Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Oct 20, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyNikki
slightly serious Dibber

Neighbours against caravan on our drive

I would love some honest thoughts on this.

We have just purchased a touring caravan. With all that’s going on we just wanted to be able to get some mini holidays in. We have not long had a puppy and would love to holiday with her.

So... the day it arrived our neighbours called us and said “what the hell is that!”

We live in a cul de sac full of detached bungalows. We are in the centre of the horseshoe so our neighbours sort of overlook our drive. Most neighbours are well into retirement.

Since it’s arrival they have been around saying it makes them feel closed in and they want it gone.

Between the caravan and their front window you could fit around 5 cars so it’s not directly in front.

When we moved in a few years ago they said “you have a van, just what we didn’t want” and have since said they don’t even like cars parked on a drive they should be in your garage.

Honestly it’s giving me anxiety. I never thought of them when we had it as I was just so excited. I have checked storage options buts it’s so expensive and I would like it there to just go away at a moment’s notice.

Am I being selfish?
DisneyNikki is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 20, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
maidmarian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyNikki View Post

We have just purchased a touring caravan. With all that’s going on we just wanted to be able to get some mini holidays in. We have not long had a puppy and would love to holiday with her.

So... the day it arrived our neighbours called us and said “what the hell is that!”

We live in a cul de sac full of detached bungalows. We are in the centre of the horseshoe so our neighbours sort of overlook our drive. Most neighbours are well into retirement.

Since it’s arrival they have been around saying it makes them feel closed in and they want it gone.

Between the caravan and their front window you could fit around 5 cars so it’s not directly in front.

When we moved in a few years ago they said “you have a van, just what we didn’t want” and have since said they don’t even like cars parked on a drive they should be in your garage.

Honestly it’s giving me anxiety. I never thought of them when we had it as I was just so excited. I have checked storage options buts it’s so expensive and I would like it there to just go away at a moment’s notice.

Am I being selfish?
No you're not being selfish, it's your drive you put what you want on it.
Some neighbours think they own the blumin street!
You need to ignore it, if it's not directly in front of them there's not a lot they can do, they're certainly not being very good neighbours to you 😕

Edited at 08:30 PM.
maidmarian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 20, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Mikeandrach
Getting Excited

If it’s blocking their light I can sympathise with them but they may have no legal recourse.

Some new builds restrict parking of caravans in the deeds, worth checking if your house isn’t very old as you may have an issue there

Personally I wouldn’t like one visible from my lounge but I wouldn’t make an issue of it with otherwise good neighbours
Mikeandrach is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 20, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post

Although I think they have gone about talking to you about it the wrong way, I personally wouldn’t want to look out of my house to see someone else’s caravan. They can block out a lot of light and can spoil the view of the street, however I would I never complain.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 20, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Personally I dont like to see them by houses (or indeed worl vans) and many places now restrict them. For the sake of keeping peace with your neighbour, plus you may find it easier, to have it homed in a secure caravan parking facility - its what my parents did for years and found easier to have it serviced and cleaned there rather than parked in the ample drive
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 20, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
maidmarian
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyNikki View Post

Am I being selfish?
Is it actually parked on your drive?
maidmarian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 20, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyNikki
slightly serious Dibber

We have put up a planter on the boarder to block my husbands offending works van. They were not keen on the plants we chose as said they grow too tall so we changed them to low growing eucalyptus. Would love to plant a hedge but they like to see what’s going on.

I will not fall out with them under any circumstances. They can not speak to me but we will always speak to them.

Just feel so selfish but don’t want to do anything about it if that makes sense. X
DisneyNikki is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
DisneyNikki
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by maidmarian View Post
Is it actually parked on your drive?
Yes on our drive. We can still fit DH works van and my car on it as well. X
Link to this Post
paw
Imagineer

Mobile

Our estate was built 1970s on. Still being expanded. There is a covenant in the deeds that states Caravans cannot be kept in front of the building line. Some people do but if neighbours complain it has to go. A number of people have got around it with motor homes of various sizes.
paw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 20, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
mollybogle
Apprentice Imagineer

It’s none of their business what you have parked in your drive. At least it not some rusty old banger. My mum’s old neighbours used to have some old piles of rust (or classics as he would call them) that he would bring out the garage now and then and park in front on my mums house it used to really annoy me mainly because it was taking up a space maybe a visitor would use and his drive could easily hold 3 or 4 cars. I have a van for my business and it parked in my drive i do wonder if it annoys my neighbours mainly for when they pull out their drives it does block their view a bit but they would never say anything