Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Feb 18, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
BarrettFamily
VIP Dibber

I have just been with my Mum. We didn’t take my DH or my Dad or my grown up children as they don’t get it the same way we do. That emotional feeling, it is not about the rides it is the whole thing. We went to Universal for the first time this trip but it does not do it for us, not in the same way Disney does.
WDW All Stars Movies 2001- 10th Anniversary
WDW Carribean Beach Resort 2006
WDW All Stars Music 2008
WDW Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa 2018 - 50th Birthday Celebration with Mum.
BarrettFamily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 18, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

I think some people need to have visited to actually understand. My auntie who loves Florida said to me before my last trip “oh you’re not going to Disney are you, that’s for kids.”

I like to tell people that while I am physically an adult, mentally I am not!
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 18, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Island mamma
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
My very good friend who knows my love of Disney, told me only a few days ago that he wanted to take his kids (8 and 6) to Florida before they were too old for Disney to which I replied, “ I’m 39... do you see me being too old for Disney?” 😉
I do get his point because I think children that young experience Disney in a special way. Not that anybody is " too old" to go but just that there is something so unique about the way a young child sees it.
Island mamma is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 18, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
evergreen
Imagineer

Mobile

My Mil doesn’t get even though she had been once with us, she thinks we should see the world, but doesn’t criticise her dd’s who ho to Spain each year and don’t appear to be seeing the world
Old 23 Feb 18, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Jane3865
Proud to wear my Ears

My sister is exactly the same and repeatedly tells me I am too old and that I am sad!

I am 53 this year and hubby is 51...this will be our first trip to Orlando/WDW. I really want to talk about it and share my/our excitement with my sis like she did with me when she went to Australia. But no, at every available chance we are mocked and laughed at. I get that its not her thing but its mine and I wish she could just share a little of that happiness with me.
2021 - High Grove Resort Villa
Jane3865 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 18, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jane3865 View Post
My sister is exactly the same and repeatedly tells me I am too old and that I am sad!

I am 53 this year and hubby is 51...this will be our first trip to Orlando/WDW. I really want to talk about it and share my/our excitement with my sis like she did with me when she went to Australia. But no, at every available chance we are mocked and laughed at. I get that its not her thing but its mine and I wish she could just share a little of that happiness with me.
You can always come on here and share your love for Disney. We won’t judge.😉

I don’t see why people have to pass comment on people’s holiday choices at all. It’s your life, your money and your holiday. If you choose to spend it at Disney World or in the Himalayas, it’s nobdy’s business but yours.
Rac20 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 18, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

Am I the only one who is quite glad others don't get it? After all it's crowded enough already isn't it? What on earth would the wait times increase to if the whole world wanted to join in?

DVC Member BCV, BLT & VGC
marlouwrig is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 18, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post

Many people don't get it until they've been, then it's a different kettle of fish in most cases.

Not many people have made remarks to me over the years and the ones that did hadn't been. Over time whenever I'd bump into them, they wouldn't be able to wait to tell me that they'd been and loved it. I always found it quite comical.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 18, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I am 54 in May and my dh and oldest ds don’t want to do disney but they love TL. My other son 21 and dd 15 and myself are having a couple of Disney Days. While they go on some rides I will shop and watch parades, go to shows and there is nothing childish about that! Seriously nothing can stop me on a mission to buy as much as I can carry, I am sure I will love Grand kids but am in no hurry for them!
Old 23 Feb 18, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by Susan62 View Post
Hi, we are very lucky and have been to Florida many times. I was just explaining to my Mum, how the best part of my holiday is watching the fireworks around the castle at Magic Kingdom (always makes me feel very emotional) and she replied with that. I wouldn’t mind but we only spend 2 days at the Disney Parks. I’m 55 and have two grown up DD’s, she told me that I needed Grandchildren! She just doesn’t get it!
I am reminded of the time I booked my first trip to WDW (I have told this true story before). I went to travel agent one august, put my credit card on the agents desk and asked her to send me somewhere hot and sunny. She suggested Orlando and the disgusted look on my face said it all.

30 years later I still remember her comment to me..which went "there are only sorts of people in the world...those who think that Disney World is one of the most amazing places you can go to... and those who have never been".

She was right. Many years later we tried several times to get my in-laws to join us on a trip to WDW and their reaction was the same as mine. But in they gave in and loved every minute of it.

So my advice to you is not to let it bother you. Some people don't get it but IMHO that is their problem not yours.

Enjoy the magic and all it brings to your life.

BB

P.S...if it wasn't for Disney the Dibb wouldn't exist..what a loss that would be!