Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 30 May 21, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

Southern California - 2019 7 San Diego Trolley Tour and Baseball

I’ve been an absolute failure with this trip report and nearly 2 years on I can’t find my trip notes. So … I’m going to continue with some photos and things I remember. Sorry the next entries will be very brief, but I hope you enjoy the photos.

Southern California - 2019 7 San Diego Trolley Tour and Baseball

After breakfast at our hotel (nice selection of food but a bit of a queue each morning) we decided to take one of the hop-on-hop-off trolley tours.

We made the short walk to the kiosk at Seaport Village to buy our tickets.

We found this quite an easy way to get around the city and get our bearings. We only got off twice but didn’t have to wait too long for the next bus each time.

We really didn’t know how to tip the driver as we had 3 different buses each with a different driver. In hindsight we should just have left a dollar or two each time we hopped off – instead, in our confusion, we did the British thing and didn’t tip at all (from this public confession you can tell I still feel bad about it 2 years later!)

First we crossed the Coronado Bridge and alighted at a rather familiar building. As most people know, the Hotel Coronado was some of the inspiration for the Grand Floridian. It certainly did seem familiar wandering around.

I was surprised how dark it was inside as I expected it to be all white, cream and gold like at GF!
We returned to the trolley stop and had about a 15 minute wait for the next trolley.

The ride then took us to Balboa Park. We saw the statue of El Cid but stayed on the trolley as we were planning a day here later in the week.

We next got off at the Old Town. This was a terminus stop so everyone had to get off anyway.

We enjoyed the shops and then ventured further in to see the reconstructed buildings and exhibits.

It was a very interesting stop

There was a small theatre company (2 or 3 people) performing a show which was very good.

We stayed about 2 hours before getting a trolley along the seafront and back into town. We stayed on for a couple of stops past our starting point and then went off in search of a late lunch.

We highly amused a local by buying lunch at Earl of Sandwich.

We then walked back to our hotel via a supermarket for snacks and spotted the Top Gun bar that our trolley guide had pointed out earlier.

We had a rest before venuring out to the Baseball game at Petco Park. It was about a 15 minute walk.

We had decent seats. We’d got there early to enjoy the build up to the game which we really enjoyed. We kept ourselves fuelled with pizza, fries and tacos (it was Tuesday after all.)

Sadly the Padres lost the game but it was a great evening.
We walked back (I'm not sure if this was a safe idea or not, but I felt safe.)

Edited at 03:48 PM.
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List