Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 21 Jun 21, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
lcm23
Very Serious Dibber

Visitor Toll Pass

Anyone used one of these or an alternative? Not sure if this is a better option than what can be obtained via Hertz or indeed if Hertz offer an alternative. Our situation is we will collect car at Orlando airport on arrival but will only have car for 5 days and drop off at disney. Our return flight is from Orlando so can return the visitor toll pass on our return but just unsure what the best option is.
lcm23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 21, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

I think VTP is the best option, I used it for 30 days with a Hertz rental back in July '19. It's definitely the cheapest option. Just set your trip end date as your airport departure day and don't leave the tag in the car
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 21, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
The big advantage of the VTP is that (unlike any of the car hire compay schemes) it is totally admin fee free. Also some of the tolls are cheaper than the cash price or the cost through the Sunpass schemes.

Have you seen the long chat here?

https://DIBB.in/14982359

This is the Hertz Sunpass scheme

sunpass/en/tolls/rentalVehicles.shtml

Mick
Old 22 Jun 21, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post
aprilshack
Imagineer

Can't remember if I asked but how do I make sure to opt out of the one that comes with the car and just use the vtp one?
aprilshack is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
VTP was really easy, and cheap on our last trip. Highly recommend getting one. Our in-car toll pass had a switch on it so we just made sure it was switched off
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by aprilshack View Post
Can't remember if I asked but how do I make sure to opt out of the one that comes with the car and just use the vtp one?
It was discussed in the massive thread that I linked above but to be truthful I don't know.

The FAQs on the VTP site suggest that you should decline the car hire toll scheme. Every hire car in Florida has Sunpass automatically enabled as soon as you drive through a toll plaza. Most times I hire Alamo and go straight to the garage and never speak to a soul until I get to the barrier - I've certainly never been asked about Sunpass schemes. Some like Dollar however are very different and you can be locked into a very expensive scheme if you don't opt out.

I was not double billed by VTP and Alamo when I used it but I certainly didn't opt out of anything. I guess that the technology of the VTP overrides the Sunpass.

That's all I can help with I'm afraid.

Mick
Old 22 Jun 21, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
PS to the above

I was hoping that somewhere in my big VTP thread that someone had used it who had booked through Dollar and whether they had to "decline" their Sunpass scheme before using VTP.

Alamo and Avis automatically enable Sunpass when you drive through a plaza anyway and it seems that they don't need to be declined - VTP will charge your CC but the Sunpass won't. It would be interesting to hear from Dollar, Hertz etc customers who used the VTP.

Mick
Old 22 Jun 21, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
coinneach
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
PS to the above

I was hoping that somewhere in my big VTP thread that someone had used it who had booked through Dollar and whether they had to "decline" their Sunpass scheme before using VTP.

Alamo and Avis automatically enable Sunpass when you drive through a plaza anyway and it seems that they don't need to be declined - VTP will charge your CC but the Sunpass won't. It would be interesting to hear from Dollar, Hertz etc customers who used the VTP.

Mick

Im sure that the original VTP thread back in 2019 said that the VTP tag overrides all the car hire companies systems?
Like you, we also used Alamo in 2019 and no issues at all.
coinneach is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

I used hertz in 2019 and never informed them I was using VTP. I had no issues at all.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by coinneach View Post
Im sure that the original VTP thread back in 2019 said that the VTP tag overrides all the car hire companies systems?
Like you, we also used Alamo in 2019 and no issues at all.
Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba View Post
I used hertz in 2019 and never informed them I was using VTP. I had no issues at all.
I think the VTP web site is creating unnecessary confusion and uncertainty here in their FAQs by saying :-

If you are using Visitor Toll Pass™, you need to be sure to decline the rental car company’s toll program.

If not, you could be double-billed for tolls incurred.

It seems that trustworthy DIBB anecdotal evidence suggests that you won't be double dipped even if you don't specifically decline Avis, Alamo or Hertz but Dollar's Sunpass wording still concerns me

sunpass/en/tolls/rentalVehicles.shtml

Any Dibbers who were with Dollar who used the VTP? What did you do?

Mick