Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 2 Aug 20, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Fitted at least 50 sets of TPLink ones for friends and family now and not one issue and always resolved the issue, especially for gamers.

Can't see why the Virgin ones would be any different as they won't manufacture them.

I would be going down the free route before spending any money.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 20, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Fitted at least 50 sets of TPLink ones for friends and family now and not one issue and always resolved the issue, especially for gamers.

Can't see why the Virgin ones would be any different as they won't manufacture them.

I would be going down the free route before spending any money.
I had my 500 meg broadband fitted. Virgin installed a powerline in the conservatory where I have a second TV box, and another that was a relay for the wireless signal. The wireless signal dropped to 10 meg (from 500) in some rooms of the house, even with this solution.

I would add I have been using Powerline adapters for donkey's years and have about 10 in drawers in the house. It was my go to solution before mesh. Powerlines have a place and you are correct to say may work for some- but for £150 why would you bother when a decent couple of Powerlines (if don't get free) will set you back £30+ and only resolve one issue, and not the wider issue of a good speed, low latency wireless network thoughout the house? Maybe having good speed internet throughout is more important to me than many but in this day and age Powerlines, repeaters etc are all a cobbled together imperfect solution- to save about £100.
Old 2 Aug 20, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

The purpose here isn't to extend the WiFi it's to plug an Xbox directly into it. That will have zero effect on the existing WiFi.

Again, let's not over think a simple solution to the identified problem.

If we were trying to solve a bigger issue then a mesh would be worth looking at. I don't disagree it is the most complete solution and run one myself but £150 is a lot for many people.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 20, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

If you can plug the x box in directly that’s your best bet. Virgins super hub 3 is very poor. Read all the reviews.
The thing everyone should do with poor WiFi is to turn the hub off for 2 minutes. Turn it back on. The box hub should automatically assign you a wife channel that is least being used in your area. There are loads of YouTube videos on changing virgins super hub channels and why you should do it. If that does not work contact virgin and complain. Tell them you want your connection in the exchange box in your road to be moved nearer the top of the connection later. A service engineer we know told us those with the Higher connections achieve better speeds. Whilst doing this ask them to upgrade your speed complimentary. Tell them the service is rubbish and you want to leave as they are not providing the service you are paying for. All above should improve your WiFi.
The best thing is to purchase a mesh kit such as tp link deco m5 or other equivalents .
These are great kits a bit pricey but do work. Simple you tube videos are available to set it up. Good luck.

Edited at 03:27 PM.
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 20, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Get powerline adapters.

Something like amazon/TP-Link-TL-.../dp/B07J652QRY

Allows you physically plug in the Xbox to the router and also not lose a socket at the same time. Removes any WiFi issues for that device.
This.

I use one in my Mancave in the garden(Poweline adapter plugged in next to router in lounge, Powerline adapter plugged in Mancave, Xbox ethernet cable to Powerline adapter in Mancave), works a treat, bonus that we also get excellent wifi coverage in the garden.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List