Old 21 Nov 19, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by dixonsontour View Post
Those waffles look delicious
Oh, they were!

Originally Posted by jools1302 View Post
Oh we went to that same Keke’s but it was a sunday morning so the queue was long and it was the day we handed the car back too so we were a bit anxious about time so we didn’t wait ☹️ Your breakfast looks amazing... its a definate for us next time
We noticed they queues are always long at breakfast time on Sundays, at all the restaurants. It's a shame you couldn't wait at Keke's, I'm sure it would have been worth it. You must go next time, we'll definitely be back.

Originally Posted by Geordie Al View Post
We go to the Applebees at Berry and while the service can be questionable the food has always been good (their Nachos are amazing).
However I had heard nothing good about the one opposite Rolling Oaks. In fact it makes Berry look like a two star Michelin restaurant! So people might want to avoid that one.
On a more positive note got to love a Megabeer. My DW had one in September as I was on driver duty . Hopefully they will still be there next year so I can sample one
The food at Applebees was actually fine, I think our view of it was tainted by the terrible service. I hadn't heard good or bad about the one opposite Rolling Oaks, and I don't think we've eaten at it ourselves. I hope you enjoy your Megabeer when you get it... make sure you're not on driver duty that day!

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 19, 12:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Geordie Al
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Fuellady View Post
I hope you enjoy your Megabeer when you get it... make sure you're not on driver duty that day!
Still cannot get over the size of the glass! Elaine will be driving that night, its already agreed! Megabeer and their Nachos, cannot wait!
Old 22 Nov 19, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Day 5 - Thursday 5th November 2019 - Cracker Barrel & Blaze Pizza

We haven’t been to Cracker Barrel for many years, having only been once before and we weren’t that impressed. There seemed to be a lot of grits and biscuits on the menu which we’re not that fond of. However, we decided to give it another go today so we stopped at the one on the US192 on our way to Disney Springs. A couple of menu pics…

We waited quite a while for our server to come and take our order after we were seated. In fact, by the time she came we had read the menu several times and made our choices. We had also played several rounds of the solitaire game on the table.

We both ordered coffee, and for my meal I ordered Grandma’s Sampler - Two buttermilk pancakes ‘n butter served with 2 eggs and a sampling of thick-sliced bacon, smoked sausage, sugar-cured or country ham. Served with fried apples or hashbrown casserole and 100% pure natural syrup.

Neil ordered the Sunrise Sampler - Two farm fresh eggs served with grits, fried apples and hashbrown casserole plus a sampling of thick-cut bacon, smoked sausage and country ham. Comes with all the fixin’s. He didn’t want the smoked sausage or grits, so the server added a link sausage instead. For some reason he didn’t get any fried apples, but we didn’t notice until it was too late.

We had another fairly lengthy wait for our meals after we had ordered, and by way of apology our server brought a plate of biscuits and an explanation that the kitchen was a bit backed up at the moment.

These meals were both nice enough when they came, we both particularly liked the hashbrown casserole which was the best thing on the plate, although the ham was nice too. I found my pancakes to be a bit salty and greasy so I didn’t finish them. With the slow service and average food I’m not sure that Cracker Barrel will be back on our list again. Total $25.44 plus tip.

We were parking up at Disney Springs today to use it as a base for visiting some of the resorts. Unfortunately after our fairly late and filling breakfast we weren’t ready to try any Disney snacks. Our only purchases were a drink each from Joffrey’s at the Carribean Beach Skyliner Station. Daylight robbery for 2 soft drinks! Total £8.92.

Finally back at Disney Springs several hours later, we shared a pizza from Blaze. Half with pepperoni for Neil, and Italian Meatballs on the other half for me. We shared the same vegetable toppings, which were tomatoes and red peppers. We asked for iced water to drink and the server handed us 2 empty cups. While waiting for our pizza we looked around for where to get the water but couldn’t find it anywhere. Giving up, we filled our cups instead with Coke for Neil and Sprite for me, and probably should have gone back to pay for the drinks, but we didn’t. Anyway, moving on, when our pizza was ready we sat outside to eat. It was a good pizza, with a nice thin crispy base and the toppings and sauce were good too. No receipt, but the total was $10.60.

We had a couple of drinks by the pool when we arrived home. Beer and wine for Neil, and some of my Seagrams cocktails for me. A while later we made turkey and tomato sandwiches as we had decided to give our stomachs a rest and eat in tonight. I had some more of my Publix salad that I had bought the other day with my sandwiches, and Neil accompanied his with crisps. It might not be fancy, but we both loved our tea tonight, just sitting by the pool eating sandwiches and chatting about our day, while lightning periodically lit up the conservation area in the distance. It was just perfect.

