Notices

Old 2 Jun 12, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Adora
Imagineer

Adora's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
No accompanying pictures for this post, but I have a couple more planned that will include pictures, and this is more of a meandering, jibberish post really, so bear with me.
Alongside the weight loss for this holiday, my other well being vow for this holiday was to get my teeth done.
They're not horrid, I have beautifully straight teeth, never needed braces as a kid or anything like that, but when I was about six I had scarlet fever and managed to develop a super rare side effect that basically results in a tremendously high fever and can damage the calcium formation of your bones and teeth. This is something like a one in two million chance. Guess who was the one in two million? I can't win the lottery, but I'm good at getting rare side effects of illnesses, it seems to be my speciality.
So, once my adult teeth started to come through, they all came through completely hollow (not enough calcium to make them nice and strong).
I hated the dentist as a kid, as I got scarlet fever just as a lot of my baby teeth were fully coming out and my adult teeth were going to come through, so I seemed to spend forever in the dentist and developed a real phobia. So much so, that my last visit to the dentist was when I was 7. I'm 26 now. Thankfully for me all teeth remained intact for most of the interim period between the ages of 7 and 26.
I tried going to a dentist about four years ago. I managed to get sat in the chair, which was a miracle in itself as I was shaking that badly and kept nearly fainting. The guy didn't speak English, wouldn't tell me what was going on, did an examination and kept shaking his head, and so on. He told me the course of treatment he wanted to do, and it basically involved taking out nearly all my teeth, not replacing any with bridges or implants, and wanted to charge me a huge amount for the privilege.
So any courage I'd gotten up at that point suddenly vanished and needless to say I didn't go back to him.
That was December '08. Fast forward to July '09 and the stale bread incident. We got married in July '09 and were going to florida for honeymoon. We'd been looking forward to it for absolutely ages. Our flights were with virgin and we were excited to fly with them as we'd heard lots of good things.
So as not to totally go off topic, I'll say that the 'rock star treatment' we'd been led to believe we would receive, was not present that day. We were ignored when we were trying to print our boarding passes off, and when we asked for help from an employee he said that he'd been helping families first. I wasn't sure at that point what we were then if not family, but ok. At check in desk the girl look flabbergasted that we were married and kept snatching our passports back off us to look at our dates of birth. Apparently I looked like a child bride and really shouldn't have been marrying so young. Thankyou check-in-girl-that-was-actually-two-years-younger-than- me. And then we got searched no less than four times each from the point of customs to actually getting on the plane, and that really is a topic for a whole different post as I could go on about it for pages.
So, we eventually stop bein insulted and felt up, and are allowed on to the plane. We're sat in a row of three with a delightful gentleman who spends the whole flight continuously standing up to talk to his wife and kids who are say behind, and who keeps knocking Matt's tray about. It was inevitable, but about 4 hours into the flight he knocks a full cup of coffee straight over Matt. It was red hot. Then ensues twenty minutes of Matt trying to get some feeling back into his nethers, and me trying to stop the guy from apologising for the sixth hundredth time.
We eventually get settled and think nothing else can go wrong. That's when I'm served the bread roll of doom. It must have come from the virgin history museum, as it was like a brick to bite. Not knowing this, I take a bite and feel a horrible crunch and crack. One of my molars on the right, that I'd managed to keep intact, with no dental intervention, for 16 years by that point, had completely shattered when trying to bite into the brick I'd been served.
Fast forward to getting off the plane, and it was beginning to hurt a lot. By the time we'd checked in to AKL I was climbing the walls and went on to spend two weeks dosed up on Tylenol and not able to eat very much at all, and we missed out on doing a lot of things as I was in so much pain-I'd bought tickets for Matt to see his favourite band at The Social, and we had to leave before they came on as the vibrations from the music were causing me that much pain I passed out. Even having the air conditioning on in the room was making me cry.
When we got back I wrote a ten page essay to virgin customer services about their 'rockstar' treatment. I wish I still had the email as I wrote it completely ad lib and in the heat of the moment, and once I'd sent it off I read it back to myself. I sounded like a complete nutbag. A nutbag with valid points, but a nutbag none the less. If the person who received my letter was having a bad day until then, they certainly weren't once they'd read that.
Anyway, after promising not to go off on a tangent, I've just done that very thing. My point being. That I spent two weeks in complete agony, which spoilt most of our honeymoon, and all for a tooth. We've been saving for this years holiday since we got back off honeymoon, and I was determined to not let stupid teeth spoil this holiday.
So, I was lucky enough in January to find an NHS dentist. I was still terrified of going and had a panic attack in the waiting room before my initial examination, and then proceeded to cry all the way through the actual examination, but I did it.
I had a fair amount of work that needed doing-four fillings, four extractions, two new veneers, one porcelain crown. And as a treat to myself, I was going to have a super super laser teeth whitening at the end, but before my veneers.
It seems a lot, but for the amount of damage the scarlet fever caused, it wasn't actually that much compared to what it could have been.
So, this brings me to the whole point of my post. I got through the examination and started my treatment in February. I've so far had four lovely new white fillings, and on Tuesday I had my first two extractions. One was a dodgy wisdom tooth, the other was the tooth I broke on the Virgin bread roll. I'm glad to see the back of it, and even though my gob still hurts from where the teeth were pulled, it's not a fraction of what I felt on honeymoon.
I can't wait to get back to Disney with lovely white, non-painful teeth.
And I've got over my 19 year long fear of dentists. My heart was hammering when I was waiting to have the extractions done on Tuesday, but it really was nothing , it took less than three minutes to get both teeth out and that was that. So if anyone is reading this and is in the same position I was in (and believe me, I couldn't step into a dentists office six months ago without having a panic attack), then it's so worth it, the fear dissipates do quickly it's unbelievable and the confidence I've gained from having a nice dentist and knowing I can go there now is fantastic.

