Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 17 May 20, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
katy341
Imagineer

The Blake-woods: 'you couldn't make it up' trip! Day 3

Thurs 15th Feb, 2018

No pics guys sorry but there is a genuine reason!

So, in yesterdays day I mentioned waking up at 4.40am not being able to move or talk and as a result, I was left crying (silently!) in bed until Jason woke up and came in to check on me.

I mouthed the word hospital.

Jason naturally was in an absolute panic. He called down to reception and they put him through to their onsite Doctor. The doctor asked Jase about my symptoms. He asked to speak with me but I couldn't respond. He said I sounded too ill to be seen by an onsite doctor and recommended I sought medical treatment by either Jason taking me or calling for an ambulance. There was NO WAY i was going in an ambulance...I didn't want to frighten the children and it just wasn't happening. He spoke to the children and said I needed some antibiotics as i had a bug and that he would be taking me to a doctor. We left the children (please don't comment saying i was wrong to leave them) in the villa. They are very sensible children. They had their phone and Jason informed reception, mousekeeping would not be required. The kids knew not to leave the room and Jason text them regularly whilst we were gone. I don't think they moved other than to get food from the fridge! They indulged in American tv!

Anyway, back to us...we didn't have a clue where to go. Jason had only driven in America once and that was on Tuesday to get us from the airport to OKW... I couldn't help with sat nav or directions so he pulled in to Centra-Care after reaching out to you lovely dibbers (Thanks especially to Mr. Morrow! )

They were FANTASTIC! We did have platinum insurance with Axa Sun-life and Jason called them whilst we were waiting to be seen. They advised us who to see, what to do etc and basically we were covered for everything and anything. The lovely receptionist gave us two choices, either fax through policy etc to Sun-life and get them to authorise treatment or pay on credit card and sort out later. As we had already spoken with our insurance, Jason decided to put it on credit card as it was quicker (plus he was in a state, panicking).

I was taken through on my own first, had blood pressure, temp etc done and then went back to wait with Jason for a doctor. Once up, with the support of a nurse, I could walk but felt as if razor blades were touching every part of my skin. I was incredibly dizzy and just felt awful.

I saw a doctor who told me I had a 'severe case' of Strep A. He asked when I had flown to which Jase answered 2 days ago...he said it was most likely I had caught it from the plane...dirty cup/touched something etc. I will never know but from now on I will ALWAYS take anti-bac wipes for the plane! (and that's before Covid-19 hit!)
The doctor prescribed me antibiotics, lidocaine mouth rinse and tablets to bring my fever down.

Back at OKW, I went to bed, the kids and Jase went to the pool...they ate at the 'Turtle shack' poolside quick service counter. They had sandwiches, crisps, rice krispy treats...though Tom didn't quite get the concept of ddp snack credits and came back with a boat load of treats that he thought were free...turns out he had used the pin i set (same as the alarm code back home!) serves me right i suppose

The rest of the day, Jason and the kids stayed onsite..they explored, went to check out the other pools, and had a resort day. I felt so awful for them missing out but they assured me they had fun.
katy341 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 20, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

What an awful experience for you. It shows that the money you spend on insurance could be the best investment of your life.
Glad the children took it in their stride and still managed to have fun.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 20, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

Oh my goodness how awful and frightening for you. I always wipe everything at my seat down with antibac wipes after catching really bad colds twice, which I swear I caught on the plane - my family laugh at me, but after reading this theirs will be wiped down too.
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 20, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
katy341
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
What an awful experience for you. It shows that the money you spend on insurance could be the best investment of your life.
Glad the children took it in their stride and still managed to have fun.
Absolutely! I'm glad he called them though, they went the the process with us really well. Nobody tried to make us pay on credit card but Jason just was worried of delaying treatment or medication if having to wait for the insurance to authorise it. Having spoken with them, he felt happy to go ahead and upon coming home and claiming it, it was a piece of cake!
katy341 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 20, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

What a terrible experience for you. Definitely packing some anti bacteria wipes now.
Old 17 May 20, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
katy341
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by sam7 View Post
Oh my goodness how awful and frightening for you. I always wipe everything at my seat down with antibac wipes after catching really bad colds twice, which I swear I caught on the plane - my family laugh at me, but after reading this theirs will be wiped down too.
Absolutely! I will 100%be doing what you do on all flights. I read that the seatbelt buckle is THE dirtiest thing on a plane. Whilst j realise you cant help the wire circulating, you can help with what you touch! I reckon with what's going on now people will most likely anti bac everything but we for certain will x
Old 17 May 20, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

This sounds just awful you must have been so worried and thank goodness you had good insurance
Old 17 May 20, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamingdisney
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I had a very similar experience when we were there in December and reading this just reminded me how awful I felt! Again, grateful for good travel insurance and the NHS back home!
dreamingdisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 20, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
ILoveDaveLamb
Imagineer

Thank goodness you got treated quickly. Hope you felt better soon.
Old 17 May 20, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

Glad you got seen easily and insurance were helpful. We already antibac the trays, screen, seatbelt etc on the plane and will definitely in future having read this and with covid.