Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 15 Jul 21, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Summer in the Wild West of Scotland - Day 3 - What’s the Story…

Summer in the Wild West of Scotland - Day 3 - What’s the Story…

Index is here

Tobermory was the plan for today. We were all still shattered from the wildlife cruise and it was very difficult to get ds on the move. He wasn’t feeling the holiday spirit today. (Teenagers!) We drove back to Kilchoan and encountered a fair few more cars than the day before.

Dh was a little worried about getting parked at the ferry terminal but it was fine. There were about 6 cars waiting to board the ferry but there was room for double that imo . It worked out about £15 for the 3 of us return as walk on passengers.

The weather was not as good as yesterday, I was very thankful that we’d done the wildlife cruise the day before as the temperature and conditions wouldn’t have made that quite as enjoyable. It was absolutely freezing on the Ferry and was raining a little, mainly a drizzle, on the way there, it Took about 35 minutes.

I don’t really know what I expected Tobermory to be like, too many years of watching Ballamory when Ds was little, it was Beautiful with all the different coloured houses but also absolutely chaotic with cars looking for parking and narrow streets that were pretty busy.

We Walked all the way around to the Main Street up to the market which is on every Monday during the summer. The market was small but had loads of local produce, fishmongers, a couple of bakeries, a butcher with lots of venison and pies and some food stalls. We bought smoked salmon with Italian herbs, tray bakes and tablet.

Dh had a burger, he has pretty boring food tastes at times. Ds and I had spiced scallop wraps with a spicy salad. This was immense. There was seaweed chutney in them somewhere as well and we bought a jar of the spicy option.

After we’d eaten we wandered back and bought doughnuts from another stall, on the way in they had masses of different flavours but the choices were a bit more limited by the time we went back. Ds snd I had banoffee ones and Dh had a plain one. They were so good.

We didn’t really have a plan of what we wanted to do other than a little shopping at the market. It would have probably bee. A better day if we’d planned a walk as well. Ds still wasn’t loving life too much today, he’d even needed to be persuaded to have a scallop wrap, nothing usually impairs his love of food! We wandered back along the Main Street stopping in at some of the shops, we bought Mil some nice stuff in the Mull soap shop and we bought a wee art thing with puffins. We nipped in to the bakers and got some jam doughnuts to take back for later, I wanted bread as well but they were sold out. I liked the wee sign in the shop 😂

When we came out the last shop the rain was pelting down and that influenced our decision just to catch the next ferry back to Kilchoan. Thankfully the rain stayed off for the crossing. It was pretty quiet, just us and one other woman as walk on and about 5 cars. When we were disembarking there was a hold up with one of the cars getting off, turns out the driver and passenger had fallen asleep and seemed to get the fright of their lives when the staff knocked on the window. 😂

It was cows on the road today…

I was still keen to try and get some nice bread. I knew Kilchoan Ferry stores got deliveries of sour dough bread from the bakery at Mingarry Castle on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday so with it only being a 5 minute detour we headed for there. It was closed for lunch so we just had a wander as we hung around. Right enough bang on 2pm the wee man came out the next door house snd opened up. I got my bread which was delicious and some chocolate, we sat outside and had our snack. Every wee shop I’ve been in has orange twirls, where as I can only ever find them in scotmid at home…There’s a wee petrol station here as well.

On the way back we had torrential Rain. It was so bad that luckily we found a place to park and wait out the worst of it as the visibility was horrendous, Ds meanwhile slept through all of this, even me opening the door to take photos.

Thankfully it eased off till just before we got back to the cottage.

We had a little afternoon tea with some of our food goodies. Ds took himself off to his room with his iPad for a break away from us while Dh and I sat and discussed plans for summer 2022 in Orlando, fingers crossed.

We watched Terminator 2 which Ds thought was way better than the first one, it always reminds me of the universal show. I made some salmon pasta with our Italian seasoned Tobermory salmon and we polished off the tray bakes which were all lovely.

Edited at 07:27 PM.
Rescuer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 21, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
A shame about the weather. Tobermory sounds a bit hectic and not so nice to walk around, although you did manage some tasty treats from the market.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 21, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

Tobermory is somewhere I want to visit just a shame it's so busy although that might just be this year and school holidays

A lovely day and great pictures
Old 20 Jul 21, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
A shame about the weather. Tobermory sounds a bit hectic and not so nice to walk around, although you did manage some tasty treats from the market.
I’m still glad we went to visit, we should have planned a walk away from the front to experience Mull a bit more.

Originally Posted by P&S View Post
Tobermory is somewhere I want to visit just a shame it's so busy although that might just be this year and school holidays

A lovely day and great pictures
Quite possibly, I was really surprised at how busy it was. At least all the look businesses would have been doing well. It was probably just a shock to the system after hardly seeing a soul over on Ardnamurchan😂
Old 25 Jul 21, 08:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Even with the cooler/overcast weather Tobermory is just so pretty! I love a good farmer’s market and you do well with your treats/snacks! Fab pics. Xx
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 21, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Originally Posted by Sparksy72 View Post
Even with the cooler/overcast weather Tobermory is just so pretty! I love a good farmer’s market and you do well with your treats/snacks! Fab pics. Xx
It is lovely to look at.

Food is very much a part of our holidays 😂 spoiled by years of the Disney dining plan. Wondering how it will all pan out next year at Disney in terms of food, not sure the dining credits and $200 voucher will cover it. Will need to find some cheaper options I think.
What did you book for Disney next year?
Old 26 Jul 21, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
It is lovely to look at.

Food is very much a part of our holidays 😂 spoiled by years of the Disney dining plan. Wondering how it will all pan out next year at Disney in terms of food, not sure the dining credits and $200 voucher will cover it. Will need to find some cheaper options I think.
What did you book for Disney next year?
We ended up booking Pop Resort originally but when they released POFQ I changed hotels! We like to eat offsite so will do a mix of on and off sight dining, might make our dining ‘money’ will go a bit further. I bet you have all the tips and tricks, being the experienced Dining Planner that you are. Xx
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 21, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Originally Posted by Sparksy72 View Post
We ended up booking Pop Resort originally but when they released POFQ I changed hotels! We like to eat offsite so will do a mix of on and off sight dining, might make our dining ‘money’ will go a bit further. I bet you have all the tips and tricks, being the experienced Dining Planner that you are. Xx
We have POFQ booked as well for 8 nights.
😂😂😂No expert at all, I was telling DH I’ve lost all my knowledge. While on school holidays with nothing else to do I’ve been creating lists of eating options for qs and snacks with items and prices and been researching table service places with a good choice of mains below a certain price. I’m a saddo for a list! They’ll need updated before we go. Happy to share once they are done if you too are a saddo😂
Old 27 Jul 21, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
We have POFQ booked as well for 8 nights.
😂😂😂No expert at all, I was telling DH I’ve lost all my knowledge. While on school holidays with nothing else to do I’ve been creating lists of eating options for qs and snacks with items and prices and been researching table service places with a good choice of mains below a certain price. I’m a saddo for a list! They’ll need updated before we go. Happy to share once they are done if you too are a saddo😂
Sounds perfect! Xx