Total food spend today $44.96.

Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 19, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
A great few days. The photo of your girls is lovely, so cute. Cracker Barrel breakfast looks very filling. Did you enjoy the skyliner? I hope so we're staying at CBR next summer and hope to get a lot of use out of it. Pizza at Blaze looks really tasty,

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 19, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Mobile

Blaze looks good as usual. The water is usually on a little tab on one of the drinks on the soda machine it’s sometimes hard to spot.
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 19, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
A great few days. The photo of your girls is lovely, so cute. Cracker Barrel breakfast looks very filling. Did you enjoy the skyliner? I hope so we're staying at CBR next summer and hope to get a lot of use out of it. Pizza at Blaze looks really tasty,
Haha, the girls wouldn't agree, but I do - I love that photo . The meal at Cracker Barrel was filling, just not one of our favourites. We ate far too many of the biscuits while waiting for our main breakfast to come out.

We loved the Skyliner, it was great, and lovely to get a carriage to ourselves. It has a very swift take off from the station which is a lot of fun. WE had a wander around CBR before trying it out. Yes, the pizza from Blaze was very good.

Blaze looks good as usual. The water is usually on a little tab on one of the drinks on the soda machine it’s sometimes hard to spot.
Blaze was very good, it was our first time there and we had been meaning to try it on our last few trips but hadn't got around to it. Whoops, we really didn't see the water tab .

Old 22 Nov 19, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Wednesday 6th November 2019 - Perkins & Olive Garden

We had a BOGO coupon for Perkins valid today (they do this every Wednesday), so that made the decision of where to eat breakfast today very easy. We went to the one on the US192, near to the new Walmart on Old Lake Wilson Road, as our old favourite Perkins on Hwy27 near Posner Park seems to have closed down. We were seated straight away and given menus.

As always at breakfast, we ordered coffee to drink. It’s quite an extensive breakfast menu and it took us a while to decide. In the end Neil went for Hearty Man’s Combo - two eggs, smoked sausage, two applewood smoked bacon strips and two sausage links. Served with crispy hash browns or breakfast potatoes and choice of 4 buttermilk pancakes, baked mammoth muffin or buttered toast. He went with the hashbrown and cinnamon apple muffin options. The warm muffin came out first and he scoffed it while waiting for the cooked breakfast.

Neil enjoyed his breakfast but says it wasn’t the best he’s had. He left most of the smoked sausage as it was like the Mattessons ones we get here and he isn’t too fond of them.

I ordered Meat ‘n Potatoes Omelet (that’s the spelling of omelette on the menu - weird!) - Pork sausage, applewood smoked bacon, smoked ham, grilled red onions and cheddar atop an omelet stuffed with more of the same, plus crispy tots. I swapped the crispy tots for breakfast potatoes, and this meal also came with a choice of bread so I went for the banana nut muffin. Again my muffin was lovely and warm and came out first.

It was all hot, fresh and tasty but if I’m honest I prefer a more traditional cooked breakfast and wished I’d ordered the “build your own” which is what I usually have here in Perkins.

The total was $30.18, but with the BOGO coupon we only paid $17.82 plus tip.

We spent the day shopping at the premium outlets, and didn’t stop for any snacks. As such, we were hungry and thirsty by the time we left so we stopped at Olive Garden at Rolling Oaks for dinner on our way home.

We both had Coke to drink, and ordered from the Early Dinner Duo’s menu, which is available Monday - Thursday, 3-5pm. For $8.99 each you get unlimited breadsticks and unlimited soup or salad, and a choice from 10 entrees. I didn’t get a pic of the menu, but here’s the choice of mains from the Olive Garden website:

Our breadsticks arrived first, followed by our minestrone soup, which we both chose over salad. Neil had 2 bowls of soup and I just had the one. We both love the minestrone here, it’s so tasty and packed with pasta and beans.

For main course, Neil chose Fettuccine Alfredo and I chose Chicken Parmigiana. We both really enjoyed these, they were very good.

Even though we were now full, we decided to have dessert for the first time this trip! I didn’t think I could manage much, so I chose chocolate mousse dolcini, a small pot of chocolate mousse with a chocolate biscuit base. It was good, really quite chocolatey, and just the right size for me.

Neil ordered the zeppoli, which are Italian doughnuts, and they come with either chocolate or raspberry sauce. Neil chose the raspberry. This is a massive dessert, with 8 doughnuts and Neil took half of it home to finish later.

Olive Garden is one of our favourites and once more it didn’t let us down. Total $36.08 plus tip.

Total food spend today $53.90.

Old 23 Nov 19, 12:25 AM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Mobile

I didn’t know that Perkins at junc 55 had closed. Love Perkins and Olive Garden and great deals.
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 19, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I didn’t know that Perkins at junc 55 had closed. Love Perkins and Olive Garden and great deals.
We noticed Perkins wasn’t there the day we were at Bob Evans as they were practically next door to each other. I actually walked back to the road to look better because I couldn’t see the sign! We had a lot of food today for not a lot of money thanks to coupons and offers 👍🏻

Old 23 Nov 19, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Day 7 - Thursday 7th November 2019 - Wawa, Arby’s & Culvers

Bit of a junk food day today. We were going to Clearwater Beach today but we needed fuel first, so headed to our nearest Wawa to fill up before heading off. After we had put gas in the car we popped into the shop to get some breakfast items to eat in the car on the way. We were so impressed, there is everything from baked goods to salads and snacks as well as cold drinks or $0.99. In the end we got a coffee and a donut each, Boston Cream Donut for Neil which had a chocolate topping and a custard filling, and a Caramel Donut for me. We also got a hot sandwich each. Neil chose a bagel filled with bacon, egg and cheese. He says this is the best breakfast he’s had so far! I had a bacon, egg and cheese croissant. It was really nice, hot and tasty. It was excellent value at $10.82 in total. The staff there were really nice too, with the guy on the till joking with us to remember and bring back the donut holes so he could make some donuts with them.

We stayed at Clearwater Beach for 4 hours and didn’t buy any snacks while we were there. We just had water that we had packed from home to keep us hydrated on the beach. On the way back, we stopped at Arby’s in Clearwater as Neil really wanted to try an Arby’s having not done so before. It wasn’t busy, there was only one customer there apart from us. The place looked a little run down, but it was clean and the staff were friendly, asking us where we were from and how long our journey to Florida had taken. Neil ordered the Roast Beef Sandwich, which he said was delicious, the beef was tender and tasty. I had the French Dip Beef Sandwich which was meant to come with Swiss cheese but I asked for no cheese. The jus that came with this was nice, quite beefy tasting, maybe a bit like Bovril. Again, the meat was nice and tender. We hadn’t eaten at an Arby’s before but wouldn’t hesitate to do so again. We each had coke to drink. Total $11.86.

We were out of snacks in the villa, having finished them off yesterday so we popped into Publix on our way home to pick up some bits including drinks (wine, pepsi, Angry Orchard cider), crisps, nuts and sweeties. See the Spice Drops sweets in the picture - we thought they would be fruit flavoured jelly sweets a bit like Fruit Pastilles, but they were the strangest tasting sweets ever. They were flavours like aniseed, peppermint, cloves - they all tasted a bit like different medicines. We ate them anyway. We managed to spend $40.67 on our snacks.

We couldn’t be bothered getting dressed up to go out for dinner and didn’t want to go far, so we just drove the short distance to Culvers on the US192, only about 5 minutes from the villa. I would describe Culvers as an upmarket McDonalds, it’s the same kind of place in that you order at the counter, but it was cleaner and just a bit nicer really.

Neil ordered the Culvers Bacon Deluxe - We start with fresh, never frozen beef. Layer on two strips of crisp bacon, Wisconsin cheese, fresh lettuce, ripe tomatoes, pickles, red onion and our signature mayo. Then cap with a lightly buttered, toasted bun. It’s our Butter Burger at its bacony best. He requested no pickles, and the meal included fries and a drink, which in this case was Coke.

I had the Original Butter Burger - It’s a Culver’s family speciality and the burger that started it all. We use only fresh, never frozen beef, seared on a grill after you order and served on a lightly buttered, toasted bun. Add real Wisconsin cheddar and you’ll know why we wouldn’t change a thing. My meal also came with fries, and I had Sierra Mist for my drink.

The burgers were really good, and the fries nice and crispy.

We finished our meal with a “concrete mixer” each, basically ice cream. These come in different sizes, we both chose the short size which is the second smallest, but in hindsight we should have had the smaller one as it was still an awful lot of ice cream and we struggled to finish. They were really good though, nice and creamy. I had the strawberry and Neil had banana. Total $24.47.

After we had been home a while, Neil had some cider and nuts and the leftover zeppoli’s from Olive Garden yesterday. I was trying to get through the massive carton of Hawaiian Punch we had bought at Walmart on our first day so had some of that with Pringles.

Total food spend today $87.82.