Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 5 Dec 19, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Jacksc5294
Trading Disney Pins

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
We're going at the end of August next year and returning mid-September. Direct flights with Virgin from Manchester were around £550 including luggage. Before our TC flights were cancelled, they cost around £450. So only £100pp more. (Our in-laws have since paid to upgrade us to PE).

Of course, I'd expect prices to be >5% more than in 2018 due to 2 years of inflation.

Last time we went was in 2016. We paid around £800pp for flights back then with Thomas Cook. It was in the Easter hols though. So I was happy with anything less than that.
Thanks for that, really useful!
I may speak to Disney about changing the day by 1 day to get cheaper flights.
Failing that, i'll play the waiting game! as you'd expect August to be more expensive in the school holidays!
Jacksc5294 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 19, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Jacksc5294 View Post
Failing that, i'll play the waiting game! as you'd expect August to be more expensive in the school holidays!
I haven’t read the thread so don’t know if you are after direct school holiday flights from Man to Orlando but...
You won’t get direct flight in and out within school holidays direct from Manchester for under £800. I’ve found Virgin going up the longer you wait, hitting 1200+ last year. I go every year.
Indirect (Air Canada have been cheaper recently) you can get them for 700 ish. Outside school holidays is a different ball game entirely.
Old 5 Dec 19, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
I'm comparing prices to September 2018 when it was £490 including luggage. Not getting anywhere near that so far...
When are you thinking of going?

Our return flights are in September; they aren't in school holidays. Therefore they are cheaper. If you're looking at travelling completely within school holidays (i.e. return flights in August) then flight prices will be significantly more expensive, as YorkshireT says above. They certainly won't cost anything like the September 2018 prices, and wouldn't have done even if Thomas Cook were still around.

Because you'd said September 2018, I had assumed you were looking at September 2020 flights?

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 19, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
When are you thinking of going?

Our return flights are in September; they aren't in school holidays. Therefore they are cheaper. If you're looking at travelling completely within school holidays (i.e. return flights in August) then flight prices will be significantly more expensive, as YorkshireT says above. They certainly won't cost anything like the September 2018 prices, and wouldn't have done even if Thomas Cook were still around.

Because you'd said September 2018, I had assumed you were looking at September 2020 flights?
I keep a keen eye on it, and in school holidays they usually go one way- up. With TC we were paying about 800. Virgin have been crazy.
Recently I’ve found cheapest way has been booking a Virgin Holiday fly drive 18 months out. I’m paying about 900 this Xmas with Virgin although I got a good glitch on it so now paying less. Next Xmas 2020 I booked about 4 months ago and there was a voucher for 100 off. Think I’ve paid 800 which is very good for Virgin out and back in Xmas hols from MAN.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 19, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
itsmeGAV
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by pluto99 View Post
Jet2 have no plans for long haul
Interesting.. where did you read this?

I know they fly medium long-haul routes already, so unsure why they'd rule it out completely to be honest, especially now with the additional slots etc.
Jan 24 - Family timeshare, Vacation Villages at Parkway
Mar 25 - Family timeshare, Holiday Inn Club Vacations @ Orange Lake

Edited at 07:20 PM.
itsmeGAV is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 19, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by itsmeGAV View Post
Interesting.. where did you read this?

I know they fly medium long-haul routes already, so unsure why they'd rule it out completely to be honest, especially now with the additional slots etc.
ttgmedia/news/news/j...rogramme-16251
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 19, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
And that article is a year old and since then Thomas Cook has disappeared. As the saying goes never say never... and Jet2 is getting a couple more A330s for next summer over the extra Airtanker, according to the rumour mills.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 19, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Assuming at TC prices the Orlando route from Man would be profitable (we were told the TC airline was profitable, not sure about this route, but it was very, very popular) and given that Jet 2 is actually a well run company, they must be able to make a good profit out of that. Or run it out of Leeds Bradford if they can get the landing slots. I hope you are correct Bighal- I know you work in the industry.
Old 5 Dec 19, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
planecrazi3778
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Jet2 have moved slightly in what they usually say. In previous years, the ceo has said there are no plans to go long haul, he said recently in a trade event in calpe, Spain that "we realise there is a gap in the market"... That to me is a slightly different stance to what he used to say.
planecrazi3778 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 19, 07:41 AM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

Jet2 fly to Newark around 3 weeks of the year between mid/late November to mid December and the flights are not daily, they've learned from the flyglobespan days.

Edited at 08:33 AM.
thatdavieguy is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List