Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 11 Sep 18, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
40 dollars tip for serving 4 adults and a kid at a lunch buffet. The world has gone mad. If I were Edward's Dad I'd tell him to forget his medicine degree he's planning on studying and stick to clearing dirty plates.
lol Edward looked like he should have retired 20 years ago!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 18, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I don’t recall my drinks being refilled, I am sure I get my own. I also don’t have multiple plates, I have one plate with different things on it. I didn’t know it was normal to have multiple plates, DH sometimes has a second plate but he feels guilty about it and it is very much the exception.

Accordingly the server does far less for us that at a TS meal. No idea if DH tips differently or not, but I shall be encouraging him to do so in future.
I suppose it depends where you are. Disney breakfast buffets don’t have a facility to get your own drinks.
As for the number of plates, I don’t like to mix my fruit with hot food or may decide to pop back for a pastry. I don’t feel guilty about it. Should I? Is the guilt about using multiple plates or eating the food? Having multiple plates doesn’t mean huge amounts of food, just variety.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 18, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
At Disney buffets, just like at TS, your drink is refilled multiple times whether you want it or not! By the time we were half way through a drink, another one would appear, every time. It got a bit annoying actually - what if I wanted something different, or didn't want another drink?

I agree about the plates too - I tend to go up and get some starters first, which might include something like pate which would make the plate dirty. I would not then expect to take that plate back to the buffet for my main course. Instead I would leave it on the table and by the time I'd got back to the table with my main course, I would find my original plate removed.

Then I'd go for some desserts, and again I would take a clean bowl or plate from the buffet for those, and expect to find my main course plate gone by the time I came back.

So yes, that's a fair bit of clearing.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 18, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
I suppose it depends where you are. Disney breakfast buffets don’t have a facility to get your own drinks.
As for the number of plates, I don’t like to mix my fruit with hot food or may decide to pop back for a pastry. I don’t feel guilty about it. Should I? Is the guilt about using multiple plates or eating the food? Having multiple plates doesn’t mean huge amounts of food, just variety.
I have never stayed offsite. I don’t recall my drinks being brought to me, but then again I don’t require numerius refills. I generally decide do I want fruit, cereal or hot food, I don’t have all of them. I am not saying you should feel guilty about it, just commenting about what we do and how we feel and why we don’t have multiple trips to the buffet. I am sure you are getting better value for money than me.

Edited at 09:23 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 18, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
dvc
Imagineer

dvc's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
My dad, who is American, never tips at buffets as you serve yourself. We do likewise!
dvc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 18, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I have never stayed offsite. I don’t recall my drinks being brought to me, but then again I don’t require numerius refills. I generally decide do I want fruit, cereal or hot food, I don’t have all of them. I am not saying you should feel guilty about it, just commenting about what we do and how we feel and why we don’t have multiple trips to the buffet. I am sure you are getting better value for money than me.
With the exception of a pot of coffee on the table I can’t think of any Disney buffet that requires you t get your own drinks.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 18, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Are you sure you mean buffet not quick service?

If I went to a breakfast buffet and only had cereal I would want it handed to me by Mickey himself for the price!

If you only wanted cereal or fruit, surely you would eat at a quick service restaurant, not a buffet?
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 18, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather
Imagineer

As most buffet meals I book are character meals I usually tip the same as table service, particularly when on my own as the servers often take photographs as well as all the other things they do.
Old 11 Sep 18, 11:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I don't comment on these threads ref buffets as we won't eat at them. Not for us and also we don't think the quality is there.

But to the point. My God I have just checked the prices Disney charge for a buffet per adult. Hells teeth I would want them to valet park the car, feed me and tuck me into bed for that price.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 18, 06:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

I am american and was always told 10% is the expected tip at a buffet and 15% elsewhere. I am also older so this is nothing new.

I also think that one knows the price of a buffet before one eats and it doesn't matter how much you eat. Personally, I have a small appetite so buffet food is very expensive for me and I choose not to do them.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List