Old 16 Aug 13, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Another anniversary trip - January/February 2014

Well I thought with only 6 months to go it was about time I got started on my Pre Trip report for our January /February 2014 visit!

We have got a sneaky visit to New York between now and then (see pre trippy here) but realistically, I need to start thinking about our Florida visit too. When we get back from NY we will only have 8 weeks before this trip and with Christmas smack bang in the middle of that, there won’t be much time to plan!

So, onto the cast…

Me, Abi – will be 28 when we travel (honestly I don’t feel that old!) Lover of thrill rides, outlet shopping, SeaWorld and all American FOOD!

OH/Hubby, Aaron – will be 27, a bigger fan of the outlets (I have never known another boy shop so much!) and most looking forward to a return visit to Millers Ale House after discovering it on our April 2013 trip!

This will be our 5th visit together to the House of Mouse! The main difference with this trip compared to all others is that we will not be visiting Disney! (Well apart from DTD, the Boardwalk, Art of Animation resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Celebration and possibly Typhoon Lagoon! ) So when I say no Disney, I just mean the main 4 parks, I will have to get my fill somewhere!

We stayed on site in April and knew at that point we wouldn’t be doing the parks in 2014 so we made sure we got our fill for a while! By the end of our week on site Aaron was itching to escape to Idrive and hit the shopping malls & cheaper restaurants! So that’s what this trip is about, with a bit of Universal/SeaWorld & possibly Discovery Cove thrown in!

Travel dates & flight browsing:

Our dates are pretty much set in stone! We want to fly out on Tuesday January 28th & fly back on Friday February 7th. This will be out 3rd 10 day trip and we feel like that’s just the right amount of time for us. I first looked at flight prices in April this year and they pretty much haven’t moved since. They are currently at £550.00 each but I’m holding out for the August Bank Holiday sale and hoping to get them at under £500! I know they have gone well below that for the same dates in the last 3 years so I don’t think I’m asking too much. I do have enough miles for an M&M flight if needs be but currently that’s only knocking about £30 of each flight and Id rather keep the miles I think.

Accommodation:

We have booked the Rosen Inn at Pointe Orlando again. The location just cannot be beaten and there is nothing remotely close on offer for the same price! We have paid £35 per night with Travel Republic and secured that rate with a £1 deposit!. Happy days!

Car Hire:

The only other thing I have booked already is car hire. I got quite a good deal through Argus Car Hire with Quido cash back and so the total price for a basic car for the full 10 days is £131.00. The car hire is with Budget so I’m happy with that.

Celebrations:

In the time we are there we will be celebrating our 3 year wedding anniversary. After much though we have decided that we will spend the day at SeaWorld (my favourite park) and then probably get a taxi to DTD and eat at House of Blues! We have bought a Restaurant.com voucher again as we thought it was such good value in April and I cannot wait to have a couple of their Sangrias to accompany my buttermilk fried chicken! Honestly one of the best meals imaginable!

Other plans: Parks

We will be buying 2 park, 14 day Universal tickets so we have no limitations there, im guessing we will spend a full day at each park with an addition morning/afternoon there if required. In addition we also need SeaWorld tickets as we will probably pop there 3 or 4 times! That’s where Im struggling with ticket choices! We don’t fancy doing Wet n Wild/Aquatica/Busch this trip so there is no point in us getting the Flex ticket, nowhere seems to offer a 14 day SeaWorld only ticket and direct only offer a one day option which won’t be enough for me!

That’s where I think Discovery Cove may come in. We really enjoyed our day here on our Honeymoon and since then I have become a braver snorkeler and think we would enjoy it even more a second time round. We can’t really afford to do the dolphin swim but if we go for a non swim package, that includes the 14 day SeaWorld ticket I’m after its actually pretty good value when you consider all food/drink is included! The only thing holding me back at the moment is the weather! We have been very lucky so far, in that the two February trips we have had, the sun has been shining and the temperatures have been well into the late 70’s/early 80’s! Im well aware though that it can be a cooler time of year and maybe just a bit too cool for Discover Cove – we shall have to wait and see what I decide!

