Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 14 Jul 21, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
PumpkinKing
Trying for More Ears

Question Car or No Car ? AoA May 2022

Hi all,

We have FINALY rebooked for May 2022, two of us at AoA for 11 nights, Disney & Universal parks are the focus, plus a day at Kennedy Space Centre.

For the sake of this conversation, lets assume rental prices do return to sensible and I'm happy to pay for parking at AoA.

My GF would be quite happy without a car, but I love driving on holiday if I can, especially something big and American, so I'm exploring the option. Ideally a Pickup or Tahoe depending on how prices drop to over the coming months. For now, Andy at DFCH has quoted a great price for a Standard SUV - thanks Andy!

I'm sure we will make use of the skyliner links from AoA, so I'm wondering if I'd be a total fool hiring a car for the whole trip, even though I enjoy driving?

Is there any real reason / advantage to driving to any of the parks? Is it a quicker / more convenient journey to any parks compared with the other taxi / bus transport options? Will I just be sat in traffic the whole time wishing we'd taken the bus?

Plan B is of course to just hire something fun for a couple of days to cover the trip to Kennedy.

Thanks in advance for peoples thoughts & experiences!

Best,
PK
Old 14 Jul 21, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

I don't drive... but staying at AoA, I'd say the only Disney park that might have a driving advantage would be AK. Epcot and HS have the Skyliner, and MK is better on the bus (IMO) since it goes direct to the gates instead of TTC then transfer. And possibly Disney Springs would be better by car if you're shoppers, instead of lugging things back on the bus.

I would say Plan B is the way to go, part-hire for the Universal and KSC days. And not having the car the whole time potentially opens up the budget for an upgrade.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 21, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
DonkeyCentreArf
Very Serious Dibber

By the time you factor in transport to and from the airport as DME will be gone, plus the days you need it for US and KSC, plus any other offsite trips - for example heading to the Malls or Outlets for some retail therapy - it may well be that there isn't as greater saving so you might as well take the car for the whole holiday as a convenience.

Parking charges at resorts has made that a less viable option than before but personally, I also enjoy driving out there and find the car much less hassle than waiting for buses and love being able to break out of the 'bubble' for an hour or two and visit different places.
1990 - Quality Inn International - iDrive / 1996 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 1997 - Dixie Landings / 1999 - All Star Sports / 2002 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 2003 - DLP / 2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter / 2008 - Doubletree Universal / 2009 - Saratoga Springs / 2011 - Bonnet Creek Resort & Vero Beach / 2014 - Bonnet Creek Resort / Oct 2021 - Rescheduled / Feb 2022 - Rescheduled / Oct 2022 HRH & OKW
DonkeyCentreArf is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 21, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
adz_jh
Proud to wear my Ears

I'd personally never do Orlando without a car, just so much to see and do away from the parks, great restaurants with better food and cheaper off site etc for start... By the time you've paid to get to and from the airport, paid to get to universal/SeaWorld if your doing them, plus any shopping trips etc etc...then you might just as well of got a car.
adz_jh is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 21, 06:31 AM  
Link to this Post
malt1977
Apprentice Imagineer

We wouldn’t go without a car now, it just gives you so much more flexibility to do what you want when you want, that and no waiting around for busses etc.
malt1977 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 21, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
PumpkinKing
Trying for More Ears

Thanks folks, good to hear your thoughts!

I did NOT know about DME ending… that’s sad for people who will have one less budget-friendly travel option included in the price.

Well, I’ll keep the car booked with DFCH and see how prices drop, sounds like it’ll be worth it for the flexibility.

Thanks again!

Edited at 09:19 AM.
PumpkinKing is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List