Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 May 18, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
2waterford
VIP Dibber

Early signs of dementia

I have a family member that is causing me concern, there have been a few things lately that have rang a few alarm bells, this person is only 52.

I was wondering anyone with experience of this what were the first things you noticed.

Thank you
2waterford is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 18, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Feebee2
Imagineer

With MIL it was being unreasonable which was out of character. This was much more so than memory loss.
Hope all goes well.
Feebee2 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 18, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
redredshopper
Imagineer

We had a work colleague who just couldn’t get a simple task and ended up being sent home, he hasn’t been back to work and has since been diagnosed with dementia. He is in mid fifties, very sad.
Old 18 May 18, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Early signs; not remembering things they have just been told and asking the same question again.

Being ABSOLUTELY SURE about something that actually didn't happen at all

Also being unsure what day it is (although that can be related to lifestyle, if you work a rota 5 days over 7 or night/day shifts you can forget easily where in the week you are)
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 18, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
JudeB
Imagineer

JudeB's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
If you have doubts, please encourage them to go to their GP as soon as possible. This means if diagnosed they can be put on medication which can slow the rate of dementia.
Old 18 May 18, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
2waterford
VIP Dibber

Mobile

At the moment it's

Getting very cross over small things
Not very chatty
Lack of empathy
Not being able to keep up with a conversation if more than 1 person is involved and constantly having to back track and explain things or repeat
Arrived at a local junction in the road last week from an opposite direction and he was very confused
2waterford is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 18, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
vhm672
Imagineer

vhm672's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by 2waterford View Post
At the moment it's

Not very chatty
Lack of empathy
Not being able to keep up with a conversation if more than 1 person is involved and constantly having to back track and explain things or repeat
Arrived at a local junction in the road last week from an opposite direction and he was very confused
Having lost my Dad at Christmas to this horrible disease all of the above would worry me and is more than enough cause for a GP appointment for investigations

Edited at 02:31 PM.
vhm672 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 18, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Nic18076
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by 2waterford View Post
At the moment it's

Not very chatty
Lack of empathy
I know those things must be worrying and I would definitely suggest taking the person to the doctor. The things you listed could be signs of stress and distraction and a worsening hearing problem though.

At the moment I am very stressed about my family and as a result am probably displaying a lot of your list. I am 50 by the way.

I am not trying to downplay your worry though - my own mother has Lewy Body dementia - it’s a bit like dementia with Parkinson’s like symptoms thrown in - and the sufferer hallucinates and will see things clearly that aren’t actually there. When it first showed up we were never quite sure whether we were imagining things.
Nic18076 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 18, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

I went to my GP recently and told him my memory is so bad,...he asked "how long has this been going on?... I said "How long has what been going on? ...
macdonald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 18, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

Very sorry ,its not really a laughing matter...Just had to say it!... This problem could well be depression as 50s is very young!..Depression has these symptoms..i would get an appointment with GP..
macdonald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List