Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 7 May 14, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

What is wrong with people ! How can someone just get your name and say these things. Disgusting
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 14, 12:53 AM  
Link to this Post
jdybnsn
Imagineer

Not much luck with their board Moderators I'm afraid,... even though their rules state its to be run in the frame of a 'family forum' and they don't allow personal attacks, sexual insults (which this was), harrassment, profane language, etc, etc,

... they won't remove the post, or my name from it....they have only edited the worst of it.

**GOLD CASTAWAY CAY MEMBERS !**Feb2002- I Drive Feb2004- PORS Feb2006 -Regal Palms/4 Night Disney Wonder Feb2008- Reunion /Disney Magic Western/Omni@CG Feb2010 - Reunion/Disney Magic Eastern/Hammock Beach PalmCoast July2010- Disney Magic 8 Night Dover-Barcelona July2011 Disney Magic10 Night Med.Feb2012-Anna Maria Island/Disney Dream X2/Hyatt GC. May 2014 Disney Fantasy Eastern
jdybnsn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 14, 02:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Heather1957
Imagineer

I'm sorry this is happening to you as I know from personal experience how upsetting this kind of cyber bullying can be!

There are plenty of cowards who happily hide behind the anonymity of a keyboard but actually they reveal an awful lot about themselves when they post these hateful things.

It makes you wonder what kind if people they are in the real world. Cowards is the word that immediately comes to mind.

It is a shame that the mods are not dealing with this but as already suggested take screen shots of everything posted (that's what I am doing) and copy all messages sent to the mods/admin, if it continues and you have kept everything you may have built up enough evidence for a harassment/stalking case and if the owners of the site fail to take any action they could possibly face some responsibility themselves.

These matters should be taken seriously as it is the only way will those responsible be called out for who they really are!

Again you have my sympathy!
Old 8 May 14, 04:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Ariel88
slightly serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 3
Mobile

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. Some people are just so cruel in this world! I have had a similar experience where someone set up a fake Facebook account using my photos but a slightly different surname. They were sending harrassing messages to my friends and family and whilst I reported them to Facebook several times nothing was done about it!

Like others have said, screenshot everything and save it up in case you do have to go down the legal route in the future. Thankfully this person has stopped the messages (although the profile is still there) so I've saved everything incase they might rear their ugly head again! Some people are just such low lives they obviously get a kick out of this stuff. But it's awful on you to have to go through it.
Ariel88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 14, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Leanne1977
Imagineer

Leanne1977's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
How awful for you. What the hell is wrong with people these days! I don't have any advice for you I'm afraid but wanted to send you a (((hug))) xx

WDW Villa Jul/Aug 2005
DLP SL Jan/Feb 2006, DCR Feb 2007, Cheyenne Feb 2008, NB Nov 2009, Ibis July 2010
WDW Pop Sept 2006
WDW ASM/HRH/POP Sept 2007 free DDP
WDW Regal Sun/SSR/CIAS May 2008
WDW CIAS/RPR/Cypress Pointe GV Aug 2008
WDW Highgate Park/AKV/BCV Dec 2008
WDW SSR/Pop May 2009
WDW RPR/BCV/BWV/VB/VWL/OKW/Kidani/DCL Jul/Aug 2009
WDW Dibb Villa/Regal Sun May 2010
WDW BCV/VB/DCL Oct/Nov 2010 Wedding trip!
WDW SSR/Dibb Villa/VB Oct 2011 1st wedding anniversary trip!
WDW OKW/VB/Peabody Aug 2013
Leanne1977 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 14, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
peagusus66
Imagineer

do they run their board through pro boards or similar ? you could always report the board to whomever they use for their forum pro boards have very strict policies as I mod a board there, to the extent that its hardly worth typing anything TBH
peagusus66 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 14, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
figment05
Very Serious Dibber

contact the web site owners/moderators advising that you believe they may be in breach of the data protection act as they are allowing others to see your personal information. Not sure if they are or not but this definition from data protection act would based on the info you have supplied suggest they are.

Personal data means data which relate to a living individual who can be identified –

(a) from those data, or

(b) from those data and other information which is in the possession of, or is likely to come into the possession of, the data controller,

and includes any expression of opinion about the individual and any indication of the intentions of the data controller or any other person in respect of the individual.
figment05 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 14, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 324
Guidebook Photos: 485
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Someone on this thread mentioned asking me as a site owner, however there probably isn't much I can advise, especially as I don't know the website or what was actually posted.

I'm no lawyer so the following is just my thoughts on this.

