Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 2 Oct 19, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

The BIG Little Lies California Road Trip - 24th July 2019 - Solvang, Santa Barbara & LA

Day 7

Woke to the alarm at 8 after a surprisingly good night sleep. I normally can’t sleep when all of us are in one room but the other 3 kept their snoring to a minimum . We don’t mind sharing for one night but that’s normally our limit!

The Leans called to say that the ‘Continental’ breakfast provided by the hotel was utter rubbish with only a few stale pastries and some boiled eggs so they were going to take a walk to look for somewhere else. They messaged to say they had found a place called The Red Viking and to meet them there.
It was only a 5 min walk from the hotel and we found it no problem. This town is so quaint with some unusual looking shops and restaurants.

The Leans had already ordered so once seated we got 2 poached eggs with bacon and breakfast potatoes for Sam and I and a veggie omelette for Jim. Hope like usual didn’t want anything. The lady serving was slightly odd and ridiculously slow so we weren’t sure what we would end up with

Our food eventually arrived and was ok but luke warm which I hate!
Paid the bill of $53 which again took an age. Once we EVENTUALLY got out of there, the others went back to the hotel for a swim whilst I went for a wander and to get Hope some breakfast.

I just love this town, very different to what we’ve seen so far. I popped into a gift shop and bought myself a magnet, postcard and Christmas decoration.

Mortensen's Bakery had been recommended on here so that’s where I headed. There were loads of different flavoured Danishes to choose from so took me a while to decide!
In the end I went with 1 cherry, 1 raspberry, 1 apricot and a cream cheese Danish. $15 altogether.

From here I found a Subway and got Hope a ham and cheese on Italian to takeaway.

Back to hotel now I packed up the rest of our luggage and loaded the car up then checked out. Once done I spent an hour round by the pool, it was boiling out which was the first time this holiday we’ve felt such heat. The kids were ridiculously happy to be swimming finally!

By just before 12 we were ready to get on our way to Santa Barbara. This was only 45 minutes away thankfully so Jim drove.

Stopped for fuel and snacks for the beach on the way. $45 took it back to full.
Sam then had a panic that he couldn’t find his wallet, so we pulled over on the side of the road to look in his suitcase. His clothes had just been stuffed in there, he is so unorganised no wonder he didn’t know where it was . I found it buried at the bottom so crisis over.

We arrived in Santa Barbara at about 1pm and parked right by the Shoreline Beach Cafe next to the harbour and behind Leadbetter Beach. Loads of spaces and only $2 an hour, bargain
Just stunning, this is just what you imagine a Californian beach to look like.

We put down our towels and just chilled for an hour or so. I tried the water, getting slightly warmer but still a bit nippy . The kids, Jim and Nick were straight in

By 2 we were starting to get hungry so stumbled the 50 yards behind us into the Shoreline Beach Cafe. Got seated straight away on a table outside.

Love this!

I just wanted some picky bits so ordered a side of chips and salsa with some fries. Jim a tuna melt and the kids just wanted some fries each.
Soon came and was very nice, just what I needed. It was so lovely just chilling overlooking the beach and watching the kite surfers.

Arty bird shot no.2

Bill came to $74.27 including tip which is rather pricey for what was effectively 1 main and 4 sides
From here we wandered up to the harbour on the hunt for an ice cream.

The fluffiest, whitest cloud I've ever seen!

Stumbled across the Breakwater Restaurant that did takeaway. Vanilla for Hope, chocolate for Jim and Sam and I cookie dough. I wish I’d taken a photo as these were massive! We took them down to the marina to eat, loving life right about now

We watched the Paddleboarders and kayakers while we ate them. It looked like a good laugh so we made an impromptu decision to give it a go . Jim found the office to enquire and said they had availability. It was $25 an hour for the Paddleboard’s and $30 for a tandem kayak. I had decided I wanted to kayak as I have zero balance at the best of times so thought it best I was sat down . Sean shared the kayak with me as we weren’t sure how he would get on Paddleboarding.

We all needed to sign a waiver, then get measured for our paddles. We also got talked through how to Paddleboard, to start on your knees and do two strokes of the paddle each side. When you feel more comfortable you can then stand up. This obviously didn’t apply to Sean and I.
As everything was put in a locker I have no photos of our time on the water. I wished I’d gone back to the car to get my faux pro out. That’s what happens when you do something not planned!

