Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 8 Nov 19, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
minnie52
Excited about Disney

I love the sound of Europa Park! Looking forward to hearing how the drive went from here to Efteling and maybe I can extend my trip there next year!

Those waffles look amazing! Looking forward to reading more
DLP Halloween 2021 - Davy Crockett Ranch, DLP Nov 2022 - Les Villages Natures
minnie52 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 19, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by HEMANCLOFTY View Post
Great Europa Park Days - we did FastPass for Voletareum so missed the queue theming - will def need to check it out next time 👍🏻
It's well worth it. I didn't even notice a fast pass system at Europa Park so maybe it's seasonal? Things were pretty quiet. We did think about the VR headset ticket for a future visit because that was available across a load of coasters.

Originally Posted by JLH View Post
your definitely making me want to go to Europa - almost hoping you say Efteling is not that good for teenagers so I dont feel the need to go there to!
Efteling I would say is a touch younger than Europa Park in terms of the perfect age to visit but that's all I'm giving away before the ratings

Originally Posted by Lily8 View Post
Sounds like you had a great day, and what a lovely photo of your daughter to start the day with. Such a lovely experience to share with her dad (small tent and creepy mouse notwithstanding).

The dark undertone is most definitely there in European theme parks isn't it; we noticed it in Efteling too. I think within that environment it kind of grew on us, though anywhere else we wouldn't really care for it. I suppose when you think of it, many of the old fairy tales, and most definitely the Grimm brothers' fairly tales, are really quite dark, and well... grim

I've been looking at the map, and it does look very(!) big (thanks for the offer of a paper map, but I've managed to download a good PDF version). I'm planning two days at the park, and an additional day at Rulantica - I hope it's adequate (we won't be riding any of the very scary coasters).

Food seems decent and reasonably-priced. Have you noticed, by any chance, if there are any plant-based options? I know no one goes to Germany to have a vegetarian sausage or schnitzel , but I'm hoping they still cater for that. We had very low expectations on that front from Efteling and were positively surprised. The waffles look good, but I'm with your daughter there on the sour cherry topping

The hotel where you had dinner is one of the cheaper ones; in fact if you go out of season and book in advance it's not too bad at all. I think the new hotel that just opened is even cheaper though. I contemplated a split stay with maybe a couple of nights there, and the rest in a guesthouse, but I don't think we can be bothered to move (and we'll be spending all day in the park anyway).

Looking forward to the next instalment - great report so far.
I get what you're saying about the hotel, for full on park days there really is no need and the onsite perks are not huge at EP (some early access but that's about it).

We didn't really pay much attention to the veggie options I'm afraid although Mille Fleurs between France and Italy was one we ate at on Day 2 and they definitely had some options. In general, notwithstanding the German love of meat there were so many different cuisines across the different countries that I reckon there's going to be a decent choice albeit I'd definitely do some research to avoid a lot of walking.

Originally Posted by minnie52 View Post
I love the sound of Europa Park! Looking forward to hearing how the drive went from here to Efteling and maybe I can extend my trip there next year!

Those waffles look amazing! Looking forward to reading more
Thanks, the waffles were gorgeous. The next couple of days including the drive to Efteling (and a stop off at Baden Baden on the way) should be up over the weekend
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 01:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks, will do. I'm sure we'll be fine, but good point on researching ahead to avoid more walking - DH doesn't look like he eats much, but gets really grumpy when he's hungry
Lily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Day 6 - Europa Park

The only evidence that remains of today’s breakfast

Today marks the halfway point of our holiday and we’re keen to get back into Europa Park and finish off the still extensive list of rides we haven’t got to yet. Despite walking miles we hadn’t yet really found some of the countries (Greece and Switzerland are both tucked away and we ultimately don’t visit Europa Park Ireland aka ‘Children’s World’ at all). After another okay passable campsite breakfast we head straight for Iceland at rope drop.

Iceland is the home of Wodan and Blue Fire, two of the three biggest coasters in the park and the main ones we hadn’t got round to yet. Wodan is a wooden coaster and features this grand Viking (or Lord of the Rings Gondor?) style entrance-way.

The coaster itself is a mighty beast. We opt for single rider to get in and out quicker and this proves to be a good choice as we’re on in a couple of minutes which helps a lot for the Blue Fire queue.

This ride is exciting but as often with wooden coasters, very rough. It’s like being in a minor albeit exciting car accident. We did both enjoy it but like I say rough and you need to like rollercoasters to appreciate this one. Blue Fire is next and we scoot through with just a 10 minute wait.

This was my favourite of the Europa Park rollercoasters. Fast but smooth with acceleration and plenty of thrills I made it slightly better than Silver Star (which looks the more impressive of the two IMHO). DD enjoyed it too so we’re buzzing by the time we leave Iceland

Next up we are on a mission to find Greece which is weirdly tucked away in the park and seemed hard to access. The main ride we’re after is the second of the water-coasters, Poseidon. This one just edges Portugal’s effort from Day 1 for us. We do a couple of other rides, Cassandra’s Curse (awful spinny inside weirdness ) and Atlantis Adventure - a shooting ride through ala Buzz where shockingly I get beaten in a shooting game by DD for the first time ever.

3073! there must have been something wrong with my gun

Annoyingly on the way in I had said to DD that I’d noticed in the DLP photos that she wasn't lining the gun up properly with her eyeline and showed her how to do it. This was the result and I also had to cough up bonus pocket money

I took a faux arty shot of some cobbles while I waited for DD outside the loos and we did a few minor attractions before stopping for an early lunch.

For this we moved back to the nice little courtyard area outside France where there’s a pleasingly shop and cafe lined lake that would put anyone in a relaxed frame of mind with the sun shining.
There's also a dessert steamboat

We opt for pizza/salad from the large quick service place Mille Fleurs. Almost all the EP restaurants seemed to be quick service BTW but there was never a shortage of tables.

Pizzas orders taken and fulfilled by a lady who was ruthlessly good at it!

Mine was the diavola pizza, DD the chicken schnitzel salad thing. Both were good albeit with unwanted pumpkin added, they do have several hundred tonnes of the stuff to use up I guess but eating pumpkin is never a first choice!

Followed this up with ice creams outside. DD the usual boring choice and I went for blue candy floss combined with a flavour that the sign, the server and google could only identify as ‘Green.’

YOLO

She was pretty horrified at combining green with blue candy floss but I insisted and on about the third go she scooped it out. Fuss over nothing neither flavour tasted of much other than sugar and ice cream!

In fact my ice cream wasn’t even the strangest sight of the hour because we went from there into Madame Freudenreich’s Curiosites a bizarre dark ride through a dinosaur filled garden where an old lady is holding some sort of a dinosaur party.
Yes that is a T-Rex holding a slice of birthday cake

Plenty of oddness here. We decided to leave the dark rides for a while and did another of the Autopia style rides, went on a overhead pedalling thing based on Leonardo da Vinci’s inventions (a bit like Pteradon Flyers at Islands of Adventure but taking adults too) then another slow boat ride (was it Venice?). After this it was time for a proper ride so we tried Euro-Mir in the Russia area. It’s supposed to be a space ride but it’s more like a bad nightclub themed Primeval Whirl and we left feeling faintly unwell.

The final stops of the day were in Switzerland where we waited about 20 minutes (20 mins was the peak wait time over the whole 2 days) for the Swiss bobsled ride. This looks fairly ordinary but was actually pretty exciting so worth the wait We probably did another minor ride or two over the two days but I can’t recall them all here, there were dozens of smaller attractions we missed but only one middling looking coaster - Pegasus which was over in a corner of Greece that we didn’t fancy walking back round to. Great rides here and solid (cheap) food, the shopping is a bit weak though.

In the evening we chilled out and packed most of our stuff before the travel day tomorrow. Dinner was in the campsite restaurant (see the breakfast picture from yesterday for the stage). There’s a show on, a country singer basically which was okay. The service is not brilliant in that restaurant to be honest (unlike the rest of the park). They always seemed to be understaffed. We ordered ribs and a burger and were glad to be done in there after an hour

Ribs were excellent. The burger, so-so with way too much bread. DD cleared her plate which was impressive. And that was it for Europa Park, we enjoyed this leg of the stay a lot - just one more night of the tent to survive!
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post

really enjoyed your time at EP, looks a great place

i think we will do both Efteling and EP next time, maybe make a week of it
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

Fantastic, another great day - though the likes of Wodan and Blue Fire we will only admire from a safe distance!
Lily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 19, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

another good read - how many days would you recommend you need in Europa - if we went we would probably go towards end of August but the onsite hotels are so expensive and sorry to say you haven't sold the tipee idea to me
Old 10 Nov 19, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
SuziQz
VIP Dibber

I really need to look into EP, it sounds good and a bit different. Those ribs look fab, glad they were as good as they looked.
2019 DCL - Northern Europe
2020 YC/HRH - delayed to 2022
2021 DCL - 4 night Staycation
2022 YC/HRH v2!, 2023 DCL - Alaska
2024 DCL - Spain
SuziQz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 19, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Sallyingforth
Earning More Ears

Really excited for our July visit now, think it looks lovely. and so much to do. Looking forward to the next instalments!
Sallyingforth is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 19, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Sallyingforth
Earning More Ears

We are massive ^^^^Shaun fans in our house. Goes on a bit but knows his stuff!
Sallyingforth is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List