Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 22 Mar 16, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post

Turf and Surf - Day 12 - I told you that you can drive on water!

DAY 12 – 11/3/16 – I told you that you can drive on water!

I wake up in the night (2:30 ish) feeling really queasy and take a couple of Rennies. An hour later it’s an affair with Imodium. By morning, more Imodium is required. I certainly don’t feel like any breakfast and just about manage a cup of peppermint tea. I should mention that they are meticulous onboard the ship at all the eateries and restaurants. You are handed antibacterial wipes as you enter and are expected to wipe your hands accordingly. This has been the case since the advent of Norovirus.

During the night our cases have magically disappeared from the corridor outside our room. We pop into Concierge to say goodbyes to the team and are soon heading down the gangplank back onto terra firma. We find our cases in the collection hall and pass through Customs. We head for the car park with our cases. Just as we are loading up the car I have to make a mercy dash……………………………

Something definitely wasn’t right with my meal last night.
I’m very silent during the journey back to Walt Disney World. If you recall we left two of our cases in long term storage at Bay Lake Tower. We’ll collect those this afternoon.

Entering property on the south – east corner we need to call at our bank – Sun Trust at Disney Springs.

They’ve blocked one of our debit cards again. They advise us that in future that not only should we tell them when we are on vacation but give a range of dates stating where we might possibly be. The fraud department will then know roughly what areas we might be in when shopping. Seems to make sense.

We make our way to the Orange multi - storey car park. They are still doing construction on Lake Buena Vista Drive and there are cones everywhere. They have added greenery to the outside of the parking garage so it doesn’t look quite as bare as it did the last time we saw it.

As you drive in it tells you exactly how many spaces are free per floor.

It goes further than that. Once inside on each floor it had indicators to show you exactly where the free spaces are so you aren't driving around forever trying to find one. All very clever. We take the bridge up and over and come out by the side of the AMC cinemas. I think having been sat quiet for an hour or so I’m starting to feel a little better. Disney Springs is pretty busy. We have a stroll around and look into some of the new shops. The Star Wars Galactic Outpost draws our attention. You can’t go wrong in here for anything that’s from a Galaxy, Far, Far Away!

I feel like a coffee so we head into Starbucks. Darrin has a latte and I go with a cappuccino. We sit by the digital chalkboard. This wonderful bit of tech allows you to draw on it with your finger.

When not being used it shows a ghostly chalk outline of us drinking our coffee. Every now and again it shows what is happening in other Starbucks branches around the USA in real time. I’m quite impressed.

We want to pop into the Days of Christmas shop and so make the trek over to Marketplace. Like we need another Disney decoration!

We emerge with at least five items nicely wrapped in that Geami paper. For those not familiar with this wrapping it looks like this and is an amazing invention:

OK. Small things……………………………………………

We call in at the Marketplace Coop. This is quite an amazing store.
We pick up some lovely bath towels and flannels – all with subtle Hidden Mickeys in the weave:

I also pick up a “Grey stuff” plate.

We head back towards the Boathouse area.

We have lunch booked here and by now I am starting to feel hungry. We have a bit of time to kill so we go watch the amphicars which are at the side of restaurant.

The Amphicar is an amphibious automobile, launched at the 1961 New York Auto Show, manufactured in West Germany and marketed in the United States from 1961-1967, with production having ended in 1965. Disney have managed to obtain some of them and you can go for a “drive” on the lake.

They do 65 m.p.h. on land and 2.5 knots on water. If you want a go it’s $75 per adult and $50 per child.

We have a nosey around the shop attached to the Boathouse. If you want anything nautical, this is the place to come.

From the shop you can look into the restaurant where this dream boat sits. You can dine in it!

We check in and are shown to a table near the stage. As its lunchtime its quite a nice spot but looking at the Stonehenge of loud speakers I wouldn’t want to be sat there at night when artists are performing.

I order a cup of Lobster Bisque and it is absolutely delicious. As I said I’m starving in view of the last few hours so this goes down a treat.

Darrin forgoes a starter.

We both have lobster roll for mains – there are way too many fries and they do get left!

We just have filtered water to drink. It’s a beautiful restaurant and it’s a shame we can’t do it justice. We’ll sort that on another visit.
I said the speedboats could be dined in:

Time to get a move on. We head to Bay Lake Tower and get Bell Services to retrieve the cases we left with them. We have to sort a few things between the cases so take over a corner on the outdoor porch where we can get organised.

OK. We are eventually ready to head to the airport. We have plenty of time to get there. On arrival Darrin dumps the cases off with me near the check in desks whilst he goes to return the car back to Avis in the garage. Ten minutes later and he’s back and we start check in. That sorted we head for security. I don’t know why but MCO security always seems slow compared to other airports. Still I want to know I'm safe.

We have been advised by the BA check in that the airline now uses the new lounge – the Club at MCO. This is to the right as you head to gates 90 plus. You go up in the elevator:

We have time to do some emails and blogging and enjoy a cup of tea and a few sandwiches. The décor and atmosphere in here is far nicer than the old Delta lounge.

Our flight is called and we head to the gate. The plane isn’t ready and we hang about for what seems ages.

Eventually we start boarding. I’m feeling really tired so as soon as dinner has been served (don’t even remember what it was) I settle down and get a good six hours sleep.
All too soon we are heading up the Channel to land at Gatwick on a cold and very foggy morning.

Time to start counting down the days to Yellowstone in July!

Index: http://DIBB.in/11368522
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 16, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post

And if you were wondering about Blair, our Westie. He has spent the last 12 days at Barbara's. She has dogs of her own and is a groomer so whenever you visit expect anywhere between 6 to 8 dogs. Mr. B. made himself at home and apparently bossed everybody. Lovely shot of him and two others having a snooze:

Edited at 01:53 PM.
Old 22 Mar 16, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Grapesoda
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I really enjoyed you trip report, pity about you having the 10 bob bits on the last day!
I'm glad Blair enjoyed his vacation also x

DLP Jan 2014 ~ Sante Fe
DLP Jan 2015 ~ Cheyenne
Pretrip report Here
Report in progress Here
Food Report ~ Here
Grapesoda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 16, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

Thank you for such an interesting and informative trip report.

I loved your video on the ship's water ride.
I would be terrified .

Shall now start to read all your past reports
vowels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 16, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Redrach1903
Disney Dreaming :)

Redrach1903's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Aw what a great last day (once you felt better!).

Loving the sound of that Starbucks, how cool and you are right, the Market Place Co-op is awesome. I could have spent a fortune in there last year, can't wait to go back! I will definitely be looking for those towels - can you remember the price?

Thanks so much for sharing your amazing holiday and for getting it posted so quickly

Love the photo of wee Blair <3
Redrach1903 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 16, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Smurfck
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Loved your report, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to your next one.xx
Smurfck is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 16, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Seeley
Excited about Disney

Great report as always and love the in depth information that you always give out!
Thank you!
Old 22 Mar 16, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Brilliant report as always, thanks for sharing Geoff.
Old 22 Mar 16, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
kevbrydon
VIP Dibber

kevbrydon's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Another great report and thanks for taking the time to do it and provide lots of info once again... roll on July...
can I just quiz you on the Cruise ? you may remember me saying early on that Iv'e done the Magic 4 times and the Wonder once but not sure on the Larger class Fantasy/Dream... any thoughts on crowding and walking a lot to access things and does it feel welcoming as the smaller Magic/Wonder do with the CM's?
Old 22 Mar 16, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post

We found it just as welcoming. The food (with the exception of Animators Palate was excellent). The only con I can think of was the walking. To get from Concierge to Palo for example took some 10 to 15 minutes. That ship is over 1100 feet in length. Still, I need the exercise. Didn't feel crowded at all.
We'd do it again.