Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 2 Dec 20, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Aer Lingus via Dublin to Canada

Anyone have any experience with Aer Lingus? Hoping for Newcastle via Dublin to Toronto. Thanks
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 20, 12:08 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Hi Jo
I've not flown that route but we have flown Aer Lingus and done pre clearance in Dublin twice now. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them as an airline. The staff are all really friendly, the food good, comfy seats and the seatback tv whilst it doesn't have a huge array of films was plenty for the duration of the flight.
The first time we went in 2017 we whizzed through immigration in 30 minutes but the last time in 2019 to San Fran we made it through by the skin of our teeth so definitely choose a connection with at least 2.5-3 hours and go straight through passport control once you arrive

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 20, 03:59 AM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Hi Jo
I've not flown that route but we have flown Aer Lingus and done pre clearance in Dublin twice now. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them as an airline. The staff are all really friendly, the food good, comfy seats and the seatback tv whilst it doesn't have a huge array of films was plenty for the duration of the flight.
The first time we went in 2017 we whizzed through immigration in 30 minutes but the last time in 2019 to San Fran we made it through by the skin of our teeth so definitely choose a connection with at least 2.5-3 hours and go straight through passport control once you arrive
Hi again,and thank you for the reply. It was information about the airline that I was after,so that’s good to know.Not ever used or heard anything about them. If the seats are comfy that’s a great plus. We are coming home for a vacation after 11 long years here in Canada. Just hope it happens... has to be June as it’s my nieces wedding. We will have to fly from here on PEI to Toronto, then on to Dublin then Newcastle. Hoping to not travel through LHR. Have taken note about leaving enough time for connections. Trying to decide whether or not just to book and hope travel is ok by then. Thanks for your advice.
Did you decide about the car and Philly/DC yet?
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 20, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by JoS View Post
Hi again,and thank you for the reply. It was information about the airline that I was after,so that’s good to know.Not ever used or heard anything about them. If the seats are comfy that’s a great plus. We are coming home for a vacation after 11 long years here in Canada. Just hope it happens... has to be June as it’s my nieces wedding. We will have to fly from here on PEI to Toronto, then on to Dublin then Newcastle. Hoping to not travel through LHR. Have taken note about leaving enough time for connections. Trying to decide whether or not just to book and hope travel is ok by then. Thanks for your advice.
Did you decide about the car and Philly/DC yet?
I didn't realise you were in Canada Jo, how lovely. I have ALWAYS wanted to visit PEI as my childhood favourite film was Anne of Green Gables! Is it snowing there yet? It's a wet dreary day here in London!
I wouldn't worry too much about connection times on the way to the UK as I assume there's no immigration to go through but at least 2 hours just in case your first flight is delayed. I'm not sure how it works the other way around in regards to immigration for Canada, we've only done it for the US? I'd be very surprised if travel wasn't back to relative normality by next June.

Still undecided on the car hire situation. I think I'm leaning towards keeping it as it will give us more options to do things on the way way to and from DC. It's another expense which is a pain but it's only for 4 nights, I also drive around Central London all the time so I'm hoping its not worse than that. I navigated LA last year so it definitely can't be worse than there

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 20, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
I didn't realise you were in Canada Jo, how lovely. I have ALWAYS wanted to visit PEI as my childhood favourite film was Anne of Green Gables! Is it snowing there yet? It's a wet dreary day here in London!
I wouldn't worry too much about connection times on the way to the UK as I assume there's no immigration to go through but at least 2 hours just in case your first flight is delayed. I'm not sure how it works the other way around in regards to immigration for Canada, we've only done it for the US? I'd be very surprised if travel wasn't back to relative normality by next June.

Still undecided on the car hire situation. I think I'm leaning towards keeping it as it will give us more options to do things on the way way to and from DC. It's another expense which is a pain but it's only for 4 nights, I also drive around Central London all the time so I'm hoping its not worse than that. I navigated LA last year so it definitely can't be worse than there
Anne of Green Gables has a lot to answer for. Our DD watched it, and said thats where she wanted to live when she grew up. She didnt even know which country it was filmed in. Fast forward and here we all are. Its a beautiful friendly place to live, and dont regret coming here for one minute. Just miss my family a lot. Thank goodness for video chat. No snow yet. In fact cool bright sunny days so far. When it does snow we sometimes get 2/3 feet during a storm and very cold days.

Just waiting for Canada to approve the vaccine and let us know when we might be able to get it. Have decided on Air Lingus though. Just hope prices dont sky rocket in the next week or two as people start to book travel.

If you can drive in LA, you can drive anywhere! It scared me so much I said I would never go back, and I wasn't even driving. Cant even imagine driving in London. Would need drugs I think lol. Loved DC. Have been 3 times and we will definitely go back. Think you are right. Just pay the parking and factor it in to your holiday costs.

Just cancelled our 4th planned trip to Vegas. Was planned for February, but dont think thats a possibility now. Hoping now the vaccine is available we can all start to make plans. Hope you love Philly and DC