Other plans: St Augustine

On my family visit to Florida in 1994 (at the grand old age of 9) we visited St Augustine! I remember it being absolutely beautiful and have fancied visiting again ever since. Seen as we will have a fair few spare days on this trip we will be heading up there and seeing if it’s as good as I remember! Please let me know any tips you have for places to eat ect… I need to do a bit of research I think!

Other plans: Superbowl

On this visit we will once again be there for Superbowl Sunday! Last time we ordered in a pizza (not just any pizza, Giordanos stuffed pizza pie!) and watched the game in our hotel room, we really enjoyed it but fancy heading out this year! I think we will book tickets to the Millers Ale House Superbowl party. I believe it’s a $50 tickets and includes an all you can eat buffet and an open bar! Sounds good to me!

Other plans: Dine with Shamu

This is on my must do list this year! I have always fancied it but never got around to booking it! As soon as the February dates are released ill be there, credit card in hand!

Other Plans: Friends

One of my best friends is planning on being in Florida at the same time as us with her BF! We had a planning night back in April/May where I introduced her to the Dibb & tried to explain the sheer vastness of Orlando & the parks and by then end of the night she had decided to go! At the moment she is planning on getting the same flights as us (they were the cheapest on offer for the time of year) and is also staying in the Rosen Inn! We are not officially going on holiday together, but the hotel/flights are the best on offer so I couldn’t recommend anything else to her! It will be fabulous being able to meet up for a couple of meals/cocktails and/or a theme park for a day! Her name is Emma and she has joined the Dibb with the user name Mowgli86!

So thats where we stand at the moment! There will be an update shortly once I have fully decided on the restaurants we will be visiting!

Edited at 10:54 AM.
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 13, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Emma2288
Very Serious Dibber

Omg Abi feels like you only just came back and your planning another! You'll have t tell me your secret of how you manage to fit in so many amazing trips! ;-)

I couldn't imagine going to Orlando without going to Disney but I guess if I'd been as much as you had then maybe I would

Your plans so far sound pretty cool! It's good that you are wanting to do other things instead of just the parks. Florida is a massive place and other things get overlooked as most people (like me!) only focus on the parks!

You have kinda made me wanna add house of blues to my restaurant list! You already made me put milers on there... Don't think I've got room for others!

Looking forward to reading more plans
Emma2288 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 13, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
LaurenYorkshir
Imagineer

So glad you have started this ! I would love to be out there for Superbowl and Millers would without doubt be my destination of choice Patrick's love of outlets is also pretty big for a boy and he often tells me off for being 'tight' with my clothes purchases . Your plans sound great and I would happily do an Idrive based trip with maybe just Universal so looking forward to your report xx

LaurenYorkshir is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 13, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Originally Posted by Emma2288 View Post
Omg Abi feels like you only just came back and your planning another! You'll have t tell me your secret of how you manage to fit in so many amazing trips! ;-)

I couldn't imagine going to Orlando without going to Disney but I guess if I'd been as much as you had then maybe I would

Your plans so far sound pretty cool! It's good that you are wanting to do other things instead of just the parks. Florida is a massive place and other things get overlooked as most people (like me!) only focus on the parks!

You have kinda made me wanna add house of blues to my restaurant list! You already made me put milers on there... Don't think I've got room for others!

Looking forward to reading more plans
Hi Emma! Look your countdown! Thats come round fast, i remember it being well in excess of 100 days!

Im not sure how we manage so many holidays to be honest, hard saving mainly, we dont treat ourselves to much else but im happy to go without if it means we get to travel as much as possible!

I know, it will seem a bit strange going and not doing Disney, but we just can't justify the price on whats supposed to be a very budget trip!

If there is any chance you can fit House of Blues in, you should do it! Its not cheap but if you can get a restaurant.com voucher it becomes very reasonable!

Are you going to to do a trip report! Ive had a gander looking for a pre trippy but I cant see one!

Originally Posted by LaurenYorkshir View Post
So glad you have started this ! I would love to be out there for Superbowl and Millers would without doubt be my destination of choice Patrick's love of outlets is also pretty big for a boy and he often tells me off for being 'tight' with my clothes purchases . Your plans sound great and I would happily do an Idrive based trip with maybe just Universal so looking forward to your report xx
Glad you're along for the ride!

I know, im seriously looking forward to the Superbowl party! I think the tickets get released in November so ill be watching the website for more info!

