Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 25 Sep 17, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
fillmore
Trying for More Ears

From Chicago to LA by car and train - Day 6 - Route 66

Firstly, apologies for lack of photos - they are still on DH's phone. I'll edit the post later and add them in!

We'd all been looking forward to today as so much of Cars (DS's favourite film when he was a toddler) was inspired by Route 66. I very healthily went to the gym for a bit then after breakfast we set off.

We had decided to take the interstate to Kingsman then drive back to Seligman on Route 66. The interstate was long with not much to look at but we finally arrived in Kingsman and went to Mr D'z diner. We liked this place, great decor and good food which I thought was really reasonably priced especially given the quality. One of the other clients realised I was British and started chatting to me. I think he may have been 'famous' as we saw his photo in the Route 66 museum later on that day - I am rubbish with recognising actors in films so he was probably really obviously famous! It was good talking to him though, whoever he was!

Full of food, we rolled out of the diner and crossed the street to the Route 66 museum. They had models of pioneers crossing the country with extracts from Grapes of Wrath - which I must get round to reading. At the back was an electric vehicle exhibition as well which DH and DS spent a bit of time looking at. We bought a few souvenirs and I splashed out on a gorgeous book called 'The Art of Cars' which shows the artwork and sketches for the film.

Without me realising, the hemline of my shorts had been rubbing on a small bite which was getting more and more aggravated. Then I noticed more bites on my arms too! We tried to find a pharmacy to get some bite cream but had no luck. I had nothing with me, having not expected to get bitten in a desert so had to put up with it.

We drove out of Kingman and headed out on Route 66. Our first stop was Hackberry General Store. This was a great place, lots of souvenirs and original cars parked outside. DS and I shared a Peppermint Pattie and a Black Cherry soda.

Back on the road and this time our destination was Seligman. At Seligman I managed to find some cortisone cream which was a relief, but shortlived. We went to Delgadillo's Snow Cap for ice cream and much to DS's amusement the lady got me with all the gags. We went for a wander around all the old cars, spotting the ones which were like the Cars characters.

I was feeling pretty rough by this point so instead of driving all the way back to Flagstaff on Route 66 we took the interstate. We saw the Burma Shave signs which they really should have over here! We saw loads of storms on the way back in the distance but didn't get caught out by many. We called in at a Walmart to get some antihistamines - that made me feel even worse as it wasn't like my beloved Target!

Back home we picked up sandwiches from a cafe near our accomodation and I went to sleep asap - feeling very rough and very sorry for myself

Tomorrow - first experience of US health system and the drive to the Grand Canyon.
fillmore is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 17, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post

Mmm! Cortisone cream is usually good on insect bites. Sounds like you are having it rough. Interested to see what the problem is and whether you get it sorted. Not feeling well on vacation is no fun especially on Route 66.

Edited at 10:59 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Oh no - never fun to feel sick on holiday. I hope you managed to find a solution to the bites!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List