Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 21 Sep 18, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Megandllsmum View Post
also used to hate how people wrote happy birthday in my Xmas cards or vice versa cos I'm a Christmas baby
Every December baby feels your pain here. When I was a kid I was gutted every time I got a 'joint xmas and birthday' present because people couldn't be bothered to buy two gifts. Even now I end up getting half my bday cards and pressies at xmas because people don't want to post them seperatley. And I'm 9th Dec so like 2 weeks before! Having a birthday in December never feels special.

On the plus side my DH knows how I feel about it so always makes a big fuss about my birthday
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

I am not a fan of cards.

We buy a several packets for my children to give to their classmates, everyone else gets a Facebook/Twitter message and a donation is made to Mary's Meals. The only exception is our neighbours, most who are retired. My children hand deliver these cards. They also decorated the envelopes.

A lot of people I know give s charity gift rather than send cards. It seems a better way to spread Peace and Joy.🎄
vowels is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
Every December baby feels your pain here. When I was a kid I was gutted every time I got a 'joint xmas and birthday' present because people couldn't be bothered to buy two gifts. Even now I end up getting half my bday cards and pressies at xmas because people don't want to post them seperatley. And I'm 9th Dec so like 2 weeks before! Having a birthday in December never feels special.

On the plus side my DH knows how I feel about it so always makes a big fuss about my birthday
My OH is the same thank god cos I think he's dick of me telling him about my birthday as a kid lol, he usually gets my card well before December but that's cos most card shops de ote more of there space to Xmas than anything else, I know one I work in does... I've been covered in glitter for bloomin weeks lol
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Not exclusively but generally I would expect to see a trend toward older more mature dibbers who have been brought uo with Xmas cards being the only method for exchanging cheer and seasons facilitations, being the senders, and younger dibbers leaning toward electronic.

Remenber that people without the internet have no option, such as your great aunt flo.

Perhaps MH could put a poll up to get the age trends?

I love a poll

Disney332
Old 21 Sep 18, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Eeyore rocks
VIP Dibber

Eeyore rocks's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Megandllsmum View Post
Hate ecards, also used to hate how people wrote happy birthday in my Xmas cards or vice versa cos I'm a Christmas baby
Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post

Another December baby here too.. though this year I’m the big 50... yikes...
Yes, when little it was normally..this is your birthday AND Christmas present...

Sorry op..a bit off topic there...

I love getting cards, though over the years they are getting less and less..
There used to be a DIBBer that done a Christmas card exchange...people used to sign up and send out 5 cards...but some never bothered as one year I only received 2!

Orlando..Feb 1998, Jun 2003, Nov 2004, Dec 2008, Nov 2009, Aug 2010, Nov 2010, Sep 2011, Nov 2012, Nov 2013, Oct 2014, Sept 2015, Nov 2015, Sept 16, Jan 2017, Nov 2017, Jan 2018, June 2018, Dec 2018, June 2019, Dec 2019, Feb 2022, May 2023, Oct 2024.

Las Vegas..Dec 1998, Jan 2002, Jan 2004, Jan 2005, May 2006, Mar 2009, Apr 2011, Jan 2012, Aug 2012, Jan 2013, Feb 2014, Feb 2015 Feb 2016, Nov 2016.

New York...Nov 2018, Dec 2021.
Eeyore rocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post

I totally agree with the OP.
Theres just the 3 of us and we never see or hear from anyone.
Its just nice to get a card in the post to know that we're remembered and people know we still exist.
I hate all the facebook posts of-oh we're not sending cards this year, we're donating to charity. So this is your merry Christmas everyone.

I highly doubt a lot of them actually do donate.

Im not expecting a card from everyone, just the odd one from family or close friends that matter.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

I think Christmas cards are a waste of money, and most importantly paper. Most you can't recycle as they are studded with fake diamonds or glitter or something else.

I buy them for close family as it's 'expected' (don't get me started on that one!) but nobody else gets them. I prefer to write a letter - it's more meaningful. For work colleagues I generally bake cookies or something instead.

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

We have a no Xmas card pact amongst colleagues. It is great not having that to faff about. Why would I need 8 cards from people I work with on Christmas Eve and the day after boxing day? We say "merry Christmas" on the way out of the door...
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

Originally Posted by NickyMouse View Post
I totally agree with the OP.
Theres just the 3 of us and we never see or hear from anyone.
Its just nice to get a card in the post to know that we're remembered and people know we still exist.
I hate all the facebook posts of-oh we're not sending cards this year, we're donating to charity. So this is your merry Christmas everyone.

I highly doubt a lot of them actually do donate.

Im not expecting a card from everyone, just the odd one from family or close friends that matter.

You may prefer receiving and sending cards, that is your choice and is therefore great.

However, those of us who choose to spread the Christmas message in other ways should have our choice respected.

The idea that we lie and do not donate to charity is offensive. We donate, as do the people I know who also make this choice.

Have a Merry Christmas. 🎄
I'll donate a pound to Mary's Meals for this greeting
vowels is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
Whilst drinking my costa I thought it was the right time to respectfully request that people send actual Christmas cards this year, as there is nothing nicer than opening a real Christmas card delivered by the postman, and displaying it in your home.

I think the so called electronic Christmas cards are an insult to people, and I immediately press the delete button if I ever get one (how on earth is an electronic picture a card).

Thank you
I don't like electronic cards either, also find it a bit insulting and would rather not get one at all. I must admit though, I am not good at sending cards and I didn't send any last year.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List