Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Jul 19, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
letty
Imagineer

Amazon account hacked

I had an email from amazon the other morning saying thank you for changing your email address ( which I clearly hadn't ).Luckily I was able to log into my amazon account on my iPhone with face recognition to see someone had ordered an apple watch at £429.

Cue endless on line chat with amazon then a phonecall to them ( when i eventually found a number to speak to someone ) which in turn led to a conversation with my bank which said amazon would have to reimburse me as the payment had already gone through. Amazon told me the bank would have to refund the payment!

So 6 phone calls later ( and two days) the bank have finally refunded me, thank goodness!
Just thought I would share this info, which has made me much more aware of my online security and the need to change passwords regularly
Old 27 Jul 19, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Glad you've managed to sort things out and are getting your money back.
I've had problems with my Amazon account on and off for about a year although nothing as bad as you have had.
I've had reviews for products in my name even though I've never bought these products and I've lost count of how many times they've locked me out of my account I couldn't even use my fire stick the last time.
Sometimes these things are more trouble than they're worth.
Old 27 Jul 19, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
SMAX
Imagineer

SMAX's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Guidebook Photos: 69
Two factor authentication is the way to secure your amazon account. You will need an app or SMS to generate a code to access it from a new device.

amazon/gp/help/cus...deId=202025410

Edited at 10:42 AM.
SMAX is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 19, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Mine was hacked a few years back. I had bought my son the PS4 VR helmet for Xmas and a few months later I had an email informing me they were sorry that it was faulty and they had sent out a replacement and could I return the original! I logged in and the replacement had been shipped to some dodgy PO Box address that had been added to my account. They were very good but luckily it hadn’t cost me anything just the inconvenience of changing passwords and having to contact Amazon.
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 19, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
letty
Imagineer

Just actually done that after reading your reply, thank you
Old 27 Jul 19, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Enable 2 stage authentification. Then they can only get on on the browser and device you’ve authorized via a text message code.
Old 27 Jul 19, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
letty
Imagineer

Thanks SMAX and YorkshireT , I have sorted that now.
Old 27 Jul 19, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Enable 2 stage authentification. Then they can only get on on the browser and device you’ve authorized via a text message code.
Best advice is enable 2SA on every account that supports it. Banks, shopping, service providers, email, etc. etc.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 19, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Right off to do mine now as I used Amazon an awful lot. Thanks for the Heads Up OP & SMAX and YT for a timely reminder to us all.
Old 27 Jul 19, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
floridafever
Earning More Ears

Thanks for posting and info regarding security just updated.
floridafever is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List