Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 26 Sep 17, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Maxymoo
Excited about Disney

sapphire falls or cabana bay?

we are off in under 2 weeks to AKL just doing Disney but I am thinking of doing a sneaky 1 week trip just myself and youngest (ds9) in feb and just doing universal and maybe discovery cove. We have stayed twice in RPR and loved it but this will be a budget trip so looking for either of the above? which would you pick? Also will weather be warm enough to swim and do DC in feb- 17th for 1 week

Thanks
Maxymoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
tracey1302
Imagineer

tracey1302's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We went to Sapphire Falls for our honeymoon in May and loved it (see my trip report). That's not to say it's a very 'adult' resort, it's got a massive pool, a big slide and fantastic facilities for kids. It also has the amazing water taxi to Citywalk which is a massive bonus! It's got a really relaxed and tropical vibe which really appealed to us (think Bob Marley) and a pina colada! Oh and it has a fruit infused water station round the pool! I imagine Sapphire Falls will be a lot closer to RPR in terms of its general ambiance.

Our room at Sapphire Falls was stunning. We got a massive shower (although they do have rooms with a bath over shower) there's loads of USB charging ports and a HUGE television. Plus the bed is literally the comfiest bed I have ever slept on in a hotel EVER.

From what I can gather, Cabana Bay is a lot more family friendly, with two massive pools and a lazy river, a food court, a bowling alley (does it have a bowling alley or did I make that up?) so that might be better for your daughter? I guess it depends what kind of a holiday you want! Cabana Bay doesn't have the water taxi, but it is marginally cheaper than Sapphire Falls.

Both these hotels have the early opening... so I think it really depends what sort of vibe you're wanting from your hotel? Sapphire Falls is tropical and relaxed, Cabana Bay is retro and fun. You can't go wrong with any of the hotels at Universal though, as you know!
tracey1302 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 17, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Mobile

Cabana with a 9 year old. It’s my daughter’s fave hotel. She has been age 8,9 and 10 perfect for that age. Coke freestyle refill mugs, bowling, lazy river, movies by pool.
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 17, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

CBBR with a 9yr old. This hotel is so much fun, and colorful

Sapphire is bland, pool is boring (unless your idea of pool fun is to sit on your botton with water up to your waist while sipping a cocktail. Fair enough) Food options are so boring that so many people from SF crossed the road to go eat at CBBR that they had to put a sign up warning guests not to cross the busy road to get to CBBR but take the garden walk detour for safety
this last item alone should be enough to give you a clear picture...

CBBR hands down, especially with kids.
we've spent 3 weeks there last month and will go again for 2 weeks next may, and then 3 more weeks next august (@Dixonsontour : looks like we always go at the same time :p )

Edited at 12:44 PM.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 17, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
CBBR with a 9yr old. This hotel is so much fun, and colorful

Sapphire is bland, pool is boring (unless your idea of pool fun is to sit on your botton with water up to your waist while sipping a cocktail. Fair enough) Food options are so boring that so many people from SF crossed the road to go eat at CBBR that they had to put a sign up warning guests not to cross the busy road to get to CBBR but take the garden walk detour for safety
this last item alone should be enough to give you a clear picture...

CBBR hands down, especially with kids.
we've spent 3 weeks there last month and will go again for 2 weeks next may, and then 3 more weeks next august (@Dixonsontour : looks like we always go at the same time :p )

I've actually just booked Adventura as price was right and brand new appeals to me but we will go over to Cabana at some point.

We stayed at RPR this time. It was nice but not Cabana bay.

I'm trying to see if I can fit in a trip before August (AP's to be used!) and if we do it will be Cabana.
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 17, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Aventura seems tempting too

but 2 things put us off.

- we're afraid we might miss the space of the family suite we book at CBBR
- we will check in on Aug. 3rd so just a couple of days after opening, and there is always a chance things need much ironing out just after opening day. And we've had more than our share of accomodation issues to take the risk.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 17, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
Aventura seems tempting too

but 2 things put us off.

- we're afraid we might miss the space of the family suite we book at CBBR
- we will check in on Aug. 3rd so just a couple of days after opening, and there is always a chance things need much ironing out just after opening day. And we've had more than our share of accomodation issues to take the risk.
Yes I don’t blame you. We are not there until 17th. We would only be standard room at cabana but for a long stay I can definitely see appeal of more space.
Old 29 Sep 17, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Maxymoo
Excited about Disney

Thanks for the replies- I think I fancy sitting in the pool at SF drinking cocktails but overall cabana bay would probably suit ds9 a bit better so swaying towards there. CAn you walk to SF and get the boat to city walk/universal or would that be too much of a faff- we really enjoyed the boat from RPR
Maxymoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 17, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Maxymoo View Post
CAn you walk to SF and get the boat to city walk/universal or would that be too much of a faff- we really enjoyed the boat from RPR
yes, you can
but don't cross the road. Use the garden walk (entry is on the Courtyard side of CBBR) and you'll be at SF in under 10 minutes.
from there, you can either take the boat at SF, or continue walking to RPR (also boat there) and on to citywalk, your choice

there is also a complimentary shuttle, that takes you to Citywalk (takes 5 minutes riding time)
we never had to wait for more than 5 minutes for the shuttle to pick us up
the only thing is that it drops you off at the bus loop (big security checkpoint you get through when you're parked at citywalk) and then you have to take the moving walkway that gets you to Citywalk where bubba gump is .