Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 3 Nov 09, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post

We've just come back from an anniversary trip on the Disney Magic (Western Caribbean). We had a ball. Read days 8 to 15 in our vacation report below. Be sure to let them know you are celebrating your anniversary. We got free nibbles, desserts, drinks, a decorated Stateroom door and all because of the anniversary. It's a trip of a lifetime and no cruise line, and I mean NO cruise line spoils you the way Disney do. The QM2 was a disappointment by comparison!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 09, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post

You don't have to go all out with formal evenings. A jacket and tie for a man and a nice dress for a lady are perfectly acceptable. We chose to go really formal but it really isn't necessary. If dining at palo - jacketsare expected for men with open neck shirt.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 09, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
fudgie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
We've just come back from an anniversary trip on the Disney Magic (Western Caribbean). We had a ball. Read days 8 to 15 in our vacation report below. Be sure to let them know you are celebrating your anniversary. We got free nibbles, desserts, drinks, a decorated Stateroom door and all because of the anniversary. It's a trip of a lifetime and no cruise line, and I mean NO cruise line spoils you the way Disney do. The QM2 was a disappointment by comparison!
I'm really glad to hear that you found the QM2 a disappointment -(well, not "glad" but you know what I mean!) as I'd wanted to go on it for the Southampton to NY crossing but DH wasn't keen as he will more than likely not be a great sailor and felt that an Atlantic crossing would be too long for our first cruising experience.

It's great to know that Disney looked after you so well for your anniversary - I've just been reading your trippie and it sounds like you had a really special time. I hope our trip is just as memorable.

Out of interest geoffa - is that your own kilt you're wearing for the formal evening or did you hire it out there? My DH is also a Scotsman and looks fantastic in a kilt but it's so heavy to carry a full outfit all that way for one or two nights - love, love love a man in a kilt though Yours is an unusual tartan too - which one is it?

fudgie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 09, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
joandwayne
VIP Dibber

joandwayne's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 20
Congratulations - bet you will have a great time.

AKL, Walt Disney World, July 2017, AKL, Walt Disney World, August 2016, Washington DC, California (Disney) and New York, August 2015, AKL, Walt Disney World, August 2014, West Coast USA and Disney Aulani, Hawaii, August 2013, Old Key West, Walt Disney World, Oct 2012, West Coast USA, Aug 2011, New York, April 2011, May 2009, Port Orleans, Walt Disney World, Oct 2010, Disney Cruise, May 2010, POP Century, Walt Disney World, Nov 2008, May 2007, Oct 2005, Kissimee Oct 2003, Oct 1990
joandwayne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 09, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
fudgie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ANGEL View Post
You'll have a fab time! We've always cruised as a couple and most times have been sat just with other couples, although last time we were sat with a couple and their 17 year old son. Having said that we rarely saw him as he was off with his freinds most of the time. He was a lovely lad btw!

Its up to you how much you dress up really. We like to dress up a bit but otherwise most people just dress fairly smartly as you say. What a lovely way to celebrate! Make sure you let them know you're celebrating!
Oh good - I sometimes feel that Disney aren't so hot on enforcing the dress code at some of the signature restaurants at WDW so it'll be nice to see people making a bit of an effort. Last time we went to Narcoossee's there was a man wearing a baseball cap which stayed firmly on his head throughout the meal..
fudgie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 09, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Leanne1977
Imagineer

Leanne1977's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by fudgie View Post
Thanks Leanne

How did you find the dining experience? Do you know whether as a couple without kids we'd be sitting with other couples rather than families? Not that I have a problem with kids at all (I'm just a big one myself ) but I do like adult conversation too.

And did you have to dress up more for meals or would you say that you'd dress as if you were eating at the likes of The Yachtsman or Cali Grill for example?

Questions, questions!
We had it noted on our booking that we would prefer to dine alone and although that can't be guaranteed, we were on a table for 4. Its not that I'm unsociable I just know it would be my luck to get the family from hell! My boys also eat better if its just us.

We only did a 3 night cruise so there was no formal night. But we dressed nicely each evening anyway. Certainly not dressed up but a nice dress for me and a polo shirt/shirt for DH and the boys.
We dined at Palo and I wore something similar to what I would wear at a signature restaurant. DH wore a smart shirt, black trousers and black shoes. He didn't wear a tie or jacket as thats just not him and I only spotted one man wearing a jacket and tie when we were dining. But everyone was smart in there, not a baseball cap in sight. Palo was excellent by the way, we were very impressed.

We really enjoyed the rotational dining, our servers were fab! We all enjoyed the food and its so nice not having to pay at the end of the meal!

WDW Villa Jul/Aug 2005
DLP SL Jan/Feb 2006, DCR Feb 2007, Cheyenne Feb 2008, NB Nov 2009, Ibis July 2010
WDW Pop Sept 2006
WDW ASM/HRH/POP Sept 2007 free DDP
WDW Regal Sun/SSR/CIAS May 2008
WDW CIAS/RPR/Cypress Pointe GV Aug 2008
WDW Highgate Park/AKV/BCV Dec 2008
WDW SSR/Pop May 2009
WDW RPR/BCV/BWV/VB/VWL/OKW/Kidani/DCL Jul/Aug 2009
WDW Dibb Villa/Regal Sun May 2010
WDW BCV/VB/DCL Oct/Nov 2010 Wedding trip!
WDW SSR/Dibb Villa/VB Oct 2011 1st wedding anniversary trip!
WDW OKW/VB/Peabody Aug 2013
Leanne1977 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 09, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Congratulations Fiona, you're sure to have the best time. Is it a 3 or 4 night you've booked and what cabin, do you know?

The only problem I've found with Disney cruises, and I'm sure others will back me up, is that once you've done one, you'll have to book another one etc! It's a lovely problem to have.

Don't forget that if you book another while you're onboard, you get a 10% discount and it's fully refundable if you choose to cancel it at a later point. Book with DCL whilst onboard, then transfer it to Dreams and get more on board credit. Have I convinced you yet?!

Have a great time.
Old 3 Nov 09, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
fudgie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Leanne1977 View Post
We had it noted on our booking that we would prefer to dine alone and although that can't be guaranteed, we were on a table for 4. Its not that I'm unsociable I just know it would be my luck to get the family from hell! My boys also eat better if its just us.

We only did a 3 night cruise so there was no formal night. But we dressed nicely each evening anyway. Certainly not dressed up but a nice dress for me and a polo shirt/shirt for DH and the boys.
We dined at Palo and I wore something similar to what I would wear at a signature restaurant. DH wore a smart shirt, black trousers and black shoes. He didn't wear a tie or jacket as thats just not him and I only spotted one man wearing a jacket and tie when we were dining. But everyone was smart in there, not a baseball cap in sight. Palo was excellent by the way, we were very impressed.

We really enjoyed the rotational dining, our servers were fab! We all enjoyed the food and its so nice not having to pay at the end of the meal!
I know what you mean about the family from hell. That's really what would concern me too - obnoxious adults are as unbearable as out of control, rowdy children

It's good to know that smartness is the norm for dining. We may be having an evening at V&A's when we get to WDW afterwards so DH would need a jacket for there but he'll be glad that it doesn't seem to be essential if we have a night at Palo which sounds very tempting

I love to get dressed up a bit in the evenings so this cruising sounds right up my street - or ocean...

Originally Posted by Bats View Post
Congratulations Fiona, you're sure to have the best time. Is it a 3 or 4 night you've booked and what cabin, do you know?

The only problem I've found with Disney cruises, and I'm sure others will back me up, is that once you've done one, you'll have to book another one etc! It's a lovely problem to have.

Don't forget that if you book another while you're onboard, you get a 10% discount and it's fully refundable if you choose to cancel it at a later point. Book with DCL whilst onboard, then transfer it to Dreams and get more on board credit. Have I convinced you yet?!

Have a great time.
Hi Bats

It's the 3 night we've gone for. DH isn't sure whether he'll be a very good sailor so we're testing the water so to speak! We're in cabin number 7622.

Thanks for the heads-up on the discount - if it's as addictive as WDW I've no doubt we'll be tempted to do it again... for my next big birthday in 2012 perhaps

After more trips to WDW than we care to remember, suddenly everything about next year's trip all seems very new and exciting now we're entering the world of the Disney Cruise.
Old 3 Nov 09, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread