Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 27 Nov 19, 08:06 AM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

When we used it abroad I exchanged what I knew I definitely would use into dollars. While there we topped the card up (you literally just need the last 3 number on the back of the debit card linked to your revolut card to do this) - we left this money in Pounds and used the card like normal.
I love my revolute - you get an instant notification of any transaction and every evening we got an update of that days spends, so easy to keep track. I used it as my contactless card here now
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 19, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ellie666 View Post
Just to stick in my tuppence worth, we have revolut but also starling which i personally find a lot more simpler, every transaction popped up on my mobile app within seconds of it taking place and the fees are completely free, which is what put me off revolut as their is a limit on their free stuff. You also don't have to faff about with pre converting to local currencies for best rate.
as others have said always pay in local currency and that way your card handles the conversion using the Mastercard rate (the best one)
Starling is a bank account, and like credit cards, not everyone will qualify for one. With transferring its only if you want to lock in a specific rate on the day do you need to transfer otherwise you get the bank rate on the day of your transaction.

Edited at 06:11 PM.
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 19, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
delboybloomer
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Duwsh View Post
So I'm going to Disneyland thursday-sunday, would you suggest on the friday I transfer my money to euro's so if I spend anything while there over the weekend I get a better rate? I did notice while in Turkey the weekend rate wasn't fantastic but I ended up hardly using it anyway as I didn't understand it
Yes, that's what I would do. its not a huge difference (about 3%), but every bit helps! As another poster said, the app does become a game of getting maximum rate you can. as its free to transfer to and from each currency, it doesn't cost you anything if you want to convert back to pounds afterwards.
November 2013 - Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge
Aug 2008 & Dec 2009 - Best Western lakeside,
delboybloomer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 19, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
gizzygoo
Earning More Ears

Can you withdraw the money back to your original account with this card or do you have to spend it once its on there? Thanks
gizzygoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 19, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkspideruk
Imagineer

pinkspideruk's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I used mine for the first time this year and loved it but do watch out for reverted charges.

It did a few times on larger spends e.g. upgrading my tix at US/SW to APs, lynx bus station tix and a couple of shops (I think JC Penneys and Walmart) all were over $70.

It took the money initially and then a few days later reverted it and put the money back in my account. It then took up to 2 weeks for it to be recharged. It meant just keeping an eye on my balance (which is super easy to do in the app) to make sure I had left enough on it for the recharge.

Apart from that it was fab and ive linked it to my bookings for next year

Sep 01 - Sep 20 Universal Endless Summer Surfside
pinkspideruk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 19, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Duwsh
Helping Minnie

Thanks so much for all your help! Very much appreciated.
March 21 - DLP
September 21 - WDW
Duwsh is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 19, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
ellie666
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
Starling is a bank account, and like credit cards, not everyone will qualify for one. With transferring its only if you want to lock in a specific rate on the day do you need to transfer otherwise you get the bank rate on the day of your transaction.
it is essentially a bank account, however pretty much anyone can apply for it, i think just bankrupts and IVAers might be the exception.
if you have crappy credit then you get ZERO overdraft allowance but as it is essentially a debit card then there is no risk to them as it will only authorise transactions like a debit card.
Orlando (No Disney apart from MNSSHP) - 2022
Disneyland Mars (Green Lagoon) - 2038
ellie666 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 19, 11:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Night-train
Very Serious Dibber

Silly question (probably) but how do you actually go about obtaining one of these cards?
Old 5 Dec 19, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post
ellie666
Proud to wear my Ears

starlingbank/open-bank-account-online/
revolut/
Orlando (No Disney apart from MNSSHP) - 2022
Disneyland Mars (Green Lagoon) - 2038
ellie666 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List