Once done we walked down to the dock to set off. Sean went in front with me behind so I could steer. This was hilarious, Sean was doing the complete opposite of what I was saying . I did need him to take the paddle out of the water when a boat was coming our way though as it could be an accident waiting to happen .
We caught up with the others and made our way around to the beach area and the harbour seals sunbathing on a platform. They are just the cutest things.

Jim decided Paddleboarding is not his thing as he kept on falling in much to the amusement of us! He ended up just lying on his front and using his arms to paddle like on a surfboard. I so wish I had my camera
Hope and Sam took to it like naturals, they were loving it!
The hour was soon up so Sean and I got the kayak tied up and went round to see everyone coming in. I ran back to the locker to grab my phone so I could take some photos.

As Sam hadn’t yet fallen in, Nick made sure to fix that

Once out we made our way back to the office to pay.
They couldn’t split the bill which is a bit odd so Jim and I ended up paying for the kayak, they automatically added tip on which annoys me then they added a $2.50 charge because we were, wait for it, 1 minute late
I was not happy, especially because Sean and I had come in 5 mins early and we set off late as there were 3 others in our group who got in the water first. So they start your hour from when you leave the office not when you get in the water
We made our feelings clear but just paid it and got out of there. $131.69. Such a shame it ended this way as we’d had such a lovely afternoon.

It was now just after 6pm so we made our way back to the cars for the last leg of the journey to LA, popping into a gift shop for the obvious magnet. Sat Nav said 1hr 50 and I drove this leg. Goodbye Santa Barbara, we will be back!

Traffic was stop and go in parts but on the whole wasn’t too bad.
As the Leans were now in a different apartment we split up and said we’d meet back later.

Jim called the apartment manager about 10 mins before to say we’d nearly be there.
We were very close to Hollywood Boulevard in a slightly rough around the edges area, putting it politely.
Met Martin outside who showed us where to park and gave us our keys. There were keys for the gate, 2 front door keys and a key for the laundry room. We had to pay him $30 for the parking in cash, I'm fairly sure that went straight in his back pocket!
We were on the first floor so once we checked the apartment out we dragged the cases upstairs. First impressions were fine, certainly not luxury but it was clean with plenty of room. There was a double bed and a sofa bed in the living room, a small kitchen then a separate bedroom in the back. Perfect for us for 2 nights. Will add photos tomorrow.

It was now gone 8 so we quickly got changed and agreed to meet the Leans at Hollywood and Highland car park. We still had one of their suitcases so had to drive, if we didn’t we could have easily walked it.
Found what we thought was the car park but it was $18 flat fee for valet parking. Went to the one next door which you could pay by the hour.

Met them outside on the Strip and decided on where to eat. We could see a Buffalo Wild Wings up the road so headed up there. It really reminded me of the Vegas strip. Bright lights and a bit tacky. We dodged the various CD sellers and guys with snakes around their necks and negotiated our way through the prongs of people to look at the stars at the same time.

Took some photos of our favourite celebs but will only bore you with a couple.

Made it unscathed to Buffalo Wild Wings and got seated straight away in the bar area as the restaurant part was shut. We really need to stop eating so late!
Very friendly server who recommended we share a large and a small portion of wings as we all wanted the same. Would be cheaper that way. Got them in buffalo mild, teriyaki, Caribbean jerk, garlic, and bbq. We got some coleslaw and mozzarella sticks to share too.
The kids had bbq wings and chicken tenders with fries.
As it was happy hour I went with a vodka and cranberry while the others had a Coors light. These were a bargainous $3.
Food soon arrived and we attacked it like hungry dogs, there wasn’t a morsel left on the plates! Got another round of drinks too.

It was gone 10.30 by the time we finished so quickly paid up leaving a good tip as he’d been the perfect server. Friendly and witty but not in your face over the top just to get a tip.
We now walked up the other side of the road looking at the stars. I was trying to find Patrick Swayze, finally found it!

Sean with his all time favourite actor

Had to get this one of Helen and Nick as its the name of their ski transfer company in France!

Looks a bit eerie

We walked all the way up to the Scientology building, they were still open hoping for some wayward tourists they could convert

Crossed the road and popped into a tacky gift shop to buy the obligatory magnet and found a used Florida license plate. My collection is now complete of the States we’ve visited. 6 down, 44 to go to finish off the collection!

