Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 5 Dec 19, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
guinness_79
Very Serious Dibber

1 hour layover on the way home

Just using ITA to try and find some flights for next October - some good prices coming up with United howevver indirect via Washington on the way home with only an hour layover - would this be enough
guinness_79 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 19, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post

I’d rather have longer, but if there was really nothing else suitable, I might take my chances for the return trip as I wouldn’t be too bothered about missing it and taking a later flight or my luggage arriving a day later.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 19, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
claireyfairy8
Apprentice Imagineer

claireyfairy8's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
I fly indirect a lot, but would never chance an hour in an airport I didn't know.

The only airport I'd take an hour in would be Detroit, it's quite small. I have also ran the length of it in order to catch a flight (different story).

You really want 1hr30 to allow for delays.
claireyfairy8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 19, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Reunion
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
I fly indirect to and from the USA a lot... an hour is tight even for lastminute.com me - in a large airport like Washington. 90 minutes is usually my minimum - and per the above post I have been known to run the length of Charlotte airport a few times with a short connection caused by an outbound delay on my first flight! With only an hour you are dependent on your flight to Washington being on time or early... and if it is not there being a later flight home that has availability.
Reunion is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 19, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
claireyfairy8
Apprentice Imagineer

claireyfairy8's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
I would agree, Charlotte is another that I could do in an hour if I tried.

Atlanta is another one that is easy to navigate.
claireyfairy8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 19, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by claireyfairy8 View Post
I fly indirect a lot, but would never chance an hour in an airport I didn't know.

The only airport I'd take an hour in would be Detroit, it's quite small. I have also ran the length of it in order to catch a flight (different story).

You really want 1hr30 to allow for delays.
My family ran the length of Detroit airport too, I hobbled and waddled along behind.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 19, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I just checked my old emails and a few years ago I took United MCO-IAD-LHR with a 43 minute connection in Washington. And the IAD-LHR flight was the last flight of the day...

Anyway what I remember of that experience was that on the MCO-IAD flight, the flight crew made an announcement before landing that there were a number of passengers on board with very tight connections, and if you were one of them to press your call light so that they knew where you are. And they asked other passengers to try to let us off first - and amazingly they did, so I managed to get off the plane extremely quickly. I seem to recall there was a United agent at the gate with information about flight connections and they told me which gate I needed to go to and gave me directions. I fast walked for what felt like ages (probably around 10-15 minutes) to get to my connecting gate and just made it on board with a few minutes to spare.

So based on my one experience - yes, an hour's connection at Washington is do-able, however it is not entirely pleasant to be fast walking through any airport terminal or worrying about missing the connection! I would definitely go for longer than an hour if I could.