Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 26 Sep 17, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

Question How long should it take?

last term ds was referred to the school senco for possible asd and I was told they would contact me. Roll on to the new term and he's really been struggling with all the changes and a nightmare to live with. He tries so hard to keep it together at school that he's having 1hr + meltdowns when he gets home. Today I had a chat with his teacher to discuss some of my concerns which basically was a waste of time as they didn't really seem interested in what I was saying and kept trying to reassure me that all the kids are finding it hard.
I did say I hadn't heard back from the senco yet and was told that while they'd been told that ds may need extra support nothing is being done yet and that I won't hear back from the senco till the end of the year as at this age they need to use 2 years worth of observations before they can decide if they need further investigation surely that can't be right?

I don't think I can cope with another year of ds behaviour if things continue like they are. I really don't know what to do
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Sorry to hear your DS is struggling. Unfortunately it can take ages to actually get support in place. Keep on at the education dept and Senco with your concerns so they dont get forgotten about. X i hope something is sorted out soon. X
Old 27 Sep 17, 07:30 AM  
Link to this Post
amandajane10
Imagineer

amandajane10's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Are you under a Paediatrician as well. They are the ones who will decide if further investigations need doing. You can also request an educational Phy to see your child at school. I have never heard of a 2 year wait to see a Senco. I have allways had meetings pretty much straight away. I have 2 kids with ASD so if you have any questions please ask.
Villa Holiday May 2018
Planning Easter 2020
amandajane10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 17, 08:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Does he have any sort of plan, IEP or similar in writing from when it was decided he might need extra help?everything is so overstretched at the moment, it has always been a battle to get support in main stream schools, it will be an uphill struggle, but keep with it and eventually support will be put in place.

Try and make appointment with Senco for as soon as possible and make sure you are kept on the radar as needing help. It is their job to help support your child.
Old 11 Oct 17, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

I spoke to the school last week and apparently the senco hasn't even looked at his paperwork yet and has said will get round to it in the next few weeks I know they are busy people but its been nearly 5 months
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List