Notices
Tickets Theme Park Ticket questions and advice

Old 14 Jan 20, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
daisydoo
Apprentice Imagineer

Magic Bands & Tickets

I apologise now if this is a stupid question (and it probably is)

We have just booked to go back next year (staying off site) so it will be the 1st time we are using Magic Bands.

I am just reading up on them at the moment and know that I will have to link them up via the app with my park tickets (I think I am correct so far but please let me know if I am wrong).

I have booked combined Disney/Universal park tickets with ATD and obviously I will have to use the actual ticket at Universal so if I link them to my Magic Bands for Disney, will they still work there at Universal?

Thanks

Daisydoo
daisydoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by daisydoo View Post
I am just reading up on them at the moment and know that I will have to link them up via the app with my park tickets (I think I am correct so far but please let me know if I am wrong).
you don't link tickets to magic bands

you link tickets to your MDX (to make FP+ and all)
then you'll link the magic band to your MDX

and MBs will access tickets through MDX

you don't get free magic band if you stay offsite, you might get one as part of a bundle by some ticket sellers, otherwise you'll need to purchase them

I have booked combined Disney/Universal park tickets with ATD and obviously I will have to use the actual ticket at Universal so if I link them to my Magic Bands for Disney, will they still work there at Universal?
there is no such thing as a universal/disney combo ticket

they are 2 separate ticket, one for disney, and one for universal
it's not just one ticket.
they sell it as a combo, but it's really 2 separate tickets

Edited at 03:10 PM.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Steveje
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Just to add
Magic bands cannot be linked to universal tickets..they are only for disney. For the convenience they are worth it but not essential. They save getting your ticket in and out of your bag.. how many times do you take your wallet out and drop other cards! plus on certain rides activate certain photos to be taken.. plus they are waterproof.
Steveje is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
derenstar
Apprentice Imagineer

Magic bands make more sense when staying onsite as they also act as your room key, to charge things to your room and if you have the dining plan, to spend your dining credits. This is in addition to using it as you would your park ticket - i.e. tapping in for ride photos if you have Memory Maker and for your Fastpasses.

As an offsite guest, you will only be using a magic band the same as you would your park tickets. You can still buy magic bands and they are relatively inexpensive for the basic ones but I’m not sure it’s worth it as your tickets will do exactly the same. Disney only gives free magic bands (plain ones) to their onsite guests but sometimes other TAs throw them in with bookings. It doesn’t give you any added benefits if you’re off site though.

Finally, Disney and Universal are separate companies as well as competitors so you cannot use Disney proprietary material at Universal or vice versa. As has already been stated, even though you may have been sold a Disney and Universal combo ticket, they are in fact completely separate tickets as the two companies are not related. Universal still use cards in the main, even if staying in one of their resorts. They have however started using wrist bands at their water park, Volcano Bay but your have to hand these back when you leave the park and it’s only really for virtual queuing.
derenstar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Len21
New Poster (4)

Don’t worry you get separate tickets for both Parks so totally independent from each other.
Disney (Plastic credit card size) and
universal (paper credit card size) your just buying them together as a bundle.

Edited at 04:52 PM.
Len21 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by daisydoo View Post
I apologise now if this is a stupid question (and it probably is)

We have just booked to go back next year (staying off site) so it will be the 1st time we are using Magic Bands.

Thanks

Daisydoo
The Disney/Universal combo is actually 2 separate tickets sold for one price. It isn't one ticket covering both Disney and Universal. There is no such thing as one ticket covering both Disney and Universal.

So you'll get one ticket for Disney that you link to your Disney account. That will then allow you to book your Disney fastpasses and you can use any MagicBands linked to your Disney account to access these tickets.

You'll also get a separate ticket for Universal. You can't link that to your Disney account and therefore can't use your Disney MagicBands for this. You can link the Universal ticket to the Universal app though, but then it just appears as a QR code on your phone which you can scan at the entrance. Universal doesn't have MagicBands.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List