Glad you have a fellow man shopper! I suppose we should be happy, lots of men absolutely hate the outlet side of the holiday don't they! !

Edited at 09:45 AM.
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 13, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Emma2288
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by abiknox View Post
Hi Emma! Look your countdown! Thats come round fast, i remember it being well in excess of 100 days!

Im not sure how we manage so many holidays to be honest, hard saving mainly, we dont treat ourselves to much else but im happy to go without if it means we get to travel as much as possible!

I know, it will seem a bit strange going and not doing Disney, but we just can't justify the price on whats supposed to be a very budget trip!

If there is any chance you can fit House of Blues in, you should do it! Its not cheap but if you can get a restaurant.com voucher it becomes very reasonable!

Are you going to to do a trip report! Ive had a gander looking for a pre trippy but I cant see one!
I know! I think it was around 150 days when you went on your trip! Does seem to have gone pretty fast so far but Im sure these last 6 weeks are gonna go slooooowww..

Thats like us for this trip, havent treated ourselves anywhere else. Prob have to be grown up next year though

I'm gonna go and check the menu out right now!

Ah im useless Havent done a pre-trip.. I shouldve done really.. but when I booked I was pretty new to The Dibb and just starting a new job. I think i will find myself being quite depressed doing a trip report And I don't think i would finish it ..

I might consider a trip report when i get back.. I hear it helps with the Disney blues? I thought it would make it worse lol
Emma2288 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 13, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Originally Posted by Emma2288 View Post
I know! I think it was around 150 days when you went on your trip! Does seem to have gone pretty fast so far but Im sure these last 6 weeks are gonna go slooooowww..

Thats like us for this trip, havent treated ourselves anywhere else. Prob have to be grown up next year though

I'm gonna go and check the menu out right now!

Ah im useless Havent done a pre-trip.. I shouldve done really.. but when I booked I was pretty new to The Dibb and just starting a new job. I think i will find myself being quite depressed doing a trip report And I don't think i would finish it ..

I might consider a trip report when i get back.. I hear it helps with the Disney blues? I thought it would make it worse lol
I love writing my trippies, more so for my benefit in a few years time to look back on. I re read our honeymoon one the other day and its so nice to have all the details written down. You should take notes either way and then see if you feel like it after you're back! Nothing to lose then, if you don't take notes, you might wish you had
Old 17 Aug 13, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post
smedley
Imagineer

Loving the plans so far, very cool to be there for Super Bowl weekend

Previous trips (mostly villas,) '98,'00,03,04x2,06,07,11 (first onsite stay SSR),12 villa and RCI cruise,14 OKW,15 RCI cruise, Clearwater and Int Drive. 16 West Coast DL, 17
smedley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 13, 11:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Read this earlier but was rudely interrupted by my children wanting their dinner so I had to go without commenting!

All sounds brill! We are big NFL fans and often go to the games in London, have you thought about that at all, there are 2 this year? Anyhow, my dh would be particularly jealous of you being there during the Superbowl, great atmosphere and your plans sound great.

Looking forward to your NY trip first and planning on stealing all of your ideas from your trippie for when we go next year!
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 13, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Originally Posted by smedley View Post
Loving the plans so far, very cool to be there for Super Bowl weekend
Thanks for reading! Ep, Super Bowl should be good!

Originally Posted by Glee Fan View Post
Read this earlier but was rudely interrupted by my children wanting their dinner so I had to go without commenting!

All sounds brill! We are big NFL fans and often go to the games in London, have you thought about that at all, there are 2 this year? Anyhow, my dh would be particularly jealous of you being there during the Superbowl, great atmosphere and your plans sound great.

Looking forward to your NY trip first and planning on stealing all of your ideas from your trippie for when we go next year!
children distracting you from the Dibb! You should have let them go hungry

Must admit, I never realised there were any NFL games played in England! Interesting. I only just got to grips with how the game works last year, all very confusing but i think I understand the rules now! I'm hoping the New England Patriots get to the final again, Tom Brady is certainly easy on the eye!
Old 18 Aug 13, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
MissVincent
Imagineer

Really enjoy your reports so looking forward to another one. And its really nice that your friends will be there at the same time
MissVincent is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List