We were now dead on our feet so we made our way back to the cars. Call me slow but I had only just realised we had parked where they hold the Oscar's ceremony . This was pretty cool seeing all the Best Film winners, with plenty of space for years to come

Once Nick got his suitcase we made the short drive back to the apartment. Straight to bed as it was gone midnight. Our latest night yet, go us

IG - alicialanesmith

Edited at 08:51 PM.
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Ouch I see what you mean about the pricey meals, that lunch was expensive for what it was.

The kids all looked like they were great on the paddleboards. It all sounded like great fun, such a shame you got charged for being a minute late. That was downright mean of them.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Nesbits
Very Serious Dibber

Fab day 😀 I’m not too keen on Hollywood Boulevard, tacky and a little scary. The number plates are a great idea
Nesbits is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 19, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Ouch I see what you mean about the pricey meals, that lunch was expensive for what it was.

The kids all looked like they were great on the paddleboards. It all sounded like great fun, such a shame you got charged for being a minute late. That was downright mean of them.
We couldn't believe the prices in California, we well and truly blew the budget this year
It was such great fun, the kids have both asked for Paddleboards for Christmas... Not sure it will be quite the same doing in on the River Thames
Oh I know we were so annoyed by it, they had been so lovely up until that point as well which just made it even worse somehow!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 19, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Nesbits View Post
Fab day 😀 I’m not too keen on Hollywood Boulevard, tacky and a little scary. The number plates are a great idea
I'm glad I've seen it, but it's a one and done for me!
I can't wait to put the licence plates up on the wall in my downstairs loo but think they might look a bit lonely with there only being 6 at the moment. Need to book another holiday ASAP

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 8 Oct 19, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
KayLouise
Very Serious Dibber

The beach looked gorgeous, and the paddleboarding so much fun, except for the cheeky charge at the end!
Old 19 Oct 19, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Solvang looks like a lovely place, as does Santa Barbara. Great afternoon on the water, such a shame it was spoiled a bit by the extra charges at the end.

We have a couple of days in LA next year and we have no idea of what are the good areas to stay in. Any recommendations? OMG, why are there people with snakes around their necks? They don't try and put them on passers by, do they? I'm terrified of snakes, I can feel panic rising just sitting here thinking about having to walk past them

Aside from that though, nice pics around the stars. It must be fun looking for your own favourites.

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Fuellady View Post
Solvang looks like a lovely place, as does Santa Barbara. Great afternoon on the water, such a shame it was spoiled a bit by the extra charges at the end.

We have a couple of days in LA next year and we have no idea of what are the good areas to stay in. Any recommendations? OMG, why are there people with snakes around their necks? They don't try and put them on passers by, do they? I'm terrified of snakes, I can feel panic rising just sitting here thinking about having to walk past them

Aside from that though, nice pics around the stars. It must be fun looking for your own favourites.
I wish we had more time (and money!) so that we could have stayed in Santa Barbara for the night, such a beautiful place.
I have heard that Burbank is a good place to stay over in LA but whatever you do please don't stay near N Mansfield Avenue!
Oh no, that's not good. I didn't see him try and put it around anyone's neck, I should imagine they'll do it if asked for a photo. For a price of course! Maybe suss the area out and if you see him then cross the road pronto! I'm so looking forward to reading your trip report of Route 66. Have you done a pre trippy yet?
It was a fun evening, the kids really enjoyed it

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 21 Oct 19, 12:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
I wish we had more time (and money!) so that we could have stayed in Santa Barbara for the night, such a beautiful place.
I have heard that Burbank is a good place to stay over in LA but whatever you do please don't stay near N Mansfield Avenue!
Oh no, that's not good. I didn't see him try and put it around anyone's neck, I should imagine they'll do it if asked for a photo. For a price of course! Maybe suss the area out and if you see him then cross the road pronto! I'm so looking forward to reading your trip report of Route 66. Have you done a pre trippy yet?
It was a fun evening, the kids really enjoyed it
Thanks for the LA tips, I think I’ll have to do a bit more research. If I see the snake guy I’ll just run away! 😳

No pre-trippie yet. I’ll start getting all my info together after I come back from my upcoming Orlando hol. So much planning to do for R66, I really need to get stuck into it.

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 19, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Fuellady View Post
Thanks for the LA tips, I think I’ll have to do a bit more research. If I see the snake guy I’ll just run away! 😳

No pre-trippie yet. I’ll start getting all my info together after I come back from my upcoming Orlando hol. So much planning to do for R66, I really need to get stuck into it.
I can imagine there is loads of planning involved in a Route 66 holiday. Will keep an eye out for it, have a fab time in Florida first though. So jealous!

IG - alicialanesmith