Any communication with the moderators or site owner should be done in a polite manner. Remember you are angry at the poster and although the site owner/moderators are allowing the comments to stay public they are not the ones that actually posted the comments. They are more likely to side with you and be more helpful if you are polite.

I occasionally get contacted to remove something on the forums, normally if the contact is polite and the item to be removed doesn't impact the site, then I will usually remove it. However if the contact is rude or demanding then normally I won't remove it.

Be very careful at threatening legal action. I say this because you should only threaten legal action if you are actually prepared to take that step. Too many people think threatening legal action will get them what they want, when in fact the opposite is true.

I have been threatened with legal action on several occasions, usually by some irate person that hasn't got a clue what they are saying or what their legal position actually is, it just makes them look silly and uneducated. As soon as I'm threatened with legal action I would cut communication and wait until I receive a letter from their legal representative. It is pointless sending emails and messages that can be copied and misconstrued against you, so it's easier just to cut communications.

So threatening legal action would normally make your task harder, so I would advise against this.

As much as you might think your name and address are personal information, as far as I'm aware, they can legally be posted online by someone other than yourself and a site owner has no legal obligation to remove them.

If your name is posted and the person posts what they think of you, that again isn't illegal, it's their opinion and the site owner doesn't have to remove it.
If the person posts your name and states that you are something that you are not, lets say a 'thief' then that can be classed as defamatory and could be libellous. In this case you would have a civil case against the poster.

Trying to pursue a civil case against the poster would prove challenging though. Nearly everyone that posts online can be traced relatively easy, that isn't that hard part. The hard part is with the libel law itself. To win a libel case you usually need to prove damages and that is hard to do.

I would identify and contact the site owner, not the moderators. on smaller sites the moderator may well be the site owner but mostly the site owner is different to the moderators. You might get further with the actual site owner.
Old 8 May 14, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by peagusus66 View Post
do they run their board through pro boards or similar ? you could always report the board to whomever they use for their forum pro boards have very strict policies as I mod a board there, to the extent that its hardly worth typing anything TBH
I would suggest this too.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 14, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
jdybnsn
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Someone on this thread mentioned asking me as a site owner, however there probably isn't much I can advise, especially as I don't know the website or what was actually posted.

I'm no lawyer so the following is just my thoughts on this.

Any communication with the moderators or site owner should be done in a polite manner. Remember you are angry at the poster and although the site owner/moderators are allowing the comments to stay public they are not the ones that actually posted the comments. They are more likely to side with you and be more helpful if you are polite.

I occasionally get contacted to remove something on the forums, normally if the contact is polite and the item to be removed doesn't impact the site, then I will usually remove it. However if the contact is rude or demanding then normally I won't remove it.

Be very careful at threatening legal action. I say this because you should only threaten legal action if you are actually prepared to take that step. Too many people think threatening legal action will get them what they want, when in fact the opposite is true.

I have been threatened with legal action on several occasions, usually by some irate person that hasn't got a clue what they are saying or what their legal position actually is, it just makes them look silly and uneducated. As soon as I'm threatened with legal action I would cut communication and wait until I receive a letter from their legal representative. It is pointless sending emails and messages that can be copied and misconstrued against you, so it's easier just to cut communications.

So threatening legal action would normally make your task harder, so I would advise against this.

As much as you might think your name and address are personal information, as far as I'm aware, they can legally be posted online by someone other than yourself and a site owner has no legal obligation to remove them.

If your name is posted and the person posts what they think of you, that again isn't illegal, it's their opinion and the site owner doesn't have to remove it.
If the person posts your name and states that you are something that you are not, lets say a 'thief' then that can be classed as defamatory and could be libellous. In this case you would have a civil case against the poster.

Trying to pursue a civil case against the poster would prove challenging though. Nearly everyone that posts online can be traced relatively easy, that isn't that hard part. The hard part is with the libel law itself. To win a libel case you usually need to prove damages and that is hard to do.

I would identify and contact the site owner, not the moderators. on smaller sites the moderator may well be the site owner but mostly the site owner is different to the moderators. You might get further with the actual site owner.
Thank you so much for taking the time & trouble to post Stu

... I really appreciate your advice.

**GOLD CASTAWAY CAY MEMBERS !**Feb2002- I Drive Feb2004- PORS Feb2006 -Regal Palms/4 Night Disney Wonder Feb2008- Reunion /Disney Magic Western/Omni@CG Feb2010 - Reunion/Disney Magic Eastern/Hammock Beach PalmCoast July2010- Disney Magic 8 Night Dover-Barcelona July2011 Disney Magic10 Night Med.Feb2012-Anna Maria Island/Disney Dream X2/Hyatt GC. May 2014 Disney Fantasy Eastern
jdybnsn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread