at it though, is for families that dont want to take a bag for every person, or dont want to chose a seat or pre book a meal, so in theory they would save.
But people that argue that theory also need to remember that for the airlines 1+2+3 does not equal 6. (example, Airline ticket was £600 all in. New model, £550 ticket, £60 luggage and £10 seat equals £620). Stealth price increases.

Anyway, £809 for a ticket is not good in any context, unless your talking PE.
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
ridiculous to price long hall flights with hand luggage only

ok its doable but who in reality could take enough gear for 2 weeks in hand luggage... & not have any wiggle room for bringing stuff back
Plenty of us do... BA is a generous 20k hand baggage allowance . We'd never pack 80kg between two of us so hand baggage fares make sense.
You could flat pack a large nylon hold-all and just pay £40 ish to check it as hold baggage on the homeward flight.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

Another example of rip off companies. If people pay it they will charge for it. Robbing gets
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
Almost all airlines have taken the 'Ryanair' approach to pricing. It means they can advertise cheaper flights or entice people to buy.

The other way to look at it though, is for families that dont want to take a bag for every person, or dont want to chose a seat or pre book a meal, so in theory they would save.
But people that argue that theory also need to remember that for the airlines 1+2+3 does not equal 6. (example, Airline ticket was £600 all in. New model, £550 ticket, £60 luggage and £10 seat equals £620). Stealth price increases.

Anyway, £809 for a ticket is not good in any context, unless your talking PE.
i agree 1 +2 + 3 dosnt equal 6 its way of trousering more ££

also agree on the price but if you can find anything cheaper @25/7 - 8/8 give or take a day*, ideally from a northern airport then be my guest...

* im rigidly tied to these dates with work holiday rota...
Old 18 Sep 19, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post

We booked hand luggage only this summer (by mistake, assumed a case in hold was included). Only took 2 cases for 3A1C in hold @£45 per bag each way, rather than the usual 4. We did take a lot less than usual and still had room to bring stuff back and hand luggage allowance was generous. Just bought shampoo, shower gel, toothpaste etc there at Walmart and left it in the villa.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Plenty of us do... BA is a generous 20k hand baggage allowance . We'd never pack 80kg between two of us so hand baggage fares make sense.
You could flat pack a large nylon hold-all and just pay £40 ish to check it as hold baggage on the homeward flight.
but there is a size restriction on the bag? , i dont think i could get 20kg luggage into a carry on bag

and its academic as BA have priced themselves right out for us ... coupled with no flight from Heathrow