Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 26 Sep 17, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

I am trained in forgery detection for my previous job and even then things change so much and so fast that its hard to keep up. The book that the restaurant had would be out of date almost as soon as its published.
A photocopy of a page is proof of nothing at all. There are no security features such as holograms etcs visible for easily visual check of validity. There is no valid reason for a photocopy to be better than a document.
I would lay a pound to a penny that in here there are quite a number of variations of driving licence and passport all issued by UK Government and all legitimate. My point is that ID is ID and no one will be familiar with all that they may be presented in a place like Orlando where multiple nationalities will be present so in that case one form should be as easily accepted as another as long as it is issued by the Government of the country of the person and contains a picture and the date of birth.

But they have their rules and if we want to go we should abide by them despite them being illogical when you follow through to their conclusion. :-)
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryL
Imagineer

I've got 2 passports so I'm comfortable carrying one around as ID for those occasions when I'm lucky enough to be asked.
I currently travel on a UK passport and my Irish one is my drinking passport.
BarryL is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Ariel88
slightly serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by sparklegirl View Post
I am trained in forgery detection for my previous job and even then things change so much and so fast that its hard to keep up. The book that the restaurant had would be out of date almost as soon as its published.
A photocopy of a page is proof of nothing at all. There are no security features such as holograms etcs visible for easily visual check of validity. There is no valid reason for a photocopy to be better than a document.
I would lay a pound to a penny that in here there are quite a number of variations of driving licence and passport all issued by UK Government and all legitimate. My point is that ID is ID and no one will be familiar with all that they may be presented in a place like Orlando where multiple nationalities will be present so in that case one form should be as easily accepted as another as long as it is issued by the Government of the country of the person and contains a picture and the date of birth.

But they have their rules and if we want to go we should abide by them despite them being illogical when you follow through to their conclusion. :-)
You put this much more eloquently than I ever could.

The rule doesn't make sense but I never said I don't follow it! I have always taken a photocopy of my passport on holiday with me anyway before Disney changed the rule a few years back. I emailed at the time to stress how I was unhappy with carrying around my passport in the parks and they said a photocopy plus driving licence was sufficient. Since I've heard they've relaxed this somewhat as they have been known to accept a photocopy without any other form of ID. It doesn't make sense to me at all, but who am I to complain!
Ariel88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by toonarmani View Post
I got ID'd by a kid who looked to be about 16 and the guy on the till next to us said to him "are you serious?" .. made me chuckle and the poor lad just put his head down and served me

Needless to say I didn't show any.
It may have been like the UK, I believe her you have to be 18yrs to sell alcohol. The assistant has to notify another staff member to acknowledge the sale. At least that's what it was like when DS worked in retail.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Mental Minnie
VIP Dibber

I have got laminated copies of our passports. Do you think these would be acceptable. I don't drive so don't have a licence. I am on the wrong side of 40, so hopefully will be ok.
Old 26 Sep 17, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
The 2 Minnies
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Miss_Shell View Post
Oh damn - thanks for the heads up! Is a photo copy OK then?
We were there last week with our 30yr old DD and she was asked for ID and they wouldn’t take her driving licence. We were told you could have a photocopy of your passport or even a photo of it on your phone. She used the photo on her phone several times without any problem.

Seems a little silly that they won’t take an actual driving licence but will take a photo of a passport on a phone which could more easily be tampered with
The 2 Minnies is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
The 2 Minnies
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by dismadbrit View Post
I have never showed my passport in all the years of going just my DL and it has always been accepted, maybe you were unlucky.
Apparently it’s part of the training programme for new starters. I did find it was a bit hit and miss as to whether she got asked at all or not! It was usually the really young staff who asked for ID.
The 2 Minnies is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
disneywiseowl
VIP Dibber

disneywiseowl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by coggie View Post
I'm well past the age of being ID'd for alcohol so no issue for me.

However in all the years I've been going to WDW I've never been asked who the drinks were for ( or their ID ) when I've bought from kiosks at Epcot and most times I was buying three alcoholic drinks at a time... only time I was asked was at the kiosk that sold beer in Marketplace at what was Downtown Disney when I ordered two beers and had to produce two separate IDs ( which I used our driving licences without any problems)
Some places are even stricter. I wasn't allowed to enter a bar in Memphis because I didn't have i.d.
I'm 67 & use a walking stick. 😂
disneywiseowl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryL
Imagineer

Originally Posted by The 2 Minnies View Post
We were there last week with our 30yr old DD and she was asked for ID and they wouldn’t take her driving licence. We were told you could have a photocopy of your passport or even a photo of it on your phone. She used the photo on her phone several times without any problem.

Seems a little silly that they won’t take an actual driving licence but will take a photo of a passport on a phone which could more easily be tampered with
Disney's own guidelines allow copy of passport only when presented with another form of govt issued ID

disneyworld.disney.go/fa...d-for-alcohol/

It's the implementation of this that seems to be inconsistent
BarryL is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
dismadbrit
Imagineer

dismadbrit's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13
Originally Posted by The 2 Minnies View Post
Apparently it’s part of the training programme for new starters. I did find it was a bit hit and miss as to whether she got asked at all or not! It was usually the really young staff who asked for ID.
Last year I wrote to Disney and had two separate replies both stating the same thing really.

At the time neither of my DiL's had a DL and we were not prepared to carry around real passports, so it would have to be a photo copy or photo on a phone as their only form of ID.
Both replies stated that a photo copy of their passport was sufficient and there was no need for a DL to back it up.
One reply did say that if they were refused to ask for the shift supervisor so yes I think it's the younger less experienced that do ask.
Bearing in mind they may think it to difficult for the younger staff to decipher the DOB as to them it's backwards