Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Sep 18, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Purplefrog
slightly serious Dibber

I have just been excused jury service, due to not having childcare and as I am recovering from a major op
Am wondering if Ill get called up again ...
Purplefrog is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
fudgie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Purplefrog View Post
I have just been excused jury service, due to not having childcare and as I am recovering from a major op
I was excused once but was called up again a year later when I had to go, luckily I wasn't chosen. That was three years ago and I haven't been called up again.
fudgie is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Cherrypie
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Purplefrog View Post
Yes you will be anyone I know who has been excused gets called up pretty soon after - you must go onto a list x

The most magical place on earth
Cherrypie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
birdiesX4
Imagineer

Not sure if I would want to do it or not. DH is dreading getting called, he is in the prison service and they used to be exempt but are now available like most people.
birdiesX4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by birdiesX4 View Post
Not sure if I would want to do it or not. DH is dreading getting called, he is in the prison service and they used to be exempt but are now available like most people.
Why would he dread it? The chances are so slim. I have come across one or two work colleagues in 25 years that have been called on for jury service. I think my dad was once when I was very young but other than that nobody in my family or friends has been. It doesn’t feel like it is something anyone should dread.

I long for the day I get the letter.

OMG I just asked OH, he said he doesn’t know anyone that has been called for jury service too. I asked would he like to do it he said “no for embezzlement, yes for a nice juicy murder”.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
Why would he dread it? The chances are so slim. I have come across one or two work colleagues in 25 years that have been called on for jury service. I think my dad was once when I was very young but other than that nobody in my family or friends has been. It doesn’t feel like it is something anyone should dread.

OMG I just asked OH, he said he doesn’t know anyone that has been called for jury service too. I asked would he like to do it he said “no for embezzlement, yes for a nice juicy murder”.
Perhaps I'm just unlucky then as I've done it twice! Once locally the other the Old Bailey!

Second time was awful with jurors disagreeing and stuck for days in the deliberating room!
ROBBOTOO is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
Bumbags?
You could wear a poncho and ask if your seat reclined ?!
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Kd0758
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post

I was called in 2015 and didn’t get in to a trial so we decided to sit in the public gallery when we had a week off. It was a murder trial and was one of the most interesting things I’ve ever done.
Kd0758 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Bluefish
Getting Excited

I have done jury service, last year. It was a murder case with 2 accused and lasted 5 weeks.

It was fascinating and very surreal you live in a bubble for the whole time being very odd to go home at the end of every day and not being able to talk about your day.

Ours was quite a high profile case and we had to avoid as much media and TV as we could.

The hardest thing I found was the enormity of our verdict. Not only getting the right decision but the right decision for the right reasons knowing the impact on the deceased family and the accused.

The two accused were very young and got life sentences. I have no doubt at all our decision was correct but we did deliberated for 2 days as both verdicts had to be unanimous.

One accused was going for grounds of diminished responsibility and the other was pleading not guilty.

It was a great experience but due to the case we were all given exempt from further jury service letters that we can use if we ever get called again.
Bluefish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Cherrypie View Post
Yes you will be anyone I know who has been excused gets called up pretty soon after - you must go onto a list x
Im not sure about that. I got called about 20 years ago. I'd not long moved house and had a baby. I phoned and was excused. Not had a peep since.
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List