Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 15 Jul 21, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Srbj
Helping Mickey

Naples or Anna Maria Island for family

Seeing a lot of good stuff about Anna Maria island - it does look beautiful! We had in mind Naples but Hubble moaning it’s a longer drive... we want to chill, swim, beach, paddle board, boat trip kinda 4 nights at the end of our orlando trip. Is there enough to do for my 2 active boys at Anna Maria? Any one been to both - which would you recommend?
Srbj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 21, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Both are excellent.

If you have been to neither, Naples I’d go for. It’s just a lot larger area, many more beaches, one of the best outlet miles, tons of shopping and restaurants, and lots of things to do- there’s a zoo, a nice little water park, trips to Sanibel, Fort Myers, Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary etc.

I really enjoy the drive down (done maybe 20 times) it’s no hassle at all. There’s always a McDonalds we stop at half way down with a Speedway next door where we get a coffee and refuel and I am REALLY missing the feeling we get when we pull in there thinking only another hour or so to Naples which we love.

Just cancelled our home rental on Lely, Naples this morning.😩
Old 19 Jul 21, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
jadehouse
Very Serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 19
I've been to Naples and the surrounding areas, quite a few times. We enjoy Marco Island, Fort Myers, Sanibel and Captiva Islands.

But for us nothing compares to Anna Maria Island. All of the above are very nice but too built up, with high-rise condo blocks and big hotels.

Anna Maria is nothing like that, the building regs are...Nothing taller than a palm tree and no chain restaurants or McDonalds, but just over either of the 2 bridges on and off the island you have all those and more.

We first went way back in 2008, with our teenagers in tow. We all fell in love and have returned most years, with family, for big birthday trips of 20 plus people, holidays with our grown-up children and even had a couple of girly holidays down there too. Haven't had anyone who didn't love the place as much as us.

We should have spent 2 weeks there in April, but next year is my husbands 60th, so we are planning another big holiday with 18 people in 2 homes.

great beaches, lots to do and fabulous white beaches. I'm sure you'll have a great time, no matter where you decide to go on the beautiful Gulf coast
Old 19 Jul 21, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jadehouse View Post
I've been to Naples and the surrounding areas, quite a few times. We enjoy Marco Island, Fort Myers, Sanibel and Captiva Islands.

But for us nothing compares to Anna Maria Island. All of the above are very nice but too built up, with high-rise condo blocks and big hotels.

Anna Maria is nothing like that, the building regs are...Nothing taller than a palm tree and no chain restaurants or McDonalds, but just over either of the 2 bridges on and off the island you have all those and more.

We first went way back in 2008, with our teenagers in tow. We all fell in love and have returned most years, with family, for big birthday trips of 20 plus people, holidays with our grown-up children and even had a couple of girly holidays down there too. Haven't had anyone who didn't love the place as much as us.

We should have spent 2 weeks there in April, but next year is my husbands 60th, so we are planning another big holiday with 18 people in 2 homes.

great beaches, lots to do and fabulous white beaches. I'm sure you'll have a great time, no matter where you decide to go on the beautiful Gulf coast
There’s Subway on Anna Maria Island near Holmes beach.

Personally I wouldn’t call Naples built up at all. It’s an area of great natural beauty I think and quite upmarket. Obviously it’s a lot bigger than AMA. Now Fort Lauderdale, that’s built up. And I’m a fan of Anna Maria also!
Old 19 Jul 21, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
tmwalsh
Apprentice Imagineer

Naples was lovely if not a little pricey but maybe I'm being tight. God I could go for a wawa $1 slushy right now.
tmwalsh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 21, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
steph206
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Both are excellent.

If you have been to neither, Naples I’d go for. It’s just a lot larger area, many more beaches, one of the best outlet miles, tons of shopping and restaurants, and lots of things to do- there’s a zoo, a nice little water park, trips to Sanibel, Fort Myers, Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary etc.

I really enjoy the drive down (done maybe 20 times) it’s no hassle at all. There’s always a McDonalds we stop at half way down with a Speedway next door where we get a coffee and refuel and I am REALLY missing the feeling we get when we pull in there thinking only another hour or so to Naples which we love.

Just cancelled our home rental on Lely, Naples this morning.😩
Hopefully won't be much longer.
HONEYMOON 2016 - Oasis of the Seas / Orlando, Nov 2017, July 2018/2019, Dec 2022, July 2023
steph206 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 21, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Gabsnoot
Imagineer

We visited Naples for a day when we were staying in Cape Coral, it was a lovely. We did a dolphin boat tour and saw some of the most spectacular houses I’ve ever seen, with some pretty huge yachts moored alongside. Definitely worth a visit.

We’ve not been to Anna Maria Island yet but it’s on the list for our next trip. There are always lots of really positive posts about it on here so it would be great to go and experience it.

I can see the solution to your quandary, what you’re going to need is another Florida holiday. Visit Naples on one trip and Anna Maria Island on the other . Seriously though, I don’t think you can go wrong with either.
Gabsnoot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 21, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Both are excellent. I have a preference for Naples out of the two, as I fell in love with Delnor Wiggins State Park.

We normally look to visit the Gulf for a few days as we move down to departure from Miami International.

You can see some images in my Boston 2019 trip report.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 07:57 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List