Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Oct 20, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
dan123
Imagineer

Home CCTV

Hi

Would anyone who's had a home (external) CCTV system fitted mind posting what they paid?

I've just been quoted £900 to supply and fit a 4 channel analogue S PRO system, 4 x 5MP dome cameras and a 1TB hard drive recorder all fully and properly installed.

Just trying to work out if this is an OK price. We're in the Midlands.

Thanks
dan123 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 20, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

how long is a piece of string?!

its all about how much effort they need to go into to run the cables neatly around the house and into a central point where your DVR is.

it could be £350 it could be £2000

i'd say under a grand for a fully installed system seems reasonable. £300 to supply and £600 for two guys working over 2 days
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 20, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
how long is a piece of string?!

its all about how much effort they need to go into to run the cables neatly around the house and into a central point where your DVR is.

it could be £350 it could be £2000

i'd say under a grand for a fully installed system seems reasonable. £300 to supply and £600 for two guys working over 2 days
You wouldn't get 2 men working two days in West London installing CCTV for £600 (£150 a day each)

Two experienced CCTV guys should have it all in within a day, but that so depends on the type/size of house and where they are running the cables. Cables can be run under floorboards or in trunkng (sometimes both). Anyone can advertise CCTV installation because it's not that hard to do, but a professional installer will obviously do a better/neater job.

I don't know the quality of the system they are fitting so can't comment on that, but £900 for parts and labour sounds reasonable providing they are going to do a good job and not clip cables everywhere or stick them in trunking.

Edited at 03:36 PM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 20, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Wembleygal
Imagineer

Wembleygal's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
This is what I have:

hivehome/products/hive-view-outdoor
Wembleygal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 20, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
dan123
Imagineer

Thanks for the replies. I get the how long is a piece of string thing!

It's aprox 2500 sq ft house and he's a pro fitter, said he'd get it done in a day. I got the impression he'd be working by himself and reckon he'll source the kit for under £400 leaving £500 for his day of labour. I'm getting 2 more quotes so I'll see how they look.

I'm aware of the hive (and other) systems but I'm keen not to pay a subscription.

Edited at 04:04 PM.
dan123 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 20, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Sorry but no way will I pay anybody £500 for a days labour. Wow that’s big loot even considering all overheads such as a van etc.

Get haggling. £300 cash for labour max.

If you have the hardware in the roof or in a bedroom it’s about 2 to 3 hours work to do a nice job. I installed 4 cameras under the soffits in my house. Pulled the cables through and dropped them to a room below where a recorder is bolted down. Hot work, covered in fibreglass but not hard.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 20, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
allycat228
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by dan123 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I get the how long is a piece of string thing!

It's aprox 2500 sq ft house and he's a pro fitter, said he'd get it done in a day. I got the impression he'd be working by himself and reckon he'll source the kit for under £400 leaving £500 for his day of labour. I'm getting 2 more quotes so I'll see how they look.

I'm aware of the hive (and other) systems but I'm keen not to pay a subscription.
I don’t think you have to have a subscription
allycat228 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 20, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
dan123
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Sorry but no way will I pay anybody £500 for a days labour. Wow that’s big loot even considering all overheads such as a van etc.

Get haggling. £300 cash for labour max.

If you have the hardware in the roof or in a bedroom it’s about 2 to 3 hours work to do a nice job. I installed 4 cameras under the soffits in my house. Pulled the cables through and dropped them to a room below where a recorder is bolted down. Hot work, covered in fibreglass but not hard.
I agree, seems like a lot... I’ll keep looking. We are going to have the hard drive recorder in the loft and then cabled down to the tv (can also view on computer/tablet/smartphone)
Old 11 Oct 20, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
dan123
Imagineer

Originally Posted by allycat228 View Post
I don’t think you have to have a subscription
I believe if you don’t subscribe with Hive you only get the past 24 hours to view. For 4 cameras the subscription for 30 day viewing is £99 per year.

Edited at 09:22 PM.
Old 12 Oct 20, 12:18 AM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

We installed a Yale system in our house not long ago. 5 cameras - took a day simply because we had to route the cables awkwardly up a really high soffit. Easy to do if you’ve got a ladder!

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List