Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Nov 20, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
GoldenAvalanche
Imagineer

We have a doorbell after two doors and a floodlight ring cam that’s further away on our garage, all works fine.
GoldenAvalanche is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 20, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
dogken
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Moz View Post
Any major difference between the 2nd Gen one [£89] and the model 3 [£119]... ?

Is it worth the £30 difference for the 3, looks like the difference is setting the alarm range if ive read it right?
Got a John Lewis voucher so was going to use it for a ring doorbell...

Ta for any advice on the model
For the little difference I would get the 3, I found that the 2nd gen had a little lag between pressing the bell and getting the notification on my phone, I don't get that with the 3rd gen one.
Old 13 Nov 20, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Moz
Imagineer

Moz's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by dogken View Post
For the little difference I would get the 3, I found that the 2nd gen had a little lag between pressing the bell and getting the notification on my phone, I don't get that with the 3rd gen one.

Ta...looks like the 3 connects to Alexa and also can connect to the existing doorbell... as its down to £119 think I will get that now
Moz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 20, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by The Golfer View Post
I have them on my villa front and rear fantastic to watch the comings and going of guests. you can talk to people my MC rings the doorbell for a chat, one plus is you know exactly how long the cleaners have been in the villa
How awful, I would hate to think I was being watched all the time. Is it legal to watch people without their knowledge?
Old 13 Nov 20, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
GoldenAvalanche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by greekgranny View Post
How awful, I would hate to think I was being watched all the time. Is it legal to watch people without their knowledge?
Unfortunately as I assume the villa is in the US GDPR wouldn't apply for US citizens, if GDPR applied no it wouldn't be legal to watch/track an employee without their knowledge, they would have to be suitably informed (although not saying these cleaners aren't, but the type and extent of monitoring would affect the legality) and there would need to be a strong legal basis for doing so. It is a bit creepy that a villa owner wants to watch the "comings and goings of guests" if they are European citizens there could be some legal ramifications there as GDPR would come into play for them, I hope all guests are informed prior to booking as to why they are monitored, how their data is used, and how long stored for, though off the top of my head I couldn't think of a suitable legal basis for the excessive amount of data that would be captured. As they are paying customers I do believe it would be within the scope of GDPR.

It doesn't sit right with me either.
GoldenAvalanche is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 20, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post

Would anyone recommend the indoor cam? £49
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 20, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Rding
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Yeah I have one to monitor my pets and it’s also placed that if my house alarm goes off and the monitoring station call me I can quickly check to see if anyone’s in the house.
It’s a good cheap bit of kit.
I’ve posted before about Ring. I was an early adopter and I’ve been a tester of their software/equipment for years. They are always trying new stuff with the app. Some stuff makes it some doesn’t but they are a pretty forward thinking company and the customer service is great. Generous too sent me eight wired floodlit cameras by mistake tried to return them but after three attempts was told to either fit em or throw em. Only problem is they are the US version and the mounting bracket is a pain to fit.
Rding is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 20, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

I bought the ring doorbell 2 and chime for £69.99 in the Amazon sale. Had been having problems with DH a tad hard of hearing and not hearing our old doorbell and our little “guard dog” barking at the front door at no one, plus our living room looks out onto the back garden...
DS fitted it Friday and I did the online stuff, very straightforward, it connects to Alexa and rings all over the bungalow... even DH can’t possibly miss it... excellent picture quality and handy knowing we won’t miss any deliveries...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 20, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by The Golfer View Post
I have them on my villa front and rear fantastic to watch the comings and going of guests. you can talk to people my MC rings the doorbell for a chat, one plus is you know exactly how long the cleaners have been in the villa
Well that would put me right off ever using your villa

Proper creepy wanting to watch your guests comings and going’s

I hope people are aware they are being watched ?
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 20, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
GoldenAvalanche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by djewkes View Post
I bought the ring doorbell 2 and chime for £69.99 in the Amazon sale. Had been having problems with DH a tad hard of hearing and not hearing our old doorbell and our little “guard dog” barking at the front door at no one, plus our living room looks out onto the back garden...
DS fitted it Friday and I did the online stuff, very straightforward, it connects to Alexa and rings all over the bungalow... even DH can’t possibly miss it... excellent picture quality and handy knowing we won’t miss any deliveries...
I'm glad you're sorted now, but just to mention as well if it helps, if your DH has an iPhone it now has function where it can alert you to loud noises, so things like doorbells, fire alarms etc. My friend has limited hearing, so between her iphone and iwatch (that vibrates to alert her) it really helps. I agree he probably won't miss the Chime noise though, very loud