I've got the other two extractions in three weeks and then it's on to the fun stuff after that.
July 2009-AKL honeymoon
Oct 2007-DLP Newport Bay
Aug 2005-Eagle Pointe Villas
Sept 2004-DLP Disneyland Hotel and New York Hotel
Adora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 12, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Adora
Imagineer

Adora's Reviews
Oh goodness, I didn't realise I'd rambled on for so long! Congrats to anyone who actually reads all that, you deserve a medal!
July 2009-AKL honeymoon
Oct 2007-DLP Newport Bay
Adora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 12, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Adora
Imagineer

Adora's Reviews
The countdown is coming down really fast now!
We're almost at the four month mark now and we've done quite a bit more preparation.
After we'd knocked the camaro off and hired a mustang directly through Hertz, we had 6k still left to pay off the holiday balance.
We paid £3400 off last week, so we've got £2600 to pay off in...five weeks.
I think I said earlier in the report, but when we moved into our house last year, we basically had just packed all our clothes up from the old house into bags, and when we got here they all got stored in the garage. The only things that didn't end up in the garage were a couple of small bags of things, so there's about 6 or 7 huge ikea bags full of clothes to sort out and sell in there.
I've been sorting out little bits to put on Ebay over the past week, just stuff from around the house such as clothes that are too big for me now and bits of make-up, and I've managed to make £600 so far in the last week from selling these bits on Ebay.
Hoping to do this every week for the next couple of months, as we have a huge amount of stuff that doesn't get worn or used, and is just taking up space, so we should be able to make enough to pay off the holiday this way, and make some space. Don't worry, we do have the remaining balance available in savings, but I'd much rather pretend it's not there and that way it's motivating me to sort out all the things in the house that we don't actually need.

We've already been packing our bags, and I have our hand luggage sorted out and have been popping bits and pieces into the suitcases as they've been bought. We don't plan on buying a lot of stuff, but as we're going to a couple of water parks, I needed some new swimwear, and found some nice stuff in Asda. I'm big boobed and relatively small waisted in comparison, and normally when I find a nice bikini I can't buy it as the top would fit me but the bottoms would be huge, or the bottoms would fit and the top would be obscene!
So when I found these I was chuffed.

I managed to get two bikinis for £10, the bottoms and tops were both £2.50 each. Though I had to buy a 12 in the bottoms and a size 20 in the tops.
The shorts are from Asda also and are not obscenely short, so should be nice for (hopefully) hot days in the parks.
July 2009-AKL honeymoon
Oct 2007-DLP Newport Bay
Old 3 Jul 12, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Adora
Imagineer

Adora's Reviews
Just a quick update for today.
Days to go:115
Balance left to pay:£2000 exact
Weight lost: 22lb
Weight loos still to go:at least 24lb before the holiday
Chance of this happening:not amazing but I'll give it a good go
ADRs: all booked bar Teppan Edo, and we might change Le Cellier to a lunch time booking to make it a 1TS credit meal
Other meals/places we'd like to eat on the DDP:T-Rex possibly, Raglan Road, Yak and Yeti, Wolfgang Pucks
Eateries outside of Disney: Bubba Gumps (loved it on our honeymoon), Cheesecake Factory, Five Guys
Tickets purchased: Disney Ultimate 21 days, MNSSHP, MVMCP
Tickets to get: HHN, still dithering over whether to buy Flexi Tickets or not
Excursions: Thinking of a manatee swim but we're not sure of the drive at 4am
Other essentials: ESTA's done, API's done, passports renewed, drivers license sorted, car hire booked and paid for separately
Spending money: Currently at zero, I'll be using my September wage to change into dollars
July 2009-AKL honeymoon
Oct 2007-DLP Newport Bay
Old 20 Jul 12, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Adora
Imagineer

Adora's Reviews
I think this has become more of a ramble to myself than anything of interest to anyone else now!

We paid the balance off today, so we're now officially paid up and going.
We're also into double digits, and I swear as soon as the countdown ticked into 99 days and something, the hours started to speed up enormously. The past couple of days have whizzed by, and I don't even know where the time has gone. We've got most of our plan finished now (i'll see if I can upload a picture later as I made it out of an A2 piece of card and it amuses me every time I look at it). We've got a couple of free days, and I'm going to swap around a couple of days as I've done them in the wrong order (SeaWorld and Blizzard Beach on the first Monday and Tuesday we are there are the wrong way around).
We've decided against the manatee swim and Busch Gardens this time as it would be an horrendously long day and really early start, and I think it would just wipe us out for several days after, which I don't want to happen. We're also conscious now of not increasing the cost anymore than we have to, so we're going for a DC day instead, with SW and Aquatica tickets included, which we'd have bought anyway.

Weight loss wise, I've lost 24lbs now, but didn't really feel like I'd lost a single pound. That was until I found my favourite pair of jeans, they haven't fit me in over four years, and the last time I tried to get them on, I couldn't even get them up past my thighs. I've tried them on this evening and can get them on fully and zip them up. Don't fancy leaving the house in them yet as they're skin tight, but it's going the right way.

And for anyone who is going late in the year and needs to buy their summer clothes now, there are masses of sales on at the moment. I don't want to spend a lot on clothes as I'm not sure what size I'm going to be when we go, so I bought a couple of pairs of combat type shorts in the H&M sale. At £2 a pair I could afford to buy them in a couple of different sizes and not feel bad about wasting money.
July 2009-AKL honeymoon
Oct 2007-DLP Newport Bay