Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 5 Jun 20, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

agreed thats not a funflat as the sidewall stays intact hence runflat but for 50 miles MAX

fwiw why the downer on kwik fit ive had puntures repaired there a few times no issues whatsoever, also replaced some exhaust brackets on my old car for free , well when isay free i bunged 20 quid in the lads biscuit/tea fund for the trouble but they didnt charge me

probably a bit like buying a bike fro halfords the get derided for not buying from a 'proper' bike shop

like all chains there are good and bad ones and everyone can have an opinion

imo of course
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 20, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
force ten
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
agreed thats not a funflat as the sidewall stays intact hence runflat but for 50 miles MAX

fwiw why the downer on kwik fit ive had puntures repaired there a few times no issues whatsoever, also replaced some exhaust brackets on my old car for free , well when isay free i bunged 20 quid in the lads biscuit/tea fund for the trouble but they didnt charge me

probably a bit like buying a bike fro halfords the get derided for not buying from a 'proper' bike shop

like all chains there are good and bad ones and everyone can have an opinion

imo of course
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/inside-kwik-fit

l am not going to say to much on a public forum but a quick google search for kwik fit rip offs makes for interesting reading
force ten is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 20, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by force ten View Post
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/inside-kwik-fit

l am not going to say to much on a public forum but a quick google search for kwik fit rip offs makes for interesting reading
to be fair could probably find rip offs online for every garage chain & backstreet operators...
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 20, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I have personally found kwik fit to be very overpriced for tyres and exhausts compared to local independent garages, and when I've have used them they were trying to push for work that didn't even need doing (same things happened to friends/family).
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 20, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We have a local tyre fitter and we have booked them online at times and it works out cheaper. Same decent tyres, same depot, Costco always came out dearer for our cars. Although they are very good here (Thurrock, Essex) Plus the money you spend in store waiting for them to change the tyres!
Old 5 Jun 20, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
I have personally found kwik fit to be very overpriced for tyres and exhausts compared to local independent garages, and when I've have used them they were trying to push for work that didn't even need doing (same things happened to friends/family).
agreed dont think ive ever bought tyres from them , other than when i had company cars so didnt have much option/or care less.

but for quick puncture repairs or oil changes had no bother
Old 5 Jun 20, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by force ten View Post
glad that you managed to get to the tyre place safely lets hope they can sort it out quickly

keep us informed as to what they say
So it was a new tyre - £320 😳😳
Apparently Continental say you can repair these tyres. The stuff it’s filled with is a tar like substance and then say you are supposed to peel it back but the tyre place said when they have done it you then have to smooth it down and it sometimes goes through to the rope. I think I’ve remembered all that right! In any event mine couldn’t be repaired because of where it was
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 20, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Pupbelly
Very Serious Dibber

22” wheels! What’s the vehicle? (Sorry if missed it earlier on)
Found it. Some kind of Audi. The pitfalls of oversized rims with ultra low profile tyres. Completely pointless apart from looking pretty. Sorry, just my input, and I am a car anorak, I just don’t see the need for such oversized wheels on urban chariots that ultimately cost the owner/leaser during ownership.

Edited at 01:57 PM.
Pupbelly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 20, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
Apparently Continental say you can repair these tyres. The stuff it’s filled with is a tar like substance and then say you are supposed to peel it back but the tyre place said when they have done it you then have to smooth it down and it sometimes goes through to the rope. I think I’ve remembered all that right! In any event mine couldn’t be repaired because of where it was
ouch so all 4 corners £1280

serious question & not a dig ,honest, did you check out tyre prices before buying the car ? its always on my list to check replacement costs

EDIT just ran the size through tyre shopper

cheapest 277 tops out at 500... each

Edited at 01:56 PM.
Old 5 Jun 20, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
force ten
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
looks like they have fitted a conti sport contact 6 and that is a very big tyre so not surprised by the price

they will have deemed it un reparable due to the proximity of damage to the sidewall of the tyre

what they class as a minor puncture repair has to be in the centre ¾ of the tyre tread the minor repair area anything outside this will be classed as un reparable because the damage is to close to the sidewall

btmauk/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Minor-repairs-to-passenger-car-and-light-van-tyres.pdf
force ten is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List