Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Oct 20, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
TSB have closed my branch

Bit hacked off today. After 40 years plus with TSB they have finally emailed to say branch is now permanently shut. It had been closed for past few months for distancing issues. My nearest branch is 18 miles away and the only one remaining in the whole of Scottish Borders.

Their app is useless in that you can't use it to pay in cheques. I know its time to move to a new bank but its not that simple. I have 2 current and 5 savings accounts. I need to keep one of the current accounts as its one of the extra ones and I have two holidays insured through it for next year which were book pre-covid and I'm not willing to lose the insurance coverage.

The email had two things in it which proved to be a joke. They stated that I can visit a section of their site which would list all the local people/organizations they spoke to about the closure. Its blank. There was also a local telephone number (I know it won't really be local) to call if I have any questions. The answer when called was they couldn't answer and that I should go to a branch to get answers!
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 20, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Ouch. It's getting harder and harder to find a local Branch and even more so if you live outside a City.

Hope you get a resolution.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 20, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
GoldenAvalanche
Imagineer

Oh no what a pain. Can you move the majority of your money/accounts to a different provider (there are some that are paying cash for doing so) and just keep the minimum you need to to keep your holidays insured? I appreciate those accounts usually have minimum monthly transfer requirements though!
GoldenAvalanche is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 20, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by GoldenAvalanche View Post
Oh no what a pain. Can you move the majority of your money/accounts to a different provider (there are some that are paying cash for doing so) and just keep the minimum you need to to keep your holidays insured? I appreciate those accounts usually have minimum monthly transfer requirements though!
Yes and I know the process is relatively easy. I won't get the bonus money as I did a dummy current account transfer around 7 banks a couple of years ago. Got must over £700 for basically doing nothing but won't be able to do it again!
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 20, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

You can do many of the TSB services with the Post Office. One of those is paying in cheques or cash.

postoffice/tsb-bank

First Direct are worth considering for personal accounts and do allow cheques via their mobile app. They also have the insurance side (holiday, mobile, vehicle). Also challenger banks like Starling as they are designed to do everything via apps.

Savings accounts I would look at which are offering the best rate at the time and just move them with the rate as things change. It is so easy to do these days you need not be loyal for such things.

Edited at 12:19 PM.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 20, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa-72
Imagineer

Lisa-72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Mobile

Let’s not forget about the staff who’ve probably lost their jobs too.
I would thoroughly recommend First Direct having been an ex HSBC customer and member of staff. FD are excellent.

Sssshhhh it was a secret, March 2010 Econo Lodge 1st Visit
Lisa-72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 20, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

I worked with TSB for a long time.
It was destroyed when it merged with Lloyds. When it seperated from Lloyds they were full of returning to being a local, friendly bank. Ha Ha.
Sabadell took over after I retired so wont comment.
Several of my ex-colleagues are losing their jobs - not a happy place to work.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 20, 06:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

It’s becoming more and more difficult to find a bank with local branches.
We are with Barclays and our branch about 5 miles away is only open 2 days a week now for 4 hours last time DH went it took almost 2 hours to get in.
We’ve since found out we can pay cheques and money in to our bank accounts in the post office in our village Spar which is good for us, is there an option for you to do something like this?
I honestly can’t see our local Barclays being open much longer
Old 17 Oct 20, 07:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Cherrypie
Imagineer

Mobile

Echo above about paying in cheques via post office - done it many times and it’s a useful service

The most magical place on earth
Cherrypie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 20, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Dinglebert View Post
Bit hacked off today. After 40 years plus with TSB they have finally emailed to say branch is now permanently shut. It had been closed for past few months for distancing issues. My nearest branch is 18 miles away and the only one remaining in the whole of Scottish Borders.

Their app is useless in that you can't use it to pay in cheques. I know its time to move to a new bank but its not that simple. I have 2 current and 5 savings accounts. I need to keep one of the current accounts as its one of the extra ones and I have two holidays insured through it for next year which were book pre-covid and I'm not willing to lose the insurance coverage.

The email had two things in it which proved to be a joke. They stated that I can visit a section of their site which would list all the local people/organizations they spoke to about the closure. Its blank. There was also a local telephone number (I know it won't really be local) to call if I have any questions. The answer when called was they couldn't answer and that I should go to a branch to get answers!
Hi why not use the post office you can pay in money and with draw money there. Just a idea save you moving banks ops did not read post by cherry pie
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List