wizzo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Arrow Pizza, Wings and Stranger Things 2019 Day 10

Day Ten – 20th August 2019

THE INDEX IS HERE

The day started slightly earlier than I would have like owing to the fact that Lauren realises at 7:30am that she has left her new designer handbag in the car and it’s got all of her spending money in it. On the bright side, it was a picture-perfect morning.

The plan for today was to go to Busch Gardens. This is a break from tradition for us as we usually have a beach day when we first get to St Pete but we had been in Florida a week or more and hadn’t been on a rollercoaster! So, by 8:30 we were on the road. Being a 10am opening this morning we were there in plenty of time and joined the queue at the turnstiles. At this point we were quite near the front. Eventually, 10am rolled around and we were promptly turned away at the gate because ‘apparently’ my printed vouchers from Expedia weren’t valid at the gate despite having a barcode on. We were told we would have to go back to the ticket booths and get them converted to real tickets.

After a short wait at the ticket window I was told that the gate were wrong and they would be able to scan them. I politely told the lady in the ticket booth that “That may well be the case but I’m not walking back to the gate to be turned away again so you can convert them to real tickets please!” which she did.

We’d gone from being at the front to being in the queue with the lazy ≈≈≈≈≈ that couldn’t get out of bed on time.

To be fair, the queue moved quickly and we were soon in and heading over to Tigris to see if it opened early or if (like Sheikra) they waited until 11am.

They waited until 11am.

So we headed over to get on Cheetah Hunt instead which was now a 30 minute wait because everyone had gravitated to it as they walked in the park. We did a quick walk-on on Montu and decided to return to Cheetah Hunt later after everyone had spread out. We stopped briefly to look at the Cheetahs before breakfasting on pastries and coffee.

Lynn decided that we needed to see some animals on the way to Falcon’s Fury.

We weren’t having a lot of look this morning and our walk to Falcon’s Fury ended with us not riding that too as it was down while they replaced a part. The kids consoled themselves with a ride on the Sand Serpent. Meanwhile me and Lynn pretended we were 8 again and went on the carousel.

Walking back from the Sand Serpent we passed a woman who was dressed in normal clothes but clearly didn’t realise she had dressed herself in exactly the same colours as Mario (including a similar hat). Only me and Maddy noticed and both started humming the Mario theme tune at exactly the same time. You had to be there obviously as I don’t have a photo but me and Maddy were wetting ourselves laughing. The kids went on Kumba next and we had a drink and a sit.

Our first go on Tigris was next. I was really looking forward to this and it didn’t disappoint.

You will notice that Lynn wasn’t in the pre-ride photo and that’s because she took one look up at this ride in action and said “There’s no way you’re getting me on that!”

She missed out. This ride might not be a long one, but it’s a lot of fun. Especially if you like being upside down 100ft up and barely moving forward. My notes read ‘Excellent but not for the faint hearted. Lynn skipped it and definitely would have cried”

Then we went on the front row of Sheikra (just the three of us) before taking a pit stop for more drinks. It was rampantly hot now. More Tigris followed for the kids who rode it three times on the bounce and then we decided to slow the pace, have a sit down and boarded the train at Stanleyville for a full circuit (and a half).

Next up was Cobras Curse closely followed by another go on Montu.

According to my notes, lunch was pretzels and ice cream followed by that return to Cheetah Hunt which was now saying it was a 35 minute. I didn’t believe it, so we entered and it turned out to be no more than 20 minutes. As a family (all riding together even Lynn the wuss), this is without doubt our favourite ride in Busch Gardens. It never disappoints.

The rest of the afternoon was re-rides on our favourites, drinking gallons of drinks and stopping for VERY opportune and coincidental photo opportunities!

We left the park at 3:30pm after a lovely relaxed day. We timed it right too as the thunderstorms started as we drove back to the hotel.

In fact the weather was a bit inclement and we decided to have a run up to John’s Pass for dinner rather than risk getting rained on in Bongos.

As it turns out, the weather was better at John’s Pass than at the hotel.

We wandered through the shops we always pop in here. I made my annual pilgrimage to ‘Lids’ and bought a year’s worth of various sports based t-shirts.

After much debate (walking up and down the boardwalk looking at menus) we decided to eat in ‘The Friendly Fisherman’, somewhere we had never been to before but wouldn’t hesitate to go back to now.

It offered a nice atmosphere, had plenty of locals in (cast of Cocoon) and the grub was lovely too. I had the Captain’s Platter (a bit of everything), Lynn had Salmon Rockefeller and both kids had fried shrimp.

Everyone thoroughly enjoyed their dinner and my notes remind me that I took a photo of the rip-off ice cream shop here in John’s Pass. I’ve talked about it before. It doesn’t display any prices and there’s a reason for that………………..you need a couple of grand cash on you to pay for a family of four’s ice creams. Don’t touch with a bargepole!

Usual August bedtime ritual back at the hotel….America’s Got Talent, Baseball and bed.

Tomorrow – Beach, Baseball, Beers and Bongos (see what I did there?)

2023 Trip Report - COMPLETE HERE

My old trip reports are all HERE

wizzo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 19, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

Fab report again, We always watch AGT when we go, dunno what we will watch next year as going in May!
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 19, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
flo-tinka
Apprentice Imagineer

5 min wait for a new ride like Tigris 👍👍
Cheetah is our overall fave family ride anywhere
flo-tinka is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 19, 08:24 AM  
Link to this Post
yellowrose78
VIP Dibber

yellowrose78's Reviews
Brilliant day, love Busch Gardens! Wish you had a photo of the Mario outfit

Movieland Hotel IDrive - 2002 / POR - 2012 / 3 Weeks at OKW - 2014 / Villa at Highlands Reserve - 2016 / New York and Orlando - 2018 / Caribbean Cruise MSC Seaside - June 2019 / Orlando Covid cancelled 2020 and 2021 / Planning for Orlando 2024
yellowrose78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 19, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
mossyflossy
Imagineer

mossyflossy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Great day, idea of Mario woman did make me smile, no photo?
mossyflossy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 19, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
wizzo
Childish Halfwit

wizzo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Originally Posted by mossyflossy View Post
Great day, idea of Mario woman did make me smile, no photo?
I would have loved to but it would have been really rude. Plus me and Maddy were laughing too hard to take photos (like that's not rude).

2023 Trip Report - COMPLETE HERE

My old trip reports are all HERE

wizzo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 19, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Brilliant Busch gardens day!
margyloveswdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 19, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Great day

Joan