Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 21 Sep 18, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post

TUI Package Inc Car

Evening All,

Booked a TUI package to Florida back in Jan and got through it all without realizing the car I had booked was the smallest (yet most suitable according to TUI) and with the most basic insurance on it. Embarrassingly I work for TUI so should of been more aware. To cut a long story short I have been battling to try and get answers out of someone here regarding upgrade costs through TUI instead of waiting to upgrade at the Airport when I arrive. I've finally found out the upgrade costs. For the next car up WITH CDW included they wanted an extra £450. I was gobsmacked. Through reading numerous threads bigging up DFHC and seeing I can get a Full Size Car WITH CDW and WITH the same company for nearly £300 - I think its fair to say DFHC will be getting my custom in the coming days. As is always the case...the 'FREE' car hire...isn't actually free!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
ScottUTAH
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Why isn't anyone getting there own insurance? It's crazily cheaper and makes sense! Has CDW and costs only £135..
ScottUTAH is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by ScottUTAH View Post
Why isn't anyone getting there own insurance? It's crazily cheaper and makes sense! Has CDW and costs only £135..
How much did $1m of SLI insurance cost you?

Mick
Old 21 Sep 18, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Dan_Eddie View Post
Evening All,

Booked a TUI package to Florida back in Jan and got through it all without realizing the car I had booked was the smallest (yet most suitable according to TUI) and with the most basic insurance on it. Embarrassingly I work for TUI so should of been more aware. To cut a long story short I have been battling to try and get answers out of someone here regarding upgrade costs through TUI instead of waiting to upgrade at the Airport when I arrive. I've finally found out the upgrade costs. For the next car up WITH CDW included they wanted an extra £450. I was gobsmacked. Through reading numerous threads bigging up DFHC and seeing I can get a Full Size Car WITH CDW and WITH the same company for nearly £300 - I think its fair to say DFHC will be getting my custom in the coming days. As is always the case...the 'FREE' car hire...isn't actually free!
There was a very similar thread a couple of months ago about a lady who had booked Tui and turned out it didn't include CDW and only the state minimum SLI (EP) of $20k. Again she was asked for £600 from Tui to upgrade to include CDW and upgrade the SLI to $1m. She rehired from DFCH for about £300 fully insured.

Over 14 years on here and I guess 90% of Dibbers take the CDW when included by the likes of Andy. Bend a bumper, ring Alamo and they'll bring you a new car. From what I've read on here over the years I believe that if you refuse the car hire CDW they will put a big hold on your CC until blame is resolved.

SLI (EP) far more important in my opinion as it covers injury to third party persons or property. The piece of tin your driving around in may be worth $20,000 if you write it off. Hospitalise someone and that will seem like petty cash.

Mick
Old 22 Sep 18, 12:02 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

I wouldn't touch it. My well documented destruction of the front passenger suspension on a Alamo car whilst having Alamo insurance, involved one phone call to Alamo and just over an hour later the wrecker truck turned up with a replacement car. One signature to the driver , and we were on our way. No more calls from Alamo, no further contact at all in regards to the incident.

I notice that some of the insurances you mention, you have to pay first then claim back. That would have meant around $30k for me as the car was no way repairable, one chassis leg torn off the other twisted. I realise that some policies will take over the claim before payment, but you still need to be contacting insurance companies, car hire companies, filling out forms, arranging replacement car ( will your policy be valid if you write off your hire car)etc.
I'm out there on holiday, not to spend my time messing with cars.
I know you can do it and it may be right for some, but not for me.
PPM is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 18, 12:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Greyfriars
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
I wouldn't touch it. My well documented destruction of the front passenger suspension on a Alamo car whilst having Alamo insurance, involved one phone call to Alamo and just over an hour later the wrecker truck turned up with a replacement car. One signature to the driver , and we were on our way. No more calls from Alamo, no further contact at all in regards to the incident.

I notice that some of the insurances you mention, you have to pay first then claim back. That would have meant around $30k for me as the car was no way repairable, one chassis leg torn off the other twisted. I realise that some policies will take over the claim before payment, but you still need to be contacting insurance companies, car hire companies, filling out forms, arranging replacement car ( will your policy be valid if you write off your hire car)etc.
I'm out there on holiday, not to spend my time messing with cars.
I know you can do it and it may be right for some, but not for me.
When a truck decided to reverse into our brand new Alamo car Alamo had us in a new car within an hour.
Old 22 Sep 18, 02:49 AM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Its not just about the price of the insurance its also about the painless process of dealing with the aftermath of a shunt.
Old 22 Sep 18, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
So there you go Dan. Some more thoughts from Dibbers who have maybe collectively hired cars in the USA a few hundred times. Spend £10k or more on a holiday and save £25 on your car insurance - think of all the fun you can have if you have even a minor fender bender.

Just think of how much more fun you could have if you sadly injured a third party in that same fender bender. No, or inadequate, third party insurance (aka SLI and EP) - get ready for bankruptcy

However just for the sake of a bit of balance. I was almost accused a few weeks ago of being a shareholder in DFCH because I recommend him so often. He does happen to be cheaper for my 4 week full size hires and he regularly comes on here to help others but other third party brokers such as Netflights, Virgin Atlantic and usrentacar will include the appropriate insurances. As will Alamo Brits. Try them all.

Mick
Old 22 Sep 18, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
ScottUTAH
Excited about Disney

Saving £25? Average cost TUI charge is £600 for insurance, your saving over £400? Is £400 not worth a quick phone call to your insurance if something happens? Fact is, people on here who say it's not worth it haven't actually tried doing it this way.
Don't want to sound harsh or anything, I'm just saying other routes are available, people have different ways. I've only ever seen the "skip insurance and get separate car hire" advice on here. Then someone rolls in ask blah blah for car hire he's great and cheap...Sounds kinda salesmanship.

Edited at 03:23 PM.
ScottUTAH is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 18, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Saving £25? Average cost TUI charge is £600 for insurance, your saving over £400? Is £400 not worth a quick phone call to your insurance if something happens? Fact is, people on here who say it's not worth it haven't actually tried doing it this way.
Don't want to sound harsh or anything, I'm just saying other routes are available, people have different ways. I've only ever seen the "skip insurance and get separate car hire" advice on here. Then someone rolls in ask blah blah for car hire he's great and cheap...Sounds kinda salesmanship.
I’m sure it works out OK for you. Buying the insurance is easy but have you fully tried it out?
That is have you had a large accident with third parties involved and what was your experience?

I have fully tested Alamos insurance as noted in my post above, and the one phone call and a signature was all that I needed for what would have been a $30k plus claim.

In my previous post I did say that it may suit some, but not myself.
PPM is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List