Notices

Old 9 Nov 20, 12:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

Things can only get better now April 2022 - will we make it to Disney?

Now updated below. August flights were cancelled

The Cast
Me (Kirsten), Jason, Isla (13) and Dylan (will be 11) along with my brother and his three kids (hopefully). This is my clan:

My brother and I went with our parents in 1990, staying in a Holiday Inn which we're sure was next to a prison? Still magical - MGM Studios had just opened - Teenage Mutant Turtles were doing meet and greets. We all went in 2017, staying in Watersong, except my youngest nephew who was too tiny for the flight. My clan went again in 2018 (funny how those once in a lifetime trips become annual events) staying in a studio in OKW for 2 weeks - amazing. In 2019 we did a cheeky Universal only trip. 2020 we had loads of plans didn't everyone!

The Plan
We've booked a fly drive with BA for 5/8-20/8. now moved to 9/4 - 22/4/22Paid deposit - we can move the booking or get a voucher for it.

No idea if it'll be this type of plane but doesn't it look pretty. I don't really enjoy flying, but I love the idea of it - so romantic.
Thinking we'll do airport hotel on 5/8

Always thought the Hyatt MCO looks really glam - not booked yet though.
6/8-13/8 1 bed villa at OKW

This is booked and can be cancelled for a refund a week before we go.

Then we're planning a couple of nights at HRH and 5 nights in Naples. No hurry to book these.

Everything now crossed for the world returning to normal early next year. A friend said she spoke to a scientist last week who was sure that a vaccine would be available by Christmas and they'd be doing face to face meetings by April next year... Fingers and toes crossed.

Edited at 09:33 AM. Reason: covid..
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 20, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

Some updates! Still not booked the airport hotel but I think we have decided that we will spend the first night at the MCO Hyatt - our flight gets in at 17:55 so it's going to be really late before we clear customs and get anywhere and there's always the possibility of being delayed (we have such bad luck with transatlantic delays - think we've probably been delayed on 40% of flights). The appeal of not having to travel anywhere further and the look of that rooftop pool. Going to wait a little while and see if the cost of rooms drops at all.

We have booked Hard Rock Hotel!

£15 deposit at booking.com only - but very excited to have a couple of nights here in the plan.

J is spending a lot of time looking at places in Naples for the last few days. He is back at work (for the first time since the end of March) in a new job next month which might seriously cut into his browsing holidays time.
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 20, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

Dilemma - do we change Disney Hotel

I forgot to say - we now have a little Disney dilemma - we have book OKW, but we originally (pre-covid) wanted to go to Yacht Club - we were planning on dining plan and felt that access to Broadwalk and Epcot would be great. Without park-hopping or DDP OKW seemed to make much more sense, we've got the kitchen and are close to Disney Springs. Now that park-hopping is back is OKW still the best deal?

We've only stayed on site once before and we did OKW then and really liked it. Space or location? Disney Springs or Epcot?
Old 16 Jan 21, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Lots of good plans there and I’m looking forward to reading more 👍
Old 27 Jun 21, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

hoping for plan A, cooking up B, C and D as well

Thought I'd do a little update. Reading back my original post it feels like a lifetime ago - before the vaccines, was that only 7 months ago?

So since my last post BA have changed both our flights, still LGW-MCO, still (at time of writing) 5th Aug-20th, but both a couple of hours earlier. I presume they've cut down to 1 a day?

I'm a very optimistic person - I'm still hoping we'll fly! But obviously, there's a definite chance that our holiday will be delayed.

We had assumed that the best course of action would be to move the flights we have to later in the month or to another school holiday, but a dibber mentioned somewhere that flights to Miami are going daily, while MCO are being cancelled 5 weeks ahead of the flight date, going to Miami leaves the possiblity that in those 5 weeks, if the travel advice changes we could go. Tempting.

Anyway other plans. Still sticking with OKW, but dropping Naples in favour of more time in Orlando. Planning to do Malls, eating out on iDrive, spending too much in Publix. Looking at Lake Buena Vista Spa and Resort.

Plan B is to move it all to Easter (although I'm impatient and haven't ruled out Christmas, how busy it will be is my dilemma) and book in some stuff with the kids over the summer holiday in the UK instead. We haven't done Alton Towers before and the Woodland Cabins there look nice.

Reckon they look a bit like the Efteling village places.

I'm a sucker for some whimsy.

A bit of holiday planning is a welcome distraction from the general chaos that is living through the pandemic. Jason is once again job hunting, I'm currently avoiding writing an essay due in next weekend, finding concentrating on anything at the moment a huge challenge. Dylan's moving up to secondary transition visits have been postponed and a bubble burst at Isla's school last week. We've definitely had worse weeks, but it's all still a long way from normal isn't it?

I think the holiday has come to represent putting the pandemic behind us and moving on with our lives and I'm sure we aren't alone in that or alone in getting quite impatient now to get to that point.

Old 3 Jul 21, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

Jason starts a great new job on Monday. Flights out cancelled this morning. England won this evening.

It's a roller coaster isn't it!

Debating what to do, postpone a week, not many Disney onsite options, seems a long shot flights won't just be cancelled.
February, Christmas, October or Easter. All the expensive options are on the table - the joys of a teaching career.

Anyone got a crystal ball out there?
Old 21 Jul 21, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

Trip plan V1.2

So BA cancelled our flight out, but after hours of waiting on the phone and chatbot they agreed to move us to the Easter holidays. Initially they tried to charge my brother an extra £7k, but thankfully changed their minds and honored the flights! Yay for BA.

We have reduced the car hire down to just the last 5 days - it is so expensive and who wants to drive while you're on site anyway? All adults on the trip enjoy a bevvie or 2 while on our holidays and Lyft were so easy to order on our last trip. 9 days less car hire is set to cost £100 more!.

OKW not available, thought about renting dvc, but seems risky until we know we'll be able to travel. So have booked the MCO Hyatt for night 1, Beach club for nights 2-6 and not got any further than that.

Oh and we did book Alton Towers!
Old 22 Jul 21, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Sorry your August holiday was cancelled. Sounds like you’ve got a good plan in place for Easter.
Old 22 Jul 21, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I'm sorry to read you're cancelled for August this year. I was really hoping some of the later August travellers would get to go.

Sounds like you've already got a good plan going on for Easter though! A shame about OKW...We were there in summer 2018 too! I bet we were swimming in the pool or on a bus at the same time! LOL.

I'm going to try and book up dvc for next August. But I don't want to book too far in advance until there is more certainty that we can travel. I've got 2 vouchers with David's DVC as I had 2 DVC bookings with them for last summer. Fortunately I've still got 2 more years to use them.

I hope you have a lovely summer and enjoy Alton Towers. I've got one more day of school, well a half day tomorrow. Then it's cocktail o'clock for me.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 21, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Sounds like you have everything under control. Virgin swapped our flights to Easter too from this summer. Currently only got the flights booked but have a fortune in BA vouchers to use when I pluck up the courage to use them. Think I’ll leave it a few months to see how things pan out. I’ve also looked into DVC rental so that’s an option. It’s obviously more expensive at Easter with no Disney offers so going to have to think outside the box.